Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WAV files on Go!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WAV files on Go!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see both sides to this BUT if the ogg files are re-named the Speed Camera files would also have to be renamed - no big deal one might think.

How many posts do you think we will have within the first release week with people saying they have double warnings, or they will update the database but not re-configure the warnings, so they would be running on old data?

I have to say leave it well alone, if anything we could re-write the guides to put the ogg files into a folder to get rid of the stupid missing photos message that is a regular problem for users. Doing this could re-name the ogg files leaving the cameras alone. I bet only a small percentage of Speed Camera Database users actually use the forums or read the download page when performing an update - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your comments mirror my concerns. It's a lot of work to change and a lot of hassle in support for little real gain as their is nothing to stop anyone wishing to use this method from renaming the files themselves if they wish.

Anyway we'll see what the rest of the team think.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tend to agree that there WOULD be a sticky couple of weeks (but an extra note about deleting everything just this once could be put next to the download button or in the download package itself).
The plus points are that it would solve a long-term issue about not being able to see the relevant part of the actual .ov2 file's name on some screens and it would mean that both methods of voice alert could be easily implemented with one set of files.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other knock on effects would be the Ash10 and CBROM's PC based software would need a re-hash to work, I would also think telling people to delete files from a map folder is dangerous, how many wrecked devices would there be from carrying this out incorrectly (as undoubtedly quite a few would mess it up).

As I said before people don't read instructions, you could shout the message from the highest hill top it still wouldn't get through - don't forget the Speed Camera Database is used by lots of different navigation units, removal instructions might not be as simple for all of them as they are for the TT product range - Mike
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With such a large number of people using the database any major change like this will cause havoc. 90% of people dont read instructions so will not realise that a change has occurred. The level of support would be amazing...

I used to live by an old motto "I if it aint broke dont fix it".

I realise that it is inconvenient for what I imagine is a very small percentage of the users who do change the alerts this way, but then it is not impossible for these guys to rename the files. Indeed we could include a .bat file to rename them.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Indeed we could include a .bat file to rename them.

If that's easy to do (and more importantly, easy for the punters to do), it would be the simplest solution.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: