Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Membership Subscription Options Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Membership Subscription Options Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The 20 years thing is simply a limitation of the forums subscription coding which cannot cope with periods longer than 20 years Smile

aarrrggghh! It's the Y2K bug all over again!

I pointed out once before in the previous thread on this subject about Visa Card Verify and other sutch related card security products. You could insist on a prefered secure payment method and details!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Martin4Jay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who moan about the charges can always go to Tom Tom website and pay for the irritating bleep bleep bleep!! Rolling Eyes
Keep up with the good work
Very Happy

Just be truthful and follow your heart
Life is how you make it

I'm forever blowing bubbles

I'm now a happy Garman Man
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Database abuse Reply with quote

Well done! I do not believe the guy who complained as he only downloaded updates 4 times a year. £19 per annum for peace of mind is a bargain especially when you consider to cost of a fine and the subsequent increase insurance premium.
pigsy1974
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually when we say 'Lifetime' we mean as long as the site is still running so that will hopefully be a good deal longer! The 20 years thing is simply a limitation of the forums subscription coding which cannot cope with periods longer than 20 years Smile

Im not quibbling about the length of lifetime membership, just illustrating the value of contributing by submitting cameras
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, fully support this decision - for all of the reasons already stated, no need to repeat. But what I will repeat is a big, no, huge, thanks to all of the people that make this site work - and work so well. Thumbs Up
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren my point was the timing of the announcement I do thourougly respect the work that MaFt and also the rest off the team oldie included for the effort they put in, this is without question, But I think everybody should bearin mind that everybody has thier own opinion whether they use or sunbscribe,register,Paid or not Paid,Guest. because they all have thier own particular interest in the site, and should be respected not flamed simply because they have an opposite view to somebody else.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Darren my point was the timing of the announcement I do thourougly respect the work that MaFt and also the rest off the team oldie included for the effort they put in, this is without question, But I think everybody should bearin mind that everybody has thier own opinion whether they use or sunbscribe,register,Paid or not Paid,Guest. because they all have thier own particular interest in the site, and should be respected not flamed simply because they have an opposite view to somebody else.

Fair enough. Perhaps I overreacted but I can assure you that any timing was purely coincidental, we had been discussing the way forwards for some time and finally decided to bite the bullet this weekend. Changes such as this are always made with trepidation I can assure you!

Everyone's opinion is valid and we welcome all comments but of course it is only right that we consider the comments of actual subscribers when discussing changes to the subscription system over and above those of members who have never subscribed? But regardless that doesn't excuse flaming and if that is how it felt then I apologise.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I was wondering if it might be any benefit to the team and moderators if people's IDs a distinguishable - for example an 'M' suffix for paid up members and a 'G' suffix for those who use the free forum.

Maybe you could have an "L" for Lifers too. Laughing

Perhaps you could change the "Forum Rank" below our names to show the membership status rather than "Beginner" etc...
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Maybe you could have an "L" for Lifers too. Laughing

Perhaps you could change the "Forum Rank" below our names to show the membership status rather than "Beginner" etc...

A Lifelong Pfanatic with a subscription! Wink
Oh! What fond memories I'll have!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing personal Darren, Perhaps enough said
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still great value at £19.

However I don't see how this will prevent piracy. I very much doubt it's the person that pays for it who tends to put it on the net - it's probably that they then give it to their friend/son etc and THEY then pass it on again themselves until a pirate gets hold of it.

Why not put a unique seed into each download of the file and identify who it is that's leaking the file (pretty easy in PHP). Then, whenever you see a pirated version of the file, disable that person's account and show them the evidence of why you're doing it. They'll have less incentive to share it with their mates.

Nick...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
It's still great value at £19.

However I don't see how this will prevent piracy. I very much doubt it's the person that pays for it who tends to put it on the net - it's probably that they then give it to their friend/son etc and THEY then pass it on again themselves until a pirate gets hold of it.

Actually in our experience it's mostly pirates. A few have blamed flatmates, kids etc but most have held their hands up to it when faced with the evidence.
Quote:
Why not put a unique seed into each download of the file and identify who it is that's leaking the file (pretty easy in PHP). Then, whenever you see a pirated version of the file, disable that person's account and show them the evidence of why you're doing it. They'll have less incentive to share it with their mates.

We already employ such measures. We've been banning the culprits on a regular basis for some months now. The issue was that some thought the £2 was low enough to subscribe, pirate, get caught and then re-subscribe under new IDs each month. Hence this move.
Outlander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like many others complained when a charge was introduced but looking back I feel that was human nature free on minute then having to shell out my hard erned money the next. As time goes on though and you begin to realise what hard work goes into keeping this data base up to date then £19 does not seem that much to pay.

I read the concerns of people who only update occasionally through the year and feel that this is a weak argument. I myself work for the NHS and most of my daily driving is around Norfolk where I have only seen one new camera site this past year (still waiting for one of you guys to spot it for free membership) but even so I still update most months because you never know what’s been put up around that next bend.

I also fully support your decision and a big thank you to all staff and reporting members, as I know you have saved me at least 3 points and £60.

Good to see you back Dennis, how were those beers/bears.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:
Perhaps paid up members could be entitled to PGPSW car windscreen sticker as well. This would advertise the site, and make members aware of other members when out and about.

If anyone wants a windscreen sticker (and I'll have to check that we have some left) all I need is your mailing address and you can have one Smile

Last edited by Darren on Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
If anyone wants a windscreen sticker (and I'll have to check that we have some left) all I need is your mailing address and you can have one Smile

what's the best way of getting this address to you without the whole forum seeing it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 5 of 32

Jump to: