Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Membership Subscription Options Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Membership Subscription Options Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read this thread from start to finish - every single post - and contributed periodiaclly.

It might also be worth mentioning that if some people have been submitting data for as long as they say:

1) they would have automatically qualified for a free lifetime subscription

2) they would be highly likely to have submitted a new or changed camera and qualified for afree lifetiime subscription

3) they would have no need to even look for bootleg copies of the database

4) they might be more productive about the way forward

Perhaps you should take up Darren's offer of looking back through your submission history, then either we can all have a laugh or you will have the opportunity of free lifetime subscription:

Darren wrote:
dmrolyat wrote:
And no, i never received any offer of lifetime subscription, but then i knew then as i know now, that if it started to take the p*** i'd find it elsewhere.

Do you want me to look up your submissions in our records? If you contributed prior to the implementation of the charge you qualify for the lifetime subscription. This was widely reported at the time and many took us up on this offer. If you don't want to then that is of course your choice.

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmrolyat wrote:
GPS-fan...

...however, you are correct, since the fleecing started why should i have the best interests of pgpsw at heart???

I don't think I'll dignify this with a response, since you post does such a good job of saying it all
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
DennisN wrote:
...my DIY and you wouldn't want to even LOOK at my shelves...

To make you feel better I just hung a new front door, and to cut a story short, I could have done a far better job with 10 foot of rope and a noose!

What a coincidence - I just had a man come to measure and quote (more than a Corfu wallet full) for a new back door!! Very Happy

Anyway, back to the subject at hand ...
dmrolyat wrote:

When the profiteering idea first raised its ugly head i said what i thought would happen...voila, it happened.

Under the title "I see P2P killing this idea", he said
Quote:
I have minimal objections to a charge for the database. After all, someone is working to keep the database available, bandwidth costs etc.

and went on to say quite positively
Quote:
ALL I SEE HAPPENING NOW IS THAT THE DATABASE WILL END UP BEING FREELY DISTRIBUTED VIA P2P.

Only partly voila, I'm pleased to note - not the title that P2P will kill it, only that P2P will happen. - Wow, what clairvoyance!! Or was it a threat/promise?

Maybe Darren could tell us how many paying members joined up at the start of charging and how many now? I'll bet a year's subscriptions the number has increased significantly! And how great that two thirds of "first to submit" camera data submissions were from existing life members.

It may be worth pointing out that the subscription hasn't increased over the almost two years - the annual price is still only £19. The only change is to take out the (dearer) option of monthly payment. Anybody who can't find the price of 3 or 4 packets of fags, or half a dozen pints, surely can't afford the price to keep his vehicle properly maintained?

What is the point of stealing the database and putting it out as P2P or Torrent? I'm asking seriously, not frivolously or rhetorically, I want to know. Why would you pay to buy something then give it away for nothing? I'm mystified! Is there some numpty P2P-er or Torrent-er who will buy a new van next March and give it to me. PLEASE.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Anybody who can't find the price of 3 or 4 packets of fags, or half a dozen pints, surely can't afford the price to keep his vehicle properly maintained?

or a tank of petrol to keep it on the road

or a fancy GPS decorate said vehicle
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...however, you are correct, since the fleecing started why should i have the best interests of pgpsw at heart???

Because YOU could benefit from a free life membership if you really have submitted cameras before the subs came in.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Surely these two statements are not mutually compatible because anybody who truly has the best interests of PGPSW at heart wouldn't even bother looking for bootleg copies.

Because when they are found they are uploaded to PGPSW as explained in PaulB2005's previous post.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's true.

...but what I meant was the "I'm not playing this game anymore" and "I'm going to look elsewhere" approaches aren't mutually compatible

...besides, said member has admitted not having PGPSW's best interests at heart - so I doubt they would be looking at bootleg copies for reporting purpsoes, but I hope that I might be proved wrong on this one.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmrolyat, could your submission have been a single camera in Ashton-Under-Lyne? That is the only submission I can find that might be yours, we have no record of your current email address linked to any submissions so it is difficult to match.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmrolyat wrote:
I did [some of] the groundwork when things first got started, I GOT SHAFTED, why would I then want to carry on doing their dirty work?

Strange that such a 'pioneer' doesn't appear to fall into the category qualifying for free subscription - especially since the team have offered to look into your submissions - or am I just an old synic?

Simply because you might have been a member of any organisation doesn't automatically mean that you are any more qualified or experienced - you're never too old to learn and never too young to teach.

If you were so concerned about having been shafted then why wait for two years, pay at least one annual subscription and wait for the subscription options to change before making a fuss?

Something just doesn't add up, but having investigated dubious insurance claims and alsways having an interest in forensics, I might just be too synical - in which case, experience might not be a good thing Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is entitled to their views, what I don't understand is why you had/have such strong opinions yet still chose to subscribe for a year in 2006? And why you now don't seem to want to lay claim to your lifetime subscription despite my offering it to you?

Anyways, if you are claiming the Ashton-Under-Lyne camera then as far as I can tell that was the only submission from that person rather than the dozen you claim. Unfortunately records prior to Jan 06 are not comprehensive, we have a large database of email addresses and sometimes surnames. Without an email address it's not an easy process to identify any single users submission history. However, if we can find you then we can give you your entitlement! We do however have only one compuserve address in the list and that is a real name @ compuserve so not yours, any other possibilities?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmrolyat wrote:
Whatever I am posting is not directed at any particular individual

Really?

What about all this then?

dmrolyat wrote:
GPS-fan

If you read back through the thread you would see why i searched for bootle copies.

dmrolyat wrote:
GPS-fan...

dmrolyat wrote:
So, GPS-fan

As you can see, I did predict what would happen........

Something on my screen obviously doesn't match what you are saying - must be my 'lack of experience' or something...but I did learn to read, write and add up at school Wink

I seem to be fielding rather a lot of this 'non-personal' nonsense Rolling Eyes

I think it's time for this synical old fool to climb back in his hole and retire from this thread Cool
andyuk99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Key Reply with quote

Would it not be possible to insert a key and then when you find a copy on the web identify who is sending it out ?

Oh, one last item ... on the A2 and A20 in Kent there are NEW ANPR type camera. Now what they have done is place them where some old Gatso use to be .... so confusion is the order of the day !

A20 Sidcup :-

[/img]
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Key Reply with quote

andyuk99 wrote:
Would it not be possible to insert a key and then when you find a copy on the web identify who is sending it out ?

As far as I understand, that's done already with the ID of the person who downloads the database, which is how the team are able to identify offenders.

Here's an earlier post from this thread:
Darren wrote:
NickG wrote:
Why not put a unique seed into each download of the file and identify who it is that's leaking the file (pretty easy in PHP). Then, whenever you see a pirated version of the file, disable that person's account and show them the evidence of why you're doing it. They'll have less incentive to share it with their mates.

We already employ such measures. We've been banning the culprits on a regular basis for some months now. The issue was that some thought the £2 was low enough to subscribe, pirate, get caught and then re-subscribe under new IDs each month. Hence this move.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Key Reply with quote

andyuk99 wrote:

It's a good idea - they already do that.
That's how they have been banning certain people.

As for the new cameras, you're a bit late.... see "These are not SPECS" (1st post for the mention, 8th post down for the pics)
Yours are nicer pics than mine though. Smile

Admin: I offered mine to be added to the pics at the bottom of the Camera submission page where it says "we don't want these" but it hasn't happened yet....

Last edited by Andy_P on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
andyuk99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Any idea how other organisations stop this ?

It almost sounds like a hardware option is needed , god knows how that would work.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 14 of 32

Jump to: