Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Custom POI's don't show on NUVI 250
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom POI's don't show on NUVI 250

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theclaw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Custom POI's don't show on NUVI 250 Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out. I have installed 'POI Loader' and downloaded a number of custom POI's onto my NUVI 250. As far as I can see, some (or all?) of these new POI's do not show when doing a search in the 'where to?' list of shops, services etc. For example, I have downloaded the 'Ikea' POI but when doing a search, 'Ikea' does not exist. The 'Congestion Zone' alert seems to work well when simulating a route so I know something is working. I thought the whole point of downloading POI's is that you can look them up! Am I wrong? Thanks, very much appreciated.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things spring to mind.

Firstly - if you have downloaded more than 1 set of POIs, you do know that you have to have all the files in the same directory on your PC? Each time you run POI Loader it completely overwrites the previous Custom POIs, so if you download 1 file and load it onto your Nuvi - when you want to add a second file you need to put both files into the same directory and upload both again via POI Loader.

i.e. I'm concerned your Congestion Zone download removed the first Ikea download.

But, looking at other potential issues...

If you go to Where To? Custom POIs? you should see all files available to you, so I would expect you to see Congestion Zone and Ikea as options. If the Ikea file isn't there, then please see my first suggestion.

Finally, I note that if you were to search all your Custom POIs, none of the Ikea stores have "Ikea" within the name, so a search for Ikea would come up blank, whereas a search for, say, Croydon, would find one entry.

Any of this help, or apply?
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Custom POI's don't show on NUVI 250 Reply with quote

theclaw wrote:
As far as I can see, some (or all?) of these new POI's do not show when doing a search in the 'where to?' list of shops, services etc.

You might have picked this up from Swings answer but JIC:

The Custom POI's are not added to Map POI's so the Ikea POI's that you've loaded would not be added to the generic Shopping category. To search for it try this sequence:
Where to? - My Locations - Custom POIs
theclaw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Custom POI's still don't show Reply with quote

Hi, thanks very much for your replies. Ok, now it's partly solved but not quite!

Thanks, I've now searched for 'Custom Poi's' and found it under 'Where to?' - 'Extras'. 'Congestion Zone', 'Motorway Services' and 'Motorway Junctions' are in there fine and working but nothing else is in there - no, Ikea, Starbucks or all the other POI's which I've loaded. When I view the map, I can't see any sign of new Poi's or icons either. I've tried many times using POI's from different sites but no luck! Help much appreciated!
theclaw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot to add that all the POI'S have been loaded at the same time in one file. Thanks
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing is to create a set of sub-folders under your main POILoader folder (ie. the folder where you store your POIs for downloading).

This creates a set of categories under your Custom POIs which you can then use. It's also a sensible way to manage a lot of POI categories.

GARMIN tend to list POIs by distance from your current position so it is possible that no IKEA is close enough to make it into the list if you have a lot of other POIs loaded.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check the directory where you store these POI files, and just make sure they are .csv files and not .ov2 files (when you go to the PGPSW POI Downloader, it always defaults to TomTom, and not Other - this has caught me out a few times).

If they are .csv then I would rerun POI Loader, and make sure it gives no errors on any of the files.

Then I would check the Garmin again.
theclaw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

'Philpugh' - I will try and create sub folders as you suggest. I don't know how to do it exactly. If someone could explain that would be great.

'Swing' - I have checked and all files downloaded are csv. files with no errors downloading. None of the files seem to show up anywhere on the NUVI apart from the Congestion Zone, Motorway Junctions and Services (which are in Custom POI'S). I have 2 Starbucks right near my house so distance isn't an issue.

BUT, this may have to wait a while...while the NUVI was connected to my Mac, it crashed and now the NUVI will not turn on, apart from the start screen flickering on and off every now and then. I'm going to call GARMIN...
theclaw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just needed a good charge in the car thankfully!
Suggestions still welcome for creating sub folders etc.
Many thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: