Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Membership Subscription Options Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Membership Subscription Options Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
May I suggest, Darren, that you make that thread a Sticky and keep it at the front of the forum for all to see? Oh, and if possible, alongside each one a note of the value of their lost subscription - I presume that in less than a month's time all monthly memberships will have expired.

Done, yes including those subs delayed by Paypal eCheque payments we should be clear of monthly subscribers by 28th October.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren.
Now please don't get me wrong, I'm strongly against pirating of other people's IPR, and think that it's a shame that some people think that pirating such a cheap and complete database such as ours has to be a good idea.

My current thinking is that some people, not me, might think 'Only one pirate in 3 1/2 weeks' what are they moaning about?'

Would it not have more impact, and more accurately describe the scale of pirating of our database if you also published the previous pirates on your 'name and shame' thread, even if it was only their logon names and how much of their subs that they lost. How many different download sites you have had reported might be another idea (obviously no urls)
Trev
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
My current thinking is that some people, not me, might think 'Only one pirate in 3 1/2 weeks' what are they moaning about?'

Would it not have more impact, and more accurately describe the scale of pirating of our database if you also published the previous pirates on your 'name and shame' thread, even if it was only their logon names and how much of their subs that they lost. How many different download sites you have had reported might be another idea (obviously no urls)
Trev

I can understand your point but I've chosen to start the name & shame thread at this point as there can be no excuse for not understanding the issue or being ignorant of the fact that sharing our database is not permitted.

I also don't wish to get involved in posting more facts and figures but I will add a foot note to show a snapshot of the position prior to the subscription changes.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, Just out of interest, if a user is banned and his details removed, are all the forum posts made by that person also removed?
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:
Darren, Just out of interest, if a user is banned and his details removed, are all the forum posts made by that person also removed?

No, we lock the account but the forum posts remain.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren
Re. Naming and Shaming. I've had a look. That's the sort of thing that I really meant. Very Happy
Trev
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this is slightly off topic but the following is still on this thread so thought i would add my pennyworth.

Skippy wrote:
xda wrote:
if a mobile site has not received a new confirmation, change or verification in 12 months or other suitable time span it is removed from the database, or transferred to the Pmobile. A sort of annual pruning.

I reported a mobile site (which I passed twice a day) and then didn't see it working for 18 months or more. I felt bad about reporting it and started to wonder if it was used anymore, then one day it was back.....

This is the problem with the mobile sites, I find the same, when i have reported a mobile i feel guilty when i don't see the van there again soon after, thinking i've wasted time and added yet another duff position to the database giving an excuse to hear the moans again, but i know off many mobiles in my area where the van returns 18 months or even longer later.

I think that the Safety Camera Partnership do this purposely, they are aware of these databases and intend to make it as difficult as possible to trap you.

I feel that some members have become "grumpy old men" and will whinge whatever, if you require warnings of mobiles (as i do) then load the appropriate database, all those that argue about mobiles and always whingeing about them, don't load the mobiles and suffer the consequences but STOP THE WHINGING.

The database on this site is superb and worth treble as charged, when it costs £50 to £60 to fill a car with fuel what is a yearly subsciption in comparison?

Peanuts!

As for piracy of the database - good for you Darren, name and shame them.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
electron278ts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Darren Reply with quote

Yes I do understand. You sound like a member of the team trying to cover the truth by insults to me.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, a question, after noticing the other posting discussing licensed camera issuers i.e. Handtec, if they (or others) issue a initial database with a new unit, which i presume they are allowed to, and then it is floated around etc and perhaps ultimately posted on a file sharing site etal, the purchaser may not even be a registered member of this site or even know of the site would the retailer be banned. just a thought if you have looked at this senario.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Darren, a question, after noticing the other posting discussing licensed camera issuers i.e. Handtec, if they (or others) issue a initial database with a new unit, which i presume they are allowed to, and then it is floated around etc and perhaps ultimately posted on a file sharing site etal, the purchaser may not even be a registered member of this site or even know of the site would the retailer be banned. just a thought if you have looked at this senario.

Of course we have considered this and there are measures in place. The database that retailers are permitted to supply is also only the the Single File version.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Darren Reply with quote

electron278ts wrote:
Yes I do understand. You sound like a member of the team trying to cover the truth by insults to me.

Was that response aimed at me? As you fail to quote what it is you are replying to it makes little sense.

My reply to you was clear, I have explained the issue and why the move to £19 has already made a difference.
hard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a member i only log on for 2 reasons, one to get lattest updates and the the other to submit a new camera position, i have done this couple of times in the past, i would subscrib for a month, submit position and get updated at same time, knowing that if someone else had submitted the same camera i would be £2 down but now it a lot more!!.
For example i logged on about a week back to report a new monitron camera thats gone up nearby , i was going to do the usual thing get month sub and submit position, the £19 has definately pet me off although i know i could get lifetime membership BUT some else may already have submited before me!, i have been checking the map for a week and that camera is still not on the database. I belive the only way that camera is getting on your database now is if a fully paid subscriber happens to driver past and notices the camera, all those ppl who just want the monthly sub will not bother!!!!.
Why dont you instead have member if he or she has not subscriber pay a small charge to submit camera position instead of the the full £19. I belive this database is the best, BUT FOR HOW MUCH LONGER????
Bazzaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Speed Camera Database Reply with quote

I fully support an annual membership.
I am now into my second year and believe that you do a superb job.
I'd rather be safe than sorry both in respect of an up-dated database as well as a virus free download.
Keep up the good work Darren
vibeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mostly everything has been said here, but heres my take anyway:

I understand your logic behind this, but as a monthly subscriber, I'm pretty annoyed.

I have never once given the database out beyond my family (or rather, one other person). If you feel that is wrong, then so be it, but thats how far it has gone.

I would have never dreamed of pirating it, and just paid my £2 when I felt I needed an update.

Now however, I feel if anything you are pushing me towards downloading the torr.ents. I'm not prepared to pay £19 for something I won't get anywhere near full benefit from.

I'm not at all saying its too much, or a waste of money in general - but to me personally, it IS too much.

So sadly if anything, you've actually added a few people to the list of those getting the database by dodgy means. Including me. If you want, I'll bung you a couple of quid everytime I download the torr.ent's with the latest DB in? I have no problem paying my way - but when you pull the rug from under me - you leave me no choice but to "go illegal"
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vibeone wrote:

So sadly if anything, you've actually added a few people to the list of those getting the database by dodgy means. Including me. If you want, I'll bung you a couple of quid everytime I download the torr.ent's with the latest DB in? I have no problem paying my way - but when you pull the rug from under me - you leave me no choice but to "go illegal"

but those sources are quickly drying up...

also, is £19 per year really that much extra on top of the current £2610 per year of running a car (£150 road tax, £300 insurance, £80 breakdown cover, £1500 fuel, £100 new tyres, £50 mot, £150 service, £10 oil, £200 sat nav, £50 washing, £20 wax/polish)?

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 30 of 32

Jump to: