Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Haicom 303 MMF With Bluetooth and WAAS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Haicom 303 MMF With Bluetooth and WAAS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nineback
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Haicom 303 MMF With Bluetooth and WAAS Reply with quote

How do I put the 303 MMF into WAAS mode. I am using it with a Ipaq 2210. How do I tell that it is in WAAS mode?

Thanks,

Tom
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using your Pocket PC, the easiest way is to use the GPStweak software you can get from http://sirftweak.networktroubles.org/. It's just an executable - copy it to the \Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder on your iPAQ.

Because this software has bugs with switching into NMEA mode, you're better off using other software to switch into SiRF mode so that you can use GPStweak, then the same program you used to switch into SiRF mode to switch back to NMEA mode (assuming you're normally working in NMEA mode). Winfast Navigator (Leadtek's configuration program for their GPSes, which are SiRF based) comes recommended for that - the latest 1.1 version can be got from ftp://ftp.winfast.com.tw/gps/Tools/WinCEMonitor.zip. Once unzipped, that installs from your PC via ActiveSync in the normal way.

You imply you have the HI-401 Bluetooth slipper. It might be that you can't use the slipper to switch into SiRF mode - it may be safer to insert the GPS directly into the CompactFlash slot of your iPAQ to change the parameters. If you have Winfast Navigator running (the version I've pointed you to installs itself as Navigator in Programs), you should see the COM port number of the GPS in CompactFlash mode pop up on screen when you insert it.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind, seeing as you seem to have the HI-401 Bluetooth slipper. Are there two barcodes on your GPS, one on the label on the back of the CompactFlash part, and another, probably on a separate label and probably on the antenna section? How recently did you buy the GPS, and where from? Was it a bundle with the Bluetooth slipper?

We're still trying to understand the compatibility of the HI-401 Bluetooth slipper. It seems that it only works on more recent examples of HI-303 series GPSes, which are distinguished by the second barcode label I described above. It'd help if you could answer my questions above, also when you're in GPStweak, tap the "Poll version" option and post that information too (that's the version of the SiRF firmware on your GPS - it will look something like 231.000.000ES).

David
nineback
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of questions, if you don't mind, seeing as you seem to have the HI-401 Bluetooth slipper. Are there two barcodes on your GPS, one on the label on the back of the CompactFlash part, and another, probably on a separate label and probably on the antenna section? How recently did you buy the GPS, and where from? Was it a bundle with the Bluetooth slipper

Yes I have the 2 barcodes. I just bought the bundle from BuyGPSNow.

The firmware version is 231.000.000ES.

Is there any advantage to setting the baud rate greater than 4800?

I was able to set the WAAS on but have yet been able to verify that it is working. Is there a way to verify WAAS reception?

Thanks,

Tom
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two barcodes should mean in 95% of cases that the card will work with the Haicom BT Slipper, but this isn't 100%. There's a small 5% chance that people may have the two barcodes and the card still doesn't work.

The data the comes down from the satellites is small amounts of data, so by increasing the baud rate in normal terms means you will speed the data up, but rather than having a continuous flow of data, you will see a quick burst of data, then a gap, then another burst. This can be good for GPS sleeves because they can have processor interference so putting them into a wait state every now and again gives it time to breath.

Upping the baud rate in normal terms really doesn't give you much enhancement. Most applications actually prefer to receive data around 4800 or 9600 so you'll find mostoooo GPS's when used with applications will run better when using NMEA 4800.

You can identify WAAS, but a lot of applications won't detect any WAAS enabled sats, I think OziExplorer does, and there are a few utils out there that will, but things like WinFast Navigator and TomTom Navigator won't.
nineback
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Mine does work with the sleeve. One thing I have noticed and it might be true of all setups is that the GPS will only acquire a fix when a bluetooth connection is establihed or if in the CF sleeve when the comport is opened. Im other words if I put the GPS in the sleeve and turn it on the bluetooth indicator flashes waiting for a connection but the GPS never acquires the signal unitl I actually run software and make the bluetooth connection. Is this normal?

I also noticed that once I make the software connection and then terminate it that I lose the bluetooth connection and have to use the bluetooth manager to establish a connection again and then wait for the GPS to acquire a signal before I can use the software again. I use the GPS for with a program call Intelligolf and I soon as I leave the GPS screen on intelligolf and go back to the normal screen where you record your acore the GPS connection is dropped. When I go to the next hole and wnat to measure distance I have to restart the bluetooth connection and wait for the GPS to acquire the satellite. Annoying.

I have noticed the same when using other sofware like WinCEMonitor. As soon as close the connection the bluetooth connection terminates and the GPS loses the satellite acauisitions.

It also appears as that if I make a bluettoth connection and them do not run some software shortly threre after that the bluetooh connection is closed.

Tom
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you do need a valid BT connection for it to start receiving sats, it's a good power save mode.

Closing the application will close the BT connection and in-turn turn the power to the CF card off. This is usual.
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only one barcode in my 303MMF and it works flawlessy with the 401BT-slipper. Is there any good programs for PC to get the firmware information? 8O
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly a couple of conclusions on HI-401 Bluetooth slipper compatibility. It seems as if firmware version has nothing to do with it - most HI-303MMF owners that have reported their firmware version have 231.000.000ES (mine certainly has that version).

So far as the second barcode goes, it seems that it's a guide to compatibility with the slipper but no more, particularly in the light of Dave's further comments about it not guaranteeing operation. When did you buy your HI-303MMF, Hartsa? Were you aware that it could work with non-double barcode HI-303 series GPSes, Dave?

I'm still interested in the HI-401, but am not at all confident it'll work with the HI-303MMF I purchased back in the summer.

So far as identifying the use of WAAS or similar, it's obvious if you look at the raw NMEA stream. The GGA sentence has a flag that says what type of fix it is.

$GPGGA,120557.916,5058.7456,N,00647.0515,E,2,06,1.7,108.5,M,47.6,M,1.5,0000*7A is a differential fix example - note the 2 after the E or W. The 1.5 at the end is the age of the differential corrections - 1.5 seconds. The time field will be blank and the bold figure will be 1 if a non-differential fix has been obtained.

Of course, if we all had equipment that could legitimately put a 3 in that field, we wouldn't need any of this DGPS stuff (3 means the fix is Precise Positioning Service - the encrypted dual-band version of GPS restricted to the military and other authorised users with the appropriate keys loaded into a keyable receiver).

In SiRF mode, there's various ways to tell whether SBAS is being used - it's obvious enough on-screen using a recent version of SiRFdemo, though I'd have to trawl through the documentation to be able to tell you exactly what fields in what messages give the information.

David
Hartsa
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my package from Peripheral Corner and it was shipped to me just before Christmas. I have used the 303MMF/401BT-combination with Leadtek Navigator and Route 66 2004 pro-version in my IBM Thinkpad X31 laptop (Win XP Pro).
In few next weeks I try use it in the hp iPAQ 3970 with PPC2003.
windsor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Just to bring this back to the top, I now have a bluetooth slipper, and progs like Tomtom Nav and Fugawi UK work fine. However GPStweak, and Winfast Navigator can only seem to connect in NEMA Mode, and freeze if I try to change to SIRF Mode. They both worked fine before I had the bluetooth card, but now don't work either in Bluetooth mode or with the 303mmf in the compact flash slot. Haicoms GPSinfo programme will not work in Bluetooth Mode, but will still work fine if I put the 303mmf in the slot--- any good ideas?

Dell Axim X5
Haicom 303MMF
Bluetooth Slipper for above
Sitecom CF Bluetooth Card

Compact Flash Slot was Com 5 before Bluetooth Card, now Com 7
Bluetooth Card is now Com 6, and Com 2
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to try and switch to SiRF mode, try it in native mode, e.g. when in CF slot not in slipper and see if this works.
windsor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave,

As i said in my first post,(although obviously not very clearly :D) ,I used to be able to change into SIRF mode with the setup in 'native' mode, but once I had loaded the bluetooth software, which changed all the port numbers. it doesn work in either mode.

I can understand that maybe the bluetooth port is only unidirectional, so I can't send commands to the 303MMF in bluetooth mode, but it doesn't even work now in 'native mode' (using the port settings i.e. com 7, with which Tomtom Nav. does work).

I can now get Haicom's own GPSinfo prog. to work - you have to make the Bluetooth connection before you start the programme, but this doesn't help for GPStweak etc.

Geoff
windsor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update,

A few soft resets have solved the 'native' problem, so I can now get all the progs to work with the303MMF in the CF slot.

Does anybody have any ideas about making GPSTweak & Winfast Navigator work with the kit in Bluetooth mode?

Geoff

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: