Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - User experience X-980t?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

User experience X-980t?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: User experience X-980t? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm at the point of buying a X-980T.
I've read many good reports but also some (very) bad reports on the X-980T which makes me worry a bit.
What are your experiences?

Eddy
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wishing to confuse the issue but faced with such a choice I actually went and bought an X-970T rather than a 980 because it has a completely different type of TMC antenna which other people seem to have found works better than the 'string' supplied with the 980

Also if you are thinking of buying one then wait - the prices will drop significantly at the end of this month - see the thread on the v7 software upgrade

So far so good with the 970 - I quite like it, the menus are a bit complex but seems they will be simplified with the v7 software upgrade

There is also an interactive questionnaire on the Viamichelin website which will suggest which unit is most suited to your specific needs
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

Doesn't the 970 lacks TTS?
What about speed of (re)calculation of routes and the location of satellites?

Eddy
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does lack TTS

Recalculation of routes and satellite fixes have been OK so far

There is a good comparison tool on the website
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:

There is a good comparison tool on the website

Where's that? I didn't see it yet?

Last question. I see in some review that the showing of the map is slow (doesn't follow the current position, doesn't follow the (spoken) instructions) and the reaction of the device when selecting menu items is slow. Is that the case?
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gps.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/GPS/htm/nav/compare-our-products.htm

I can't say that I have noticed any problems with the speed of mapping. I have noticed on a few occasions it may be 100 yds or so behind where you are (but only occasionally) but the voice instructions are pretty clear and it has the latest SIRF iii chipset so GPS positioning shouldn't be a problem

The reaction when selecting menu items seems to be pretty quick, its finding your way around the menus that's the fun bit but supposedly v7 has improved this

I had a Garmin and a Mio previously and prefer this. It is definitely NOT perfect but all things judged I really like it
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Last question. I see in some review that the showing of the map is slow (doesn't follow the current position, doesn't follow the (spoken) instructions) and the reaction of the device when selecting menu items is slow. Is that the case?

This was certainly the case with my 970T. I even turned off all POI to remove as much load on the display as possible, but it didn't help. It's only an issue if you have a choice of turns close to each other.

It was one of the reasons I got rid of it and moved to Garmin. Its one of the things I was hoping V7 would sort, but as I bought my unit in June I would of had to pay for the upgrade and didn't want to take the chance of it not being resolved.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a x980t and love it. It's been much better than the 2 Navman's and the fact that software bugs have been fixed and new software developed is good for me. Navman was full of bugs that customer services promised would be fixed but none of the bugs were ever fixed (they just released new models).
Yes the menus are impossible to navigate, but I would wait until you see some of the v7 demos as that looks to be a complete redesign of the UI.

The pacman style view of the upcoming turns can be really useful and the guide data is fantastic.

As for the aerial, it's being looked at if the newer style aerials / mounts can be used on the x980t

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: