Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Summit HC Map - any use? Compatible with Mem Map software?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Summit HC Map - any use? Compatible with Mem Map software?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Summit HC Map - any use? Compatible with Mem Map software? Reply with quote

I've had a search and read some threads about Garmin's Topo/MapSource, most quite critical, but couldn't find the answers I need so excuse me if I repeat other threads.

I recently bought a Summit, and quite liked it, but it failed and the retailer has said they cannot get another as it is being replaced by the Summit HC. Now, the more sensitive receiver on the HC is attractive, but the unit also has a base map built in and you can use Garmin's Tops/MapSource.

As it stands the base map seems no use for walking/hiking. I am not interested in using it for road navigation as I have a TomTom. I am also not interested in points of interest such as hotels etc on the Summit.

From what I've read, Topo/MapSource is a poor imitation of an British Ordnance Survey or other paper map, but most comments were at least one year old so maybe things have changed? I've read that paths and bridleways etc are often not shown on Topo/MapSource due to licensing issues. Is that still the case?

I gather that Topo/MapSource can be used to create routes and download onto the gps unit, and to do the reverse with actual walked paths, in a similar way to Memory Map.

Now, as it is not possible to add extra map detail to the Summit HC (according to Garmin), how useful is the base map? Is Map Source easy to use and as good as Memory Map? And can Memory Map still be used to add routes to the Summit instead of MapSource? Whatever software is used, are waypoints laid on top of the base map so ground features can be seen? If not, how does it work?

Does anyone have an screen shots of a Garmin Summit HC or similar with a route displayed?

The retailer has given good service, but the Summit HC is about another £90, so if I fork out that much I want to be sure the extra features are worth it. I know the Summit HC has a colour screen but that alone isn't worth that much to me, but a decent map with clear ground features and paypoints and routes might be, though I know a map that size isn't going to be as good as a paper map.

I have to decide pretty soon if I'm going to get a refund or get the the HC unit so I'd appreciate some speedy responses. Thanks guys.
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one any experience of Garmin topo?
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry I don't have any experience of the Summit, nor using Mapsource on a GPS, but you can get a reasonable idea of the mapping from the Mapsource viewer on Garmin's website.

Basically, Topo will give good topographic detail (contours, water, etc.) and roads, but (still) does not distinguish between (nor often even show) footpaths, bridleways, etc., nor useful (for walking) POI's like churches and country pubs.

IMHO Memory Map is far better on a PC for preparing routes and waypoints, and these can be transferred to almost any handheld GPS like the Summit. The route will just appear as a series of straight lines joining the waypoints that you input. I believe all basemaps are too innacurate to be of any real use for walking. You probably appreciate that Ordnance Survey mapping cannot be transferred to any handheld GPS, but only to some PDAs (Windows Mobile PPCs).

However, the advantages of a handheld GPS over a PDA are much longer battery life, ruggedness, and IMHO a much more readable display in bright daylight.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. Very useful esp as my inexperience didn't allow me to phrase the question correctly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: