Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 610T or Nuvi 660
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 610T or Nuvi 660

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 610T or Nuvi 660 Reply with quote

Hi,

As some of you may have read, I'm about to return my 610T which was supplied with the wrong GTM (Got the French one).

This has the benefit that I paid £249 for it but can actually get it for £201. I have also noticed that I can get the Nuvi 660 with GTM 21 for £249

Am I better saving the £48 or is the 660 worth the extra. As far as I can see, the only difference is the 660 speaks the street names.

Does it do anything else the 610T can't?

Does the additional speech include motorway junctions names/numbers?

Thanks for any feedback.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 660 also comes with full European mapping built into the unit, whereas the 610T only comes with UK & Ireland mapping.

However, an update to the mapping is due out soon, which will cost about £40-odd, and would upgrade the 610 to the latest mapping, and give you full European coverage (although you would need an SD card to store the extra mapping onto). You'll still need to spend the same £40 to upgrade the 660 to the same mapping (once it's released in the next few months), so you may find the 610T is a better overall deal.

Unless you want the unit to speak roadnames...

I should point out that you may find the new mapping will be a free upgrade given you are purchasing the unit in the changeover time between the old and new mapping - you may even find the new unit already comes with the new maps, although I've not yet heard of any units shipping with the new maps.
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply swing.

I took the 610T back to Currys and ordered another on the web from PC World. I then drove the 45mile round trip to collect it.

While in the car park I turned it on and notice that the GTM was reporting a lifetime subscription for France. Took it straight back and got my money refunded.

Now although I really liked the Garmin the whole GTM21 thing has left a bad taste, so I have now ordered a Magellan Maestro 4050.
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think that Garmin would recall these units, rather than relying on consumers to try and get it rectified by sending it in to Garmin (at their expense). C'mon Garmin Lift your game. Your low level of Customer Services is ruining what is otherwise a very good product set!
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky I had the fore thought to print off the email I received from Garmin.

Both Currys and PC World were less than willing to have the unit returned.

The email couldn't of been any clearer. It stated the the unit was intended for the French market and would not work in the UK.

Even after reading it I had to be forceful with PC World.

I hope I have a good experience with the Magellan as I really liked the Garmin, but can only stand to be messed around a couple of times hence the change.
captureboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not have to get forceful with a store that sold a unit intended for the french market as under the sales of goods act the unit could be deemed as not fit for purpose.

Any store that refuses to give either a refund or exchange it for a unit that is intended for the uk market should be reported to your local trading standards department.
GPS SW Version 3.00
Bluetooth SW Version 3.40
GTM SW Version 4.80
Map Info CN Europe NT 2010.30

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: