Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I update my TomTom maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I update my TomTom maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sangahm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Can I update my TomTom maps? Reply with quote

The answer to this is probably no, but is there a way to update small portions of my Tomtom maps without having to purchase the whole US/Canada maps?

I have DeLorme maps (2008) for my laptop and TomTom4 (for my pda) maps. Delorme allows me to add a new street to the map. TomTom doesn't seem to have a similar capability.

We have a few new toll roads around Austin and I'd like to add those to my old maps. It doesn't make sense to pay $150 for new maps when all I want is the new toll roads. Even the TomTom maps won't have these toll roads since they only opened about 3 months ago. So I don't think they'll appear for another year or so.

Is my only option to wait until the roads appear on the new maps and then buy them?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy maps for specific regions of the USA - several states together. But looking at the pricing it's only 2/3rds the price of buying a complete USA/Canada update.

As for very new roads - it can be a year or two before they make it out to the public on electronic maps.

And finally TT Nav V4 is a bit long in the tooth - I don't know what versions of maps it will support - certainly not the newest. However you can probably get new maps with a newer version of TT Navigator as an 'upgrade' - speak to TomTom.

You may want to consider a move to the latest TomTom x20 range with the new s/w - this will allow street level updates to mapping
sangahm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info.

Is the x20 range that you mention a standalone device rather than Navigator software? Is MapShare the feature you are referring to? If so, is that supported with TT6 for the PDA?
sangahm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answering my own questions (for anyone else interested):
The x20 are a set of new TT devices that support Map Share, which is not supported in any other devices including TT6. Worse, it may not be supported between year updates. And the first version of Map Share does not support adding new roads.
fcat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sangahm wrote:
Answering my own questions (for anyone else interested):
The x20 are a set of new TT devices that support Map Share, which is not supported in any other devices including TT6. Worse, it may not be supported between year updates. And the first version of Map Share does not support adding new roads.

I believe V1, V2, V3 and XL Tomtom One machines now have the mapshare facility

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: