Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is TomTom Go 720 really as bad as people say?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is TomTom Go 720 really as bad as people say?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nigel-DV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Is TomTom Go 720 really as bad as people say? Reply with quote

I have an old TomTom Go 500, and was thinking of upgrading it to the latest 720 as 720 has nicer/larger screen, I also need Europe maps now. So I was thinking of getting 720.

However, after reading around these forums it would appear that the 720 is absolutely riddled with software bugs and all sorts of other faults.

Is the 720 really this bad? should I stick with my Go 500 for 6 months until TomTom fix all the problems/issues with the 720?

Any advice from folk who have upgraded from Go 500 to Go 720 will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I've had my Go 500 for nearly 2 years now. It's fine, just to fat to fit in my pocket and I'd like a bigger screen.

Oh, finally, I did buy a Snooper, but the map was crap so I sent it back for a refund.

Cheers guys.
Nigel-DV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, one of the faults with Go 720 that I read about was issues with using speed camera data base downloaded from here?

What is this issue and is it fixed?

What is easiest method to use speed camera database?

I used to use the OV2 Consolidated by camera type. Would this still be the best option for newer 720?

Cheers all.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is NOT a bad machine, I love mine.

The one MAJOR problem people have had on rather too many examples has been a fault with hands free calls (buzzing noises usually at the far end).
If you don't have that problem (check it as soon as you get it), the unit works fine, with a few little niggles, almost all of which are down to the link to TomTom's new Mapshare service and how that has been implemented which is nothing to do with the unit itself. Others are daft things like mp3s can be played off the SD card or the flash memory, but "audiobooks" are ignored if they are on the card and the volume level of the FM to the car radio is rather quiet.

None of them affect the main operation.

Finally, I haven't had ANY problems using the speed cam database from here (and I don't remember seeing any posts about it either to be honest - you sure it wasn't TT's OWN database?).
I usually use the full speed-zoned set (and I suggest you use the same - its the best) but for test purposes I have installed the other versions at least once. All work faultlessly.

Although this sounds glowing, I'm NOT an apologist for TomTom themselves. I'd be the first to say how awful they are at customer relations.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of returning my third 720 and as Andy says, the hands free is my problem. Bit different this time, it suddenly, mid call, goes batty, bah, bah, bah, bah noise (I call it nuclear attack warning or submarine dive), incredibly loud (because I have the volume always on maximum, probably) and it's at 4 per second and it locks the device so I can't switch off to stop it.

But I first thought it was a great machine and STILL think so. I'm arguing with the local Halfords manager over their "policy", but I do not want a refund, just a new replacement hoping it'll be perfect.

I've never agreed with people who say the FM volume is low - all 3 of mine were fine (mind you, I have a Renault steering wheel remote control so I can boost the volume or turn it down any time I like).

Like Andy too, I use the speed zoned cameras from here, with spoken warnings. They have given no trouble at all. There seems to be some problem with POIs due to Mapshare, but it's not bothering me as I don't use TomTom POIs.

The only downside you'll find is that the speaker is not as good as the 500.

By all means wait a few months for the minor bugs to be ironed out if you can keep your fingers from itching that long - might even start getting price reductions too. In your place, I couldn't wait beyond this Monday!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Russbeck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded to the 720 from my 700 a few weeks ago. I also paid the extra £30 subscription for traffic & speed camera updates.

PROS.
Works brilliantly with my K800i in every respect accept the hands free which has been previously mentioned. When talking on the hands free, I am told I can't be heard because of a loud background buzzing.

The traffic updates appear to be excellent.

The GPS fix which is a weekly small download appears to work. This allows the 520/720 to log on to sats quicker on a cold boot.

The window mount is far simpler, easier and quicker to use.

The 720 slides in the trouser pocket like a wallet.

The menu system/icons are much improved and on my 720 work without problems. Including the voice input for Navigate To.

CONS.
New out of the box, my 720 only had the UK & IR with major EU roads. I had to mess about installing the full Western Europe map 1.7GB after clearing space on the internal drive.

Customer services on email are not much better than useless when they eventually reply.

Known issues with TomTom Two PC software. Stick with TomTom one software if possible.

My Go 700 was a legitimate and registered unit with TT. I recently purchased an updated UK map from them and had installed it on the 700. When I connected the new 720 to the PC The TT2 software auto-update re downloaded the map I had purchased for the 700 and installed it on the 720. What a mess. Different maps. The 700 series maps have an activation code for registration. The new 520/720 units have some form of algorithm on the maps which TT say prevents maps from being used on more than 1 unit. The algorithm is linked to the serial number of the device. (so I'm told by TT)

There is no facility yet to fix a separate microphone on and the K800i is an unsupported phone so if you have phone issues....tough!

CONCLUSION..... Brilliant, I wouldn't swap it for anything but if you are upgrading, uninstall all your old files to save any map problems like me.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russbeck wrote:

New out of the box, my 720 only had the UK & IR with major EU roads. I had to mess about installing the full Western Europe map 1.7GB after clearing space on the internal drive.

Never heard of that one!
Where on Earth did you get the Western Europe one from then?
Quote:

When I connected the new 720 to the PC The TT2 software auto-update re downloaded the map I had purchased for the 700 and installed it on the 720. What a mess.

It should only have re-downloaded the old UK map if you left the box ticked. And even if you let it download it wouldn't have installed it unless you told it to.

(Edited just to add missing quote box)

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Gibb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 720 - and as a Satnav it is great. Almost instantaneoue satellite lock and great directions.

However, I have a BIG problem with the FM transmitter as it is FAR too quiet (I'm about to start a thread on this) and the hands free works great about 40% of the time and not all about 60% of the time.

Mind you, I haven't taken it back and exchanged it yet - maybe I should?

In conclusion - it is the best satnav I have owned yet. But I have written to TomTom about the two issues I have and they haven't bothere too respond Sad
Nigel-DV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Great advice.

I won't be using hands-free or MP3 etc so that won't bother me.

For speed-camera database do I still chose OV2 and then the full speed-zone set?

When installing speed camera database, is it like my 500 where I just drop the files in to UK map directory?

Can anyone point me to an online tutorial on how this is done?

Finally, Tomtom site says the 720 comes with speed-camera database pre-installed, is this different to the OV2 speed-zone one on here?

Thanks guys.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can follow the guide written for any of the TomTom products, but as your new device will have Text To Speech the most applicable guide is the one for the 910 see Here - if you don't want the hastle of setting up the TTS warnings just use the Ogg file method instead as that works just as well on the unit.

As for the pre-installed database, yes it is very different to the one from this site, it is a poor attempt at warning of speed cameras, you cannot configure it as well as the PGPSW offering and neither is it updated as frequently, let alone the actual data being to a lessor standard - Mike
Nigel-DV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Do I need to delete the Tomtom speed camera database before installing the one from here?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to delete them from the device but to avoid double warnings or warnings where there are no cameras I would take them off the devce, Have a read of #13 on the FAQ Page, while you are there also read up on backing up the device - this is a vital step covered by #1 on the same page - Mike
Gibb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting Mike - I have found the TomTom speed camera warnings spot on so far - but everyone I have spoken to recommends yours. So, I am looking to set aside a few hours to get it all set up at some point. Thanks for the links. Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibb wrote:
Thats interesting Mike - I have found the TomTom speed camera warnings spot on so far - but everyone I have spoken to recommends yours. So, I am looking to set aside a few hours to get it all set up at some point. Thanks for the links. Very Happy

I shall hopefully be getting my new 720 tomorrow morning.

It'll take me no time to backup - using Windows Explorer I'll Select All, Copy, then Paste into a new directory on my PC, job done in however fast my PC is to copy 1.75Gb from GO to PC.

Because I have the speed cameras already downloaded, it'll then take me another 10 minutes to set them up, complete with spoken warnings. The longest part of this is the "Warn when near" which is a total pain 24 times - thank goodness it's only done once and that when you next get a fresh download, you don't need to repeat the setup. There is one funny quirk here with the 720 - it asks you "Is this the sound you want" and when you're using the ogg file method, it doesn't give you a sound at this stage, BUT you still have to answer "YES" (the logical answer of NO because you don't hear anything is the WRONG answer and gets you a small disaster).

So, I'll give my new GO720 10 minutes charge to wake it up, then I'll have it backed up and fully set up with cameras and spoken warnings inside half an hour. Then I'll leave it at home to get a full charge. Job done.

I say this not to put you down, but to let you know it's easy enough and quick enough once you know how. Even first time round shouldn't take hours. Just read the instructions - maybe even print them out to have at your side and take it steadily. It must be two years since I did it for the first time and got it right, and ever since then, I've done it standing on my head. It's like I've got a Macro written on my eyeballs. (If only I could touch type, I'd be able to do it blindfolded - not cos' I'm a Northerner smarty pants, but cos' it's so easy once you know how).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
it'll then take me another 10 minutes to set them up, complete with spoken warnings. The longest part of this is the "Warn when near" which is a total pain 24 times
After three devices you are not short of practice, but the times you quote are a little off the mark - 5 mins max if using ogg files for a configured system, ten mins if you use the TTS system and type the warnings using the screen Joker

MUST TRY HARDER (from another Northerner) - Mike
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Older Model Shortfalls Fixed? Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting a 720 to replace my 910 but was wondering if a couple of features have been added/fixed?

1. If you save your position off listed roads e.g. in a shopping centre car park, will it then allow you to navigate to that location or say "No route possible".

2. Does the 720 auto power up and down by itself when it gets power from the cigarette lighter adapter?

3. I also understand you still have to buy new maps every year to keep the mapshare feature working. Is that true?

Many thanks

HummerUK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: