Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - London Congestion Zone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

London Congestion Zone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyndareusone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: London Congestion Zone Reply with quote

I have a Nuvi 350 which has recently been updated to V9 maps. I live in excess of 400 miles from London but I am contemplating driving to South London in the near future. My question is: Does the Nuvi 350 with Avoidences/Toll Roads switched on detect, and therefore avoid, the London Congestion Charge Zone?
Thanks in anticipation for any information.
redsquirrel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 660FM does not avoid the congestion charge zone Sad

What's even more annoying is that it takes me into it for a total distance of about 400 yards when I visit my daughter. Luckily I never visit her when the congestion charge is active so I have never actually had to pay any money.
DriveSmart (pending disposal Sad )
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsquirrel,

Do you have the box marked Avoid Toll Roads ticked, in the navigation section of the setup.

The 660FM knows the M6 Toll Road is exactly that and can avoid it.

I have never tried my 660FM in London and would be interested to see if it can be told to avoid the congestion charge zone
GPS SW Version 3.00
Bluetooth SW Version 3.40
GTM SW Version 4.80
Map Info CN Europe NT 2010.30
redsquirrel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captureboy wrote:
redsquirrel,

Do you have the box marked Avoid Toll Roads ticked, in the navigation section of the setup.

I didn't but I do now Very Happy

It might be a week or two before I am in London again but will report back the result of making the change assuming no-one else answers before then. There must be some London based Nuvi users who can test it out before then though.
DriveSmart (pending disposal Sad )
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know precisely zilch about Nuvi. But with my Tom Toms and all other satnavs I've seen, there is a facility to plot a route, then to preview it. Including zooming in on the route to look where it goes. Can't you do that and zoom to look at how it behaves at London? - if it's avoiding the congestion charge zone it should do a certain amount of turning about. There is (allegedly) a through route avoiding it too.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I know that the Garmin units I've used (GPSV, I3 and Nuvi 350) have never avoided the Humber bridge, the M4 bridge into Wales, the M6 toll (although depending on where I'm going it thinks the M6 is faster so will take that) or the London congestion charging zone. If anyonre has had a different experience please let us all know.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems is that it is not an "avoid at all costs" option, it is a "try to avoid" option, and in fact, in the latest versions of MapSource, the routing preference is referred to as a "try to avoid" option.

Having said that, the London Congestion Charging Zone is not a toll road, and hence I do not believe the current units will attempt to bypass it at all. I think this is a mapping issue though, so may well be fixed by the new maps due out in the next few months.
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrian_anastas wrote:
If anyonre has had a different experience please let us all know.

With "Avoid toll roads" set off my Nuvi 300 was keen to use a short strech of the M6 Toll road. I am far too mean to pay £4 to save a couple of minutes. Turning on "Avoid toll roads" changes the routing to match my requirement.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, in my reply last night I should have been clearer - it will, if possible, avoid toll roads (although not the congestion charge zone), but there will be times when the route is such that it still uses the toll road, hence why Garmin are now referring to the option as a "try to avoid". In your case, it could avoid the M6 Toll Road - I plotted a route last night that used the M4 Severn Toll Bridge - when I asked it to avoid toll roads, it used the M48 Severn Toll Bridge instead Smile
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
In your case, it could avoid the M6 Toll Road - I plotted a route last night that used the M4 Severn Toll Bridge - when I asked it to avoid toll roads, it used the M48 Severn Toll Bridge instead Smile

Oh yes, I do try and avoid the Severn Bridge where possible (meanness again) but I do remember when forced that way by the July floods being puzzled why the Nuvi wanted to take me over the old bridge. I assume it is a mapping error.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did wonder if the old Severn Bridge was a mapping error.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M48 Old Severn Bridge is like the new M4 one - a Toll charge. BUT in both cases, the toll only operates one way, when going into Wales. Heading east, both are free. Looking at my Tom Tom map, the westbound carriageway is coloured green, for Toll Road, but eastbound is normal road colour.
My Kangoo van costs £10.20, whereas a Kangoo car costs only £5.10 - so does a Landrover twice the size of my van. Evil or Very Mad Everybody say "Aaaaaah!"

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice feature of TomTom; Garmin don't give you access to that level of detail to work out whether the Navteq mapping or the Garmin is at fault here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: