Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom buit in POIs better than Garmin?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom buit in POIs better than Garmin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: TomTom buit in POIs better than Garmin? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've currently a Garmin C550 and the built in POIs are hard to visualize whilst driving (in fact I'm unable to show them). I wonder if devices like a TomTom 720T does show (better) built in POIs whilst driving.

Eddy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean do they show up on screen, then Yes - the POIs show up as a small icon on the road on the navigation display, and if you have set them up to "warn when near" they will flash the same icon much larger in the top corner of the display and trigger an optional warning sound or voice alert too.

I've no experience of them, but I'd be surprised if the Garmin doesn't do something similar though...
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't such a functionality on the C550. Can one chooses which POIs to show or is it all or nothing?

Andy_P2002 wrote:
If you mean do they show up on screen, then Yes - the POIs show up as a small icon on the road on the navigation display, and if you have set them up to "warn when near" they will flash the same icon much larger in the top corner of the display and trigger an optional warning sound or voice alert too.

I've no experience of them, but I'd be surprised if the Garmin doesn't do something similar though...
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
Can one chooses which POIs to show or is it all or nothing?

You can choose to display or not display each of the available categories, so you could for example display Petrol Stations whilst not displaying Museums.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
There isn't such a functionality on the C550. Can one chooses which POIs to show or is it all or nothing?

Again, I'm only going by what I've read, but page 35 of the C550 manual (see HERE) says there *is* a "proximity alert" function that is customisable, and also says how to view your custom POIs (although that is vague- doesn't say if that means "view on map" or just view a list in order to select for proximity warnings).
Looks like you set it up in the POI Loader, there is a Help file included with the download I just did (from HERE)

A quick glance through that shows that there are .bmp icon files associated with each POI file so they MUST get shown on screen.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all true for custom POIs, but my question concerns the standard built in POIs for both the Garmin and TomTom

Andy_P2002 wrote:
EddyDC wrote:

Again, I'm only going by what I've read, but page 35 of the C550 manual (see HERE) says there *is* a "proximity alert" function that is customisable, and also says how to view your custom POIs (although that is vague- doesn't say if that means "view on map" or just view a list in order to select for proximity warnings).
Looks like you set it up in the POI Loader, there is a Help file included with the download I just did (from HERE)

A quick glance through that shows that there are .bmp icon files associated with each POI file so they MUST get shown on screen.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, apologies...
So you're saying the built-in POIs on the Garmin don't show on the map or navigation display but the custom ones do? Very odd decision...

On the TomTom, the built-in and the custom POIs work very similarly, you can enable/disable them individually on the display and set warning distances / alerts for all or any of them.

A couple of limitations I can think of:
You can't change the icon for built-in ones, and you can't have your own voice alerts for them, only ones using the Text to Speech if you have it.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find a way to show them properly, nor a way to choose which one I want to seen whilst driving.

Thanks for the clarification on the TomTom side

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Ahh, apologies...
So you're saying the built-in POIs on the Garmin don't show on the map or navigation display but the custom ones do? Very odd decision...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: