Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Membership Subscription Options Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Membership Subscription Options Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have taken a deep breath and counted to 10 before responding.

I'll move myself to the 'naughty step' forthwith Crying or Very sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan - not you, the likes of Flyingsparx et al....
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is another option

first time subscribers like myself get 12 database downloads for £19 in a twelve month period

an option to pay half that amount for 6 downloads in a twelve month period

subsequent yearly subscribers get unlimited downloads in a twelve month period

therefore if there is more than one update per month it is up to the individual to choose, and obviously in the first year a monthly download is the best idea! but if you only use it occasionally then the half subscription might suit you better
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
first time subscribers like myself get 12 database downloads for £19 in a twelve month period

an option to pay half that amount for 6 downloads in a twelve month period

subsequent yearly subscribers get unlimited downloads in a twelve month period

therefore if there is more than one update per month it is up to the individual to choose, and obviously in the first year a monthly download is the best idea! but if you only use it occasionally then the half subscription might suit you better

But then someone has to code the program to makes sure all this works, which costs PGPSW more.....

For anyone running a car (with all it associates costs) and a Sat Nav is an extra £19 a year so much to keep you and your license safe?
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not for me i subscribed, but for some it seems to be, just putting ideas into the pot Wink

edited to add
phbb has a code for limiting downloads i'm sure
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
not for me i subscribed, but for some it seems to be, just putting ideas into the pot Wink

They're all welcomed but we are limited by the restrictions of subscription payments thru NoChex and PayPal etc. Complex solutions such as this simply aren't possible.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
gardenshed wrote:

They're all welcomed but we are limited by the restrictions of subscription payments thru NoChex and PayPal etc. Complex solutions such as this simply aren't possible.
fair comment, duly noted Very Happy
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought that i needed to post something here just incase someone thought I was the warez bandit, and anyone who did think it was me "shame on you". Evil or Very Mad

My absence is due to yours truly blowing a big hole in his moster pc's motherboard, which is now going to be out of action for a while. Means i'm now going to be on the laptop.

I can't believe that I am going to have to remove my newly aquired sticker to make room for an even newlier one. So bring on this competition, as I'll deffo have a go, as it'll probably end up a two horse race between me and DennisN anyway. Honest offer dennis, We'll just split the prise now and save the effort! Very Happy

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Dom. As soon as I saw this forecast, I knew it would be another competition for me not to win like the monthly ones. My design skill is only bettered by my DIY and you wouldn't want to even LOOK at my shelves. So I have to bow out. Oh, and in case anyone is thinking of appointing me to judging the things, don't. My judging is similar to DIY and design. And anyway, I particularly like the present masthead etc.

Good luck, though. I have a sneaking feeling you might do quite well at it (that's genuine, not leg pull).

PS I WAS wondering where you'd got to.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmrolyat wrote:
And no, i never received any offer of lifetime subscription, but then i knew then as i know now, that if it started to take the p*** i'd find it elsewhere.

Do you want me to look up your submissions in our records? If you contributed prior to the implementation of the charge you qualify for the lifetime subscription. This was widely reported at the time and many took us up on this offer. If you don't want to then that is of course your choice.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
...my DIY and you wouldn't want to even LOOK at my shelves...

To make you feel better I just hung a new front door, and to cut a story short, I could have done a far better job with 10 foot of rope and a noose!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As I recall, there was a DUBIOUS caveat....

"...if you ARE a paid up member WHEN you submit then, if you are the first to submit that camera, you will get free lifetime membership..."

Of course, my submissions were made before anyone started making any money from it... ie. there was no fleecing (i mean subscription)

As Darren said IF you made a submission BEFORE the fees where introduced then you would have been offered a free lifetime subscription. Now as you claim to have made a submission before the fee was introduced then you should have qualified for it. Darren asked if you wanted him to check to see if you qualify. Of course if you don't wish to benefit from this bonus then feel free to turn it down.

The caveat is for submissions received AFTER the fee was introduced.

Quote:
Well, i just searched and found 212 torrents and over 100 p2p files, including the 24/09 release.

if any of them are databases released from July 2007 onwards download them and forward them to piracy at pocketgpsworld . com. The original owner can be traced and banned. This system has only been in place for a few months but it's starting to have a noticeable effect on the ease with which you can obtain the database - pirate copies will always be available but we have to try. They are not necessarily seeded by the owner. They may have been shared with someone and seeded by them or as in one resent case by the subscribers own family member.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmrolyat wrote:
When the profiteering idea first raised its ugly head i said what i thought would happen...voila, it happened.

Do me a favour and enlighten me on what you said, please - I've just spent an age going through about a third of the 60 pages, but didn't find your post and now I'm tired. What did you say would happen?

dmrolyat wrote:
Well, i just searched and found 212 torrents and over 100 p2p files, including the 24/09 release.

Would that be the 24/09/2006 release?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmrolyat wrote:
Well, i just searched and found 212 torrents and over 100 p2p files, including the 24/09 release. Which would indicate that a legit subscriber is seeding them, so even with an annual fleece fee i doubt it will do anything to curb the solution (i mean problem)

As we haven't had a 24/09/07 release we looked and it is an 06 file. Those earlier databases that were seeded were not done by legit subscribers, they were done by people whose sole purpose was to pirate data and they have forfeit their subscription.

I also answered your other question about lifetime subscriptions but clearly you either don't want to understand or choose to make it an issue.

Everyone who submitted data PRIOR to our charging for the service was invited to become a lifetime member. At the time we asked anyone who had not received an invite (and there could be many reasons for that, errors in our records, email being misfiled as SPAM etc) to email us and we would check submissions and upgrade them if they qualified. I'm happy to check back if you wish me too, if you don't then so be it.

Some interesting snippets of info, we have just compared the Sept 06 Database with the latest release and there are 3396 additions in the current release. Also, having just compiled the lifetime subs data for Sept of those who qualified, two thirds (42 people) were already lifetime subscribers.

This suggests that those who contribute to the database continue to do so even once they have a lifetime sub. It's also clear evidence that there are still many opportunities to qualify but it does need you to actually report cameras. And finally, if you do want the sticker you asked for you'll have to subscribe, that is a subscribers only offer, they can't be found on torrents.

Last edited by Darren on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:40 am; edited 2 times in total
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes me that people who say they've been submitting camera data since God was a boy - intimating that they're loyal members - then go and say how many warez copies they can find

Surely these two statements are not mutually compatible because anybody who truly has the best interests of PGPSW at heart wouldn't even bother looking for bootleg copies or count how many copies they can find.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 13 of 32

Jump to: