Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dubai: A Speed Camera Every 100 Metres?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dubai: A Speed Camera Every 100 Metres?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Dubai: A Speed Camera Every 100 Metres? Reply with quote

Culture is a funny thing. What is perfectly acceptable in some countries is unacceptable in others. Actually we can go one step further and say that what is acceptable in one person’s mind is unacceptable in others. Indeed, World peace aside, there are very few issues that we nearly all agree on… apart from one: Governments should not use speed cameras as revenue generators.

We shrug our shoulders at paying income and sales taxes, but when we think our governments are filling their coffers by stealth, we all get very hot under the collar.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have travelled on business to a number of countries over the last few years. In every country, I’ve spoken to numerous people about speed cameras and indeed, the related subjects of government and taxes have occasionally arisen. However, talking to delegates this week at the 3GSM conference in Dubai has opened my eyes to the differing depths of feeling on the subject.

The citizens of this Emirate state seem to have strong views on this subject to say the least! I cannot recall one conversation here where the words government and taxes were not mentioned - usually accompanied by a wry and knowing smile.

Several years ago I remember those very same conversations occurring regularly in the UK. It seems as if acceptance, if not complacency, has started to settle in at home.

Now, whilst similar to most countries, Dubai has its fair share of sensible drivers, it has also its fair share of lunatics. Said lunatics tend to take an even dimmer view of speed cameras.

With its increasingly wealthy roads sporting thousands of high-speed supercars, the more fully qualified lunatics are said to be (even though I find this hard to believe!) testing these cameras with speeds of 170 mph - the speed whereby the camera is reportedly too slow to capture the moment.

Couple this sort of behavior with the knowledge that many of Dubai’s previous generation procured their driving licenses with, shall we say, not as many lessons as some other countries demand, it pays to look both ways whilst crossing the road.

Mix that with the different cultures and unfamiliar driving conditions of the 100s of thousands of ex-patriots currently working here and you will begin to understand that the road traffic authorities (RTA.ae) have a bit of a task on their hands.

The following disturbing YouTube video will give an indication of the driving styles of a dangerous minority in just one of the city’s tunnels: Accidents in Dubai Tunnel

Maybe unsurprisingly, the ratio of deaths in road accidents in Dubai is high; 20 deaths per 100,000. Mattar Al Tayer, Chairman of the Board and Executive Director of the RTA said "It is a very dangerous indication, as the rate of death in traffic in countries such as Sweden, the UK and Germany ranges between 5 to 8 deaths per 100,000”.

This city has in fact one of the highest accident rates per capita in the world.

Many say the government cynically uses this fact as the ‘excuse’ for its ongoing programme of introducing thousands of more ‘revenue generators’. Some say that the possibility of a camera every 100 or so metres may eventually become a reality.

However, there is still a significant proportion of the population that welcome this increase. Many are more than aware of the danger on their roads and perceive that the only answer is speed reduction through camera use.

Following on from the tightening of rules that all new drivers will have to attend at least 40 driving lessons, last month the Dubai authorities altered the speed limits on most of their roads from 120km per hour to 100kmph.

There is also an increasing self-regulation by transport companies and taxis with the use of in-car speed warning alarms, usually triggered when 100kmph is reached.

Sounds a great idea in general, but the speed alarm in the taxi I used yesterday drove me nuts – not only did the driver have no regard for the speed limit, he appeared to have no regard for the constantly repeated ‘boings’ that, given a longer journey, would have driven even the most patient of men to murder. He did however slow down for the many cameras. If anything, at least the presence of the cameras managed to afford some relief from the bells!

Famously back in 2005, Hewlett Packard, in the first advertising deal of its kind, branded many of Dubai’s speed cameras with their familiar logo.

This helped pay for an increase in speed cameras and, along with other initiatives, currently allow the authorities to capture over 130,000 traffic violations per month… that’s over one per year for every driver in the city at a cost to motorists of 600 Dirhams (£81 / $163 / €120) per offence.

Equating to well over one hundred million pounds in annual camera revenue, this should help this small Emirate state’s investment in future road safety quite nicely.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
testing these cameras with speeds of 170 mph - the speed whereby the camera is reportedly too slow to capture the moment.

I recently watched an episode of Myth Busters that busted this myth.

Anyone that thinks that a car is faster than a computer response is lucky if they don't prove Darwin correct by removing themselves from the gene pool.
Green_ninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
Quote:
testing these cameras with speeds of 170 mph - the speed whereby the camera is reportedly too slow to capture the moment.

Anyone that thinks that a car is faster than a computer response is lucky if they don't prove Darwin correct by removing themselves from the gene pool.

It's actually nothing to do with the speed of the computer but the delay between the flashes. These storied come from Gatsos which have a 1/2 second gap between the flashes and therefore pictures. It is possible with a high enough speed (and also depending on the angle of the camera) to be out of shot for the second picture. But I believe the newer cameras use a shorter delay and Truvelo use induction loops in the road so I can't see it being possible to fool them.
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Dubai: A Speed Camera Every 100 Metres? Reply with quote

I watched an experiment on top gear a few years ago and the STIG drove through a speed camera at over 170mph. The camera flashed twice. However when the film was looked at, the car was going at such a speed that it was not caught on film at the first or second flash.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dubai: A Speed Camera Every 100 Metres? Reply with quote

Buffdaddy wrote:
STIG drove through a speed camera at over 170mph. The camera flashed twice.

Watch it again, the camera didn't flash at all. The camera has a cut off limit of (I think it's 155 MPH / 250km/h) and disregards speeds outside that range.

Buffdaddy wrote:
the car was going at such a speed that it was not caught on film at the first or second flash

At 170 MPH, the car would have only traveled 38 meters between the flashes...

Laser guns are a different story though, there was a biker nicked at 157 MPH and Police say they clocked someone at 170 MPH though he was too fast for them to get his number plate. Laughing
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think is, the camera that they use was old tech, and I sure the multitude of new, modern, digital cameras would have different outcome.

And I doubt they would allow TG to test a gatso if they didn't feel there was any risk! And all this information is no good to me as my audi only goes upto 130 (apparently). Wink

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
all this information is no good to me as my audi only goes upto 130 (apparently). Wink

what?? even when you strip out all the seats and unnecessary weight? Wink

This would mean that your Audi couldn't keep up with Dennis' little white van Rolling Eyes

...most of us will just have to dream about reaching these speeds Crying or Very sad
smiley1081
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
Quote:

Moreover, you need ARMs...

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/1996/ill-feb96.html

See the Feb 14th entry, "RAF Taunts Policemen, Penguins"
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubai is still a middle-east dictatorship where one could understand putting a camera every 100 meters to rip people off. How about rip-off Britain though that is supposed to be a great democracy (my a**)
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dubai: A Speed Camera Every 100 Metres? Reply with quote

Buffdaddy wrote:
I watched an experiment on top gear a few years ago and the STIG drove through a speed camera at over 170mph. The camera flashed twice. However when the film was looked at, the car was going at such a speed that it was not caught on film at the first or second flash.

Just in case you missed the link above Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZkCmuAdrWk
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are lunatics. This is not pretty, and no seatbelts either! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElOIK57FMWQ

HTC Desire HD - Sygic

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: