Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom safety cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom safety cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: tomtom safety cameras Reply with quote

is the data used by tomtom suplied by pocketgps?? tryed searching came up with nothing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd ever used their database you'd hopefully see that we do not supply data to TomTom. It's much less comprehensive than ours, less frequently updated and more expensive too!
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
If you'd ever used their database you'd hopefully see that we do not supply data to TomTom. It's much less comprehensive than ours, less frequently updated and more expensive too!

i had a voucher as a gift the man in halfords said to them its the best around??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly Halfords know zilch about Satnav's in the same way as PCWorld know little about computers!

Anything I say is obviously biased but have a browse around and you will find many users who trialled TomTom's camera database and much prefer ours.

Another thing is you cannot configure alert tones or tweak warning distances etc with the TomTom solution, with ours all this is customisable and you can use custom alerts, voice warning etc as you choose.
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Sadly Halfords know zilch about Satnav's in the same way as PCWorld know little about computers!

Anything I say is obviously biased but have a browse around and you will find many users who trialled TomTom's camera database and much prefer ours.

Another thing is you cannot configure alert tones or tweak warning distances etc with the TomTom solution, with ours all this is customisable and you can use custom alerts, voice warning etc as you choose.

i Thought the tech guys were experts Laughing Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i understand the tech guys are actually a separate company from pc world?

MaFt
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about garmin camera database??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamf wrote:
what about garmin camera database??

What about it? It's not supplied by us, it is supplied by Cyclops. No mobiles, and others who have used it think ours is better.
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamf wrote:
Darren wrote:

i had a voucher as a gift the man in halfords said to them its the best around??

Can't get my head around this - overheard the same conversation in a shop here in Sydney. Shows the power of a brand, I guess, that people blindly believe it's better...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

I'd been doing some tests over the weekend to see if the xulrunner problems were still happening, so I've connected to Home rather a lot.

I discovered this morning that I must have missed one of the "ticks" because it has installed TomTom's own UK cameras, so I was getting double alerts (strange that I got them, because I've never subscribed and took the trial ones off as soon as I bought my 720).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I had a play and, contrary to what we've all been saying, you CAN alter the alert distance (although they specify it by time instead) and you CAN specify different alert sounds, choosing from the normal sound effects or a text to speech message.

Also, their data DID include redlight cameras, when we've been saying it doesn't.

Has all this appeared since Navcore 7?
Have we been/ are we now being/ a bit unfair on them?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I had a play and, contrary to what we've all been saying, you CAN alter the alert distance (although they specify it by time instead) and you CAN specify different alert sounds, choosing from the normal sound effects or a text to speech message.

Also, their data DID include redlight cameras, when we've been saying it doesn't.

Has all this appeared since Navcore 7?
Have we been/ are we now being/ a bit unfair on them?

It certainly wasn't configurable in the past so this must be a recent addition. I wasn't aware AFAICR that it never included red lights so can't comment on if this is new or has always existed. I think I'm right in saying they don't have mobiles?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They certainly do have SOME mobiles. I'll have a look later to see if I can get some idea of how many (not sure how other than looking at the map, as I don't think they can be 'viewed' like ordinary POI files.

I also think I read somewhere that they are trying to make it an ACTIVE system where people report an active mobile site, and that gets downloaded to peoples' units via mobile/bluetooth. Can't really see that ever working in practice.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after a day of playing with them I can't find any way to get the slightest hint of how comprehensive it is. There seems to be no way of showing them EXCEPT as you drive past them.
The "warn only when on route" seems to work better than it does with normal POIs though, redlight cams that were "alerting" on my way home last night weren't when I went through the other side of the junction this morning.

Not being able to see them on the map is a BIG minus to me though.
Also, the method to report new cams LOOKS quite slick, but there is no way to REMOVE a camera position, or even to correct your own mistakes (expect to see a spurious mobile position in a tiny backstreet soon - while I was playing I thought there was one more page before it accepted it as a submission Embarassed ).

One thing that IS nice - for all camera types, the flashing icon in the left top corner is a red and white speed limit sign, like the PGPSW ones for fixed cams, but the resolution of the image is much higher, giving a smoother circle etc. No idea how they manage that, but assume it must be hard-coded into the software somehow. I did try doing a few experiments with larger .bmps when I first got the 720, but didn't find any way to make it use them.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note they have dropped their price to match ours as well, has this been a recent drop or one that I missed?

They have the advantage of being able to secure their database and add extras like the better icons. However as it's impossible to verify its coverage I would be deeply suspicious of the data quality. It brings all the complaints about our offering into sharp focus though, they don't have a demo either but at least you can quickly check our data for coverage. They give no stats on how many cameras they have nor how often they update.

It's also impossible to easily check if any of our data is in there (not that I would ever suggest they would dream of doing so!) Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garmin have also dropped their prices for the database...

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: