Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman Launch S-Series PND's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman Launch S-Series PND's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beulahroad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had an S90i since Oct07, and before Christmas it developed the same problem as jtsdata's (camera output black with slow response to shutter), so it was sent to Navman's repair facility.
I have also asked them to look at the fact that sometimes it looses reception on all all gps sats, but restores when tapped. Will report results when it comes back to me!
phillip15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: S90i Camera fault Reply with quote

This seems to be a common problem with the S90i. I too have a problem where the viewfinder screen is black. Performing a hard reset seems to correct this problem (pressing power button for about 5 seconds).

I can't see what is causing the fault. At first I thought it was something to do with the USB socket or charging the unit, now I'm not so sure.

judging by the number of post's on the subject I suspect it is a fault with the software and hoping that after complaining to Navman (2 months ago)they will rectify this soon. Hope other S90i owners with this problem and other bugs will pester Navman to get it sorted. I didn't pay top dollar for a top of the range Sat Nav to find many faults. Obviously Navman have FAILED to bug test the unit properly. I've come across about another 8 bugs which I might post later.

Good luck
paybak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: NAVMAN S30 TO GOOGLE EARTH CONVERTER Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, i have written some software that will convert the Navman s30's .log files (enabled in Navman's preferences) to Google Earth Kml files.
You just have to navigate to My Documents on your Navman Device.

You can download the software here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ztogma5jgqw

any feedback or suggestions are welcomed.
Tested and works for UK.
ysenrab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi payback - have you discovered a way to store log files directly to an SD card in the s30? I am not sure what to put in the Navmans gpslog.ini file to direct the gps to the card.

I am also writing code to extract speed travelled at any given time (Australian EST) but want to save the log file directly to the SD card as it's created so I can have a larger file than is possible in the s30's root directory.

I have not been able to get assistance from Navman on this issue and have so far tried a few educated guesse without success.

Any suggestions would be appreciated from anyone.
paybak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: navman log Reply with quote

can't say i know of a way to re-direct the log files onto the SD card.

As to calculating the speed, Have you tried my software?

It calculates the speed at any given time of the gps track, and outputs it to a file.

Calculating the speed isn't as straight forward as it sounds. You have to first work out the great circle distance (based on the curveture of the earth) then work out meters per second, then KMPH finally to MPH.
(Trust me i work for a survey company!)

I do not believe that the log file location can be altered, but it would only take a small tweek to my program to transfer them to the SD when being processed.....

If i sat down long enough i could probably find a work around, just too many things on the go at the moment!

Dunno if this is an option for you.?
ysenrab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to the research I have done the speed field in the log file is in knots in an NMEA format file, and I have found experimentally that if I convert the number in that field directly to kmh it is the correct speed as displayed by the gps (in kmh), at the time it was recorded. That is the Eighth field in the RMC string I am refering to.

I have not tried your program. No offence but I like to create my own software when I have the time and inclination to do so.

I will continue to try to get the log file to go to the SD card directly. I just thought you may have stumbled accross a solution during the course of your programming, rather than put in a lot of work myself (also busy).

Thanks for your response anyway.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find one of the old Garmin manuals is very handy for information about the NMEA data stream, you can download it by clicking Here Have a look from page 20 onwards. - Mike
ysenrab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that confirms what I said above - the speed is in knots in the RMC string.
I was wrong however when I said it was in the 8th field it is actually in the 7th. I was speaking from memory, unfortunately my memory had a glitch.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being UK Based we use MPH rather than KPH, the long 11 digit number in the middle of this screen dump is the constant I use for Knots to MPH conversion - Just thought it might be useful info and might save you looking it up/ working it out:

Don't worry about the rest of the coloured lines and boxes, this was from a small PDA application I created a few years ago for use on a cycle - Mike
ysenrab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that Mike however that isn't really my issue. That issue about land speed just spawned from some comments someone else made.

my original question was about how to modify gpslog.ini so that the log files are created on the SD card instead of in internal memory. That way when I travel 1200 kms I am not going to fill up the poultry bit of free space available in the gps.

Over here in Australia it is not uncommon to travel that far (one way) by car (or should I say in one's motor), when on holidays.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: