Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman S70 speed camera audio alert wav file and faults
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman S70 speed camera audio alert wav file and faults
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jm202067
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Navman S70 speed camera audio alert wav file and faults Reply with quote

Hi, I have just purchased a new Navman S70 sat nav unit. This model now uses the new Navdesk 2008 software. Installation of the speed camera database seems pretty straight forward if slightly different to earlier versions.
Ie; Open my maps.
Select custion poi's,
Add new poi
Use *.* to find the asc file
Select new category and type in 'gatso 20' for example,
Then add the Bmp file for the camera icon in the box below,

After this add sound file can be selected. As there is no default file on the sat nav software and none as yet supplied with the Navman camera database as yet i have no camera warning sound.

Has anone got any links to speed camera beep type wav warning files or can someone let me know if i can pull one from one of the non navman speed camera database files on the site and import it to my navman

Last edited by jm202067 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need WAV files for the device you can download a set of audio warnings in ogg format that are intended for the TomTom and Route 66 users from This Page, then use Audacity to open the ogg file prior to using the Export as WAV file to get the format you require.

I should stress the above method will produce WAV audio camera warning files, but I have no knowledge of using them on a Navman device - Mike
jm202067
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Speed camera warning sounds for S70 Reply with quote

I have managed to find the original Navman warning sounds on the backup cd that came with the sat nav. The warning sound wav file was in the downloadable files file on the cd. I just saved the file to my desktop and then selected 'add safety cam wav' then add to device. It all works fine when diriving now. I would not recommend paying for and using the Navman camera database that came with the sat nav as it is very inaccurate with a considerable ammount of cameras missing or incorrect.

Last edited by jm202067 on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Sounds on Navman S Series Reply with quote

I have a Navman S90i and installing all, or what you want of the PocketGPSWorld Database is simple, even down to choosing Icons and Sound Files for each camera type

You'll find a great selection of voices for camera here http://www.amngps4.wanadoo.co.uk/sound.htm

The built in Speed Camera Database is, I believe, the TeleAtlas one and I've been told by Navman the 12 month trial will start on downloadable cameras sometime around end of October

How are you finding your S70?
jm202067
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: S70 speed cameras Reply with quote

I find the S70 easier to use than previous models especially the qwerty keyboard. The only thing i can critisise is the touch screen seems very slow to respond sometimes. Often pressing it has no effect and other times it takes several seconds to respond. I don't know if it is a fault with my sat nav or if they are all like that?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Navman S Series Reply with quote

I found the same, so emailed Navman Support, who replied for more information and then said they would get their main programming team to look into it

Funnily enough since that reply (and without any updates, so not because of Navman) it seems fine

Guess there is a problem there somewhere, even if only in the first few days of use. We will wait and see

The numeric and qwerty keyboard (talking on the s90i) is a great improvement on address entry than other sat navs I used

Keep you posted
jm202067
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Navman s70 problems Reply with quote

I think mine is going back for a refund or replacement as the slow response of the touchscreen is driving me mad. It's worst on the poi screens which are very unresponsive and often take ten seconds plus to respond to screen presses. It is unbelievable how Navman have released a sat nav that has so many obvious faults. Another problem is the speed camera icons are often not displayed on the screen when in 3D mode but are there when i change the screen to 2D. This mainly seems to affect the mobile speed cams which i have selected to just display on the map without a written alert or sound alert. The gatso cams that i have selected for audio and visual alerts work fine? The Navman speed camera database that comes with it is a joke as well with so many cameras missing or incorrect,many cameras have been up years and not on there. Navman have got a cheek giving paying subscribers such poor quality speed cam data! The pocket gps world data is far better and cheaper too.

Last edited by jm202067 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Slow response Reply with quote

Definately think Navman have a serious flaw with the response issue you mention

I can accept issues with routing, menu systems which we don't like, or map visuals that are un-appealing. They are all perhaps individual choices

But I like you have found my Navman s90i to be so slow - AT TIMES - it makes we want to break it. Other times, it works like a breeze, and is a really great unit

It seems fundamental to me that a problem like this should have halted release of the series. I have contacted Navman three times over the past few days regarding this issue, and others

In fairness they have responded in a few hours on every occasion (better than with any other sat nav company support I've experienced in the past, including Navman of old)

However, they have yet to come to conclusion on this vital issue, and have given them until this weekend, or mine will be returned "not fit for purpose"

Which will be sad, because when it works, it's a great unit visually, vocally and with its routing
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that is what happens when you make all the original development team redundant, closeup shop in one country and move the software development to the other side of the world. I heard though the grapevine a number from that original team now work for Tom Tom.

The S series software was developed in Europe, all the othe Navman software in New Zealand. From the brief play i had with it in the shop, it has a lot of very good points- I liked it, BUT it is still (IMHO) Beta software. The only thing this software has in common with anything that has been before is the Navman Brand.

I never buy Version 1.0 software for good reasons, maybe this will be really good by Version 2, I hope so.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Beta Software Reply with quote

Think you are right about it being beta software - spent over 30 mins for a re-route today, then map screen frozen, vocal instructions continued

Great if not unusable

Don't but until Navman release an serious update
jm202067
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman S series faults. Reply with quote

Have taken mine back to Tesco's today for a full refund. Have now bought another Navman N40i that i used to have which i know works very well. They are on special offer at handtec.co.uk for £129.95 which is a fantastic price considering it includes full European mapping and this is the Navpix camera version as well.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

Have this evening completed my first trip on the S90i without it freezing. What a joy to use, if only every trip - or indeed most trips - could be like this

So far have found that

* If you need to re-route, stop and wait for the unit to re-calculate. It often does it in seconds or a minute. Continue driving and it can take over 30 miles to recalculate, as it did today

* Don't confuse the unit by going off course, and you will (probably) be fine

* Don't start searching for pois etc. along the way or your unit will almost definately grind to a hault

* Wait for GPS receiption before starting off, and allow the unit to choose its route also. They simply don't touch it.

Sad thing is it really ia a great navigator (I've had a Garmin Nuvi 300, Navigon 7110, Navigon Pocket Loox n100, TomTom Go, Navman icn630 and Navman n40i) probably one of the best around. When it works. It just doesn't at the moment
jm202067
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Navman S70 slow screen response. Reply with quote

I phoned Navman this morning regarding the slow response of the touch screen. The have told me that if the unit is charged for a full 5 hours when switched off the response speed of the screen will speed up?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Madness Reply with quote

Obviously our mobile phones slow down as the battery slows down. Our laptops. Everything...

Are Navman mad?

Having said all that past two days haven't been too bad - I just pull over and it reroutes relatively quickly. No accepting this but works in the meantime - sending back this weekend if not resolved
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Patch Reply with quote

Talked with Navman Support today and they said a patch would not be available until December 07, when it would auto-download onto the NavDesk software

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: