Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New cameras onBlackheath Hill, SE10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New cameras onBlackheath Hill, SE10
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes BGF I did mean the "Ring of Steel" as you call it, afraid I did not read the Map closely, I presume you are saying that the Emissions zone is smaller than the Congestion Zone, then that explains. It just took me by surprise for having another imposition after reading over the last couple of days about possible laws for Driving without due care and attention for smoking in the car and the latest about taking DNA for Speeding offences, When is it going to end
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The congestion charge zone is very small when compared to the LEZ area, I just hope this time they (the authorities) put a system in place that will also trap/ charge/ fine the foreign HGV owners in the same way they can hammer the UK operators, at £100+ just to drive a truck/ delivery van inside the M25 could prove costly unless you have a new vehicle and are therefore exempt - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
If by "existing cameras" you mean the "Ring of Steel" or Congestion Charge Zone cameras, then, if you look at the map, you'll see that this covers a much wider area, pretty much anywhere within the M25!! I'm sure it will be a ANPR system, being able to tell, from the DVLA, the vehicle classification.

Indeed so, there is a map here that shows the LEZ, your vehicle's rated emissions are recorded by DVLA so all they need to do is cross reference your VRN with the DVLA database using ANPR.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seen any definitive info about which function each of these new cameras are policing?
There's the ANPRS anti-terrorist "ring of steel" (that used to be just in central London),
there's ANPRS for known criminal's' vehicles,
there's ANPRS for road tax evasion etc,
there's ANPRS for the London Congestion Charge Zone,
and now there seems to be ANPRS for the Low Emission Zone.

Now that the police have been granted automatic access to all the Local Authority traffic cameras, I can't really believe that these ANPRS cams are not all linked together, so ALL the cameras record everybody.

Wouldn't that make a POI for the LEZ rather infeasible, or at least it shouldn't be created from reports of camera positions?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Wouldn't that make a POI for the LEZ rather infeasible, or at least it shouldn't be created from reports of camera positions?

Not really, the POI would at least define the outer perimeter of the LEZ for those who wanted to avoid entering it?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, what I meant was: you shouldn't be accepting reports of ANPRS cameras to define your LEZ POI.
Most of these gantries that are going up that are not on the edges of that zone.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, sorry I misunderstood. No of course we would want to make sure we were defining the LEZ and not just every ANPR site which we would not wish to locate.

ANPR used for targeting uninsured/untaxed motorists is to be applauded. Although I personally have no issue with the big brother aspects of ANPR and its use in tracking criminals or use for terrorist activity I understand the concerns.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No of course we would want to make sure we were defining the LEZ and not just every ANPR site which we would not wish to locate.

Perhaps wise, possibly it could be construed as aiding a criminal and feel shore that legislation would soon introduced to stop it, Incidently are ANPR sites published, cant say that I have looked for one or noticed one.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of a published collection of locations but then I haven't been looking. We have previously stated that we will not collate an ANPR POI as we fully support their purposes and so anyone publishing a link to another collection on this site will have the link edited out.

When we made our position statement we were referring to the Mobile ANPR vans that are set up for sting operations as fixed sites were very rare at that time. However it applies equally to fixed sites that are used for law enforcement purposes.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not made available as a POI file I think it would still be handy to have the information on file in order to filter real submissions from someone innocently submitting a location they think is a speed camera when in fact it were a LEZ unit??
The ANPR units do a great job, I only wish there were more of them to be honest! - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: