Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin Support and Feedback
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin Support and Feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vizzair wrote:
)

If you are having problems with the time changing when you sync, there is a thread in the forum showing how to fix this
updateing PGPSW camera database
On the last page towards the end, it shows how the time by default is set to Pacific Standard time , so will be 8 hours out. There is also a fix for the brave to reset the time to GMT or any other timezone you want.

Thanks for that 'steer'! What a wicked little programme. Took five minutes of my time and worked a treat. My time is now GMT & correct (what happens when clocks change?) Also the Auto Day/Night function is fixed. One happy bunny Laughing
vizzair
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy shame it doesn't know where in the world you are, or it could calculate sunrise - sunset -- ow wait .. its a GPS Laughing

The auto day night is useless Im afraid, it doesn't take account of the date and change the time it changes over, so you have to go and change them every week anyway.

Shame, as the device is based on windows CE, it would have been very easy to add a date to the unit, and then use the same algorithms used in windows to calc summertime and sun rise sun set and make the unit "truly" automagic.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume from that, Vizzair, that I have to manually change the time when the clocks change....Spring Forward & Fall Back.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth (I haven't read them yet), I've just checked the help section on the VM website and found a number of new entries relating to the current situation - support, map updates, etc. So maybe VM are at last telling us what's happening!! Clap
irishetcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read that. I suppose that gives a bit more clarification on what's happening but is buried and not visible to the casual browser.

One question. I note that the maps for sale (New: 2007/2008 Edition Maps and software for devices X-960, X-970T, X-980T) are named 2007/2008.

Under information on my X 980T New Edition with 7.0.3 that the cartography for each country is named with just 2007. Does this mean that I don't have 2007/2008 maps? or does 2007 mean the same thing. The website could state the release date so visitors could actually get some idea. Some clarification would be helpful.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irishetcher wrote:

One question. I note that the maps for sale (New: 2007/2008 Edition Maps and software for devices X-960, X-970T, X-980T) are named 2007/2008.

Under information on my X 980T New Edition with 7.0.3 that the cartography for each country is named with just 2007. Does this mean that I don't have 2007/2008 maps? or does 2007 mean the same thing. The website could state the release date so visitors could actually get some idea. Some clarification would be helpful.

Mmmm! I have just read all the info on that site about the software/mapping for sale. As I read it, it appears to be the update from v6 to v7. It certainly is not clear and I would really like to have some clarification from VM Sales before buying.
I base this on the opening para
Quote:
With the Navigation software version 7 for GPS ViaMichelin Navigation X-960, X-970T, X-980T you can take full advantage of all the features of your ViaMichelin portable GPS device.
which I read to mean that you are buying version 7.

Furthermore, in the four tabs (features) about the software/maps it lists as 'new' everything that is in v7 such as GPRS, Safety functions, MP3 etc etc

Could be wrong Rolling Eyes
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irishetcher wrote:

The 2007 / 2008 maps reference would be to the latest ones from TeleAtlas released in October 2007. The next map release from TeleAtlas wouldn't be due until March / April 2008. So if you have the Oct release of maps you have the latest that are available.

I don't think they are tying to mislead anyone on this, but that's just the ways the maps are released. Oct 07 to cover upto March 08.

Unfortunately after March you will just have to hope the roads don't change much. I still find it hard to believe VM has pulled the plug, V7 was released late last year and they didn't really seem to give it a real chance to sell. I have been looking at alternative units and so far I'm finding it really hard to find a replacement which would be as good as what the x980t is.
irishetcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it was just wishful thinking that the maps on my X 980T were 2007 and that there were end of 2007/2008 maps I could get. This is in desperation mind.

The Tele Atlas mapping for Ireland could desperately do with an update. I just drove an alternative route from Dublin to Kilkenny today due to a crash on the main route I would usually use and there were some interesting diversions along the way. On some new roads (Gorey by-pass) which is on the GPS map the ViaMichelin froze in one spot. Interestingly if I backed out of the route and just used Track my Position the, GPS was able to track me on that new piece of road. As I said earlier, whole new road sections are coming on stream here in Ireland over the next two to fours years.

I am hoping that my X 980T will be much more accurate in France.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I'm pretty sure the maps that are on the New Edition series are the latest. The Technical Information section for the 960/970/980/series maps/software update on the VM website says:
Quote:
compatibility restrictions:
The ViaMichelin Navigation software version 7 is compatible with ViaMichelin portable Navigation GPS X-960, X-970T and X-980T devices only.
For ViaMichelin GPS Navigation X-960 New Edition, X-970 New Edition, X-970T New Edition and X-980T New Edition portables, you already have the last version of the maps available.

So the update is for people who have 'Old Edition' models, and presumably gives them New Edition facilities and maps.

What VM don't say is whether there will be future map updates available for our units. I would assume that if they are continuing to develop, as they say,
Quote:
provision of digital tourist and traffic information and content for a range of platform including mobile phones and GPS systems.

then it would be rather perverse if VM's own units were not included in this 'range ... of GPS systems'. So I live in hope, though this probably depends on who does the necessary customising of the maps, TeleAtlas,VM or 3rd Party.

One thing I'm not sure about is the reference to 2008 Michelin Guides in the help Q&As; these are loaded via the Content Manager POIs section - in there at the moment, it says the Guide information is 2007. so is an update pending, I wonder.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:

What VM don't say is whether there will be future map updates available for our units. I would assume that if they are continuing to develop, as they say,

I would have thought the refund of the Advantage program for map updates would be a sign that no map updates will be coming? Why would they refund the money if they are going to update the maps as I wouldn't pay to update maps for a 'dead' device.

I could be wrong but I suspect that they have done a deal with Navigon for certain aspects of the software which will be exclusive to the Navigon GPS units in France. I think they wish to sell the 'added features' such as the guide information rather than produce their own GPS hardware.

From the way they have communicated the information about what is happening and how long it's taken for any official information to appear on the site I don't have much faith in them as a company.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed the cameras and some of the guides have been updated on VM website.

Same problem as last month, you have to update ALL and then add ALL, you can't add each one individually, as by updating the next item cancels any adds that you actioned before.

The guides have me confused, as far as I could tell only hotels for Austria and Germany have been added. I ended up with an entry for each country which said Michelin Guide hotels, no date or file size; an entry for hotels 2007 and one for 2008. The first one says Update at the end of the line but it won't; the second one I removed as what's the point of leaving both 2007 and 2008! They still all show on content manager even after a reconnection. Confused

Hope that's clear as mud !!

Anyone else any the wiser?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
Just noticed the cameras and some of the guides have been updated on VM website.

Same problem as last month, you have to update ALL and then add ALL, you can't add each one individually, as by updating the next item cancels any adds that you actioned before.

The guides have me confused, as far as I could tell only hotels for Austria and Germany have been added. I ended up with an entry for each country which said Michelin Guide hotels, no date or file size; an entry for hotels 2007 and one for 2008. The first one says Update at the end of the line but it won't; the second one I removed as what's the point of leaving both 2007 and 2008! They still all show on content manager even after a reconnection. Confused

Hope that's clear as mud !!

Anyone else any the wiser?

Hi
I have just checked and the latest speed cameras show as February.
If we look at speed cameras alone. When you first log on to the Content Manager, the speed cams against each country shows 'January' in the 3rd column. In Column 5 it will say 'Update'. Click on that and in column 6 it will change to 'Add'/ Now click on that and it will change to 'Remove'
Do that for each country's speed camera data.
Now go to the bottom of the list and click on the 'Synchronise' button, Bottom Rightclick on that and wait until the progress bar has fiinished and only then close Content Manager. You should now have the latest speed cameras on your VM.
OK Graham
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

The installation went fine, I was just pointing out that you have to update them all THEN add them all. This only started last month as I remember.

March update means February cameras. That's the way they do it Confused Don't know why.

I was interested to see if everybody was having the same symptoms with the cameras and the guides.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Embarassed Sorry, I read yours as you were having difficulties. Yes, I experience the same 'problems'. But, then everyone does things a different way....bit confusing sometimes, but I think we have got to the bottom of it now. Wink
The 'Synchronise' button has confused some people in the past as it is tucked down the bottom.

Graham
welshwanderer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: viamichelin x950T Reply with quote

Hi all, was in town yesterday and got display model, came without car mount (not bothered) and no car power adapter, again, not bothered as sussed it out. Cost £80 as a managers special with 2Gb SD card with europe mapping.

Only problem is...I have a laptop running vista home premium and cannot register or download updates...

Has any1 got any ideas?..At the moment, plan is to take it to wales on friday, borrow my dads pc (xp) and update it there..if not, take it back to the store when i get back next week.

Any advice greatly appreciated...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: