Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems with TT RDS/TMC solved?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with TT RDS/TMC solved?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all Dennis, what it means is do not use two TomTom devices with an RDS-TMC device coupled to each unit, two (or more) TomTom units next to each other are fine - even though this does degrade the GPS signal.

Two TomTom RDS-TMC units causes interference and you get poor reception. It has nothing to do with the vehicles radio.

The reason for stating this point, is that some people might get replacements and try using the old receiver with a second device as a comparison test (I did Embarassed ) and it does indeed mess up reception.

Single TomTom RDS-TMC and the new receiver is fine, no need to hook it to the external aerial "farm" - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.
As a man of aerials, can you answer two more please.

1. If I buy two external antennae for GO710 and 720, will they interfere with each other? I'm concerned about degrading signal with them between 2 and three feet apart when I'm in Loverly London. I could route one up each side of the windscreen, then back and out through back door onto roof at each side of the van - the nearest they'd run to each other would be at the windscreen position and if possible I'd like the devices close together.

2. If TT have "solved" the RDS-TMC business, do you think they'll start selling them again? - there aren't any on their website.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the two aerials you are thinking of buying are the GPS receivers? - they shouldn't interfere with each other keep them at least 12" appart, although I have found the new devices work that well the external feed is not required.
I would have thought TomTom will start to sell the RDS device as it now works, its just a question of when - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I really DO need to take them up opposite sides of the windscreen? I'm thinking of getting them for London canyons - I get terrified when the devices start turning tails and somersaults amongst that traffic - if you don't keep an eye on them all the time, you glance at them and you're all over the place, recalculated and being told to turn every which way, when you're pretty sure you should still keep going straight ahead. I went to a worshipful company of something (artillery or whatever) once and ended up driving round the place a few times because it was dancing around me! The GO700 with external aerial seemed more stable (how I miss it, but I can't really go taking it back from relative, can I?).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was one of the complainants in the spring.

Two days ago TT wrote asking for confirmation of my addess. Yesterday the box arrived for me to return the old and faulty device.

I had not needed to jog their memories so, for some of us anyway, the system of supplying replacements is working.

Tony
Wildoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:
I was one of the complainants in the spring.

Two days ago TT wrote asking for confirmation of my addess. Yesterday the box arrived for me to return the old and faulty device.

I had not needed to jog their memories so, for some of us anyway, the system of supplying replacements is working.

Tony

I have had the very same + a response that TT have received the faulty device and sent out a replacement - just a shame the Royal Mail are in charge of delivering it!!
tonygamble
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived earlier this week.

I got a chance to test it today and it seems fine.

Fingers crossed.

Tony
London SW6
Wildoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My replacement is brilliant - gets reception in my drive whereas the old one it was 50 miles before I got a signal!! Now what about some of the dodgy traffic data that Im seeing ;-).

W
gilesjuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, you can't blame the unit if the FM signal is non-existant. Even my car stereo with decent aerial fails to get stations UK wide.
Wildoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilesjuk wrote:
Come on, you can't blame the unit if the FM signal is non-existant. Even my car stereo with decent aerial fails to get stations UK wide.

Question

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: