Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom complete the new GO x20 range, announcing the GO 920
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom complete the new GO x20 range, announcing the GO 920
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
So, as a guess it will cost £80 to £100 more than the 720.
(Someone stated Handtec are asking £150 more.)

It is a complete guess, TomTom have not announced any price. If you need US mapping then it may be cost effective with the remote being a £30 option on 5290 and 720's. If you don't need US then you likely don't need a 920.
a4000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good logic by tt...

The fewer new features they have in the 920, the less they will actually have to have working when they release it!

Very Happy hahaha
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a4000 wrote:
This is good logic by tt...

The fewer new features they have in the 920, the less they will actually have to have working when they release it!

Very Happy hahaha

Very true. Laughing

Only one 'genuine' new feature.

Still plenty of 'old' features on the 720 need fixing.

handsfree (buzzing, but some do work)
battery life (most get no more than 1hr 45min)
voice recording (intermittent)
difficult to read, road on now.
TomTom Home Virtual GO. (XULRunner)
Computer voice distortion when battery low.
UK 'Help Me' POI missing for Police,Doctor, Dentist,Pharmacy.

Any more?
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the 20gb hard drive, mp3 player, and all that stuff... ?
(Or did TT finally decide they weren't in the entertainment business after all?)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has got an mp3 player in the same way the 720 device has one, the lack of a decent amount of storage space is a backwards step IMHO, although deletion of the actual hard drive is a good move as they don't last too well in vehicles. - Mike
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well handtec have the 720 (non T) for around £280 and pre-order 920T for £470. That would be £190 difference for non-working TMC, remote which you can buy anyway, more maps (additional central Europe and north America and Canada) and the gyroscope laser thingummy. Hmm.

If I drove around eastern Europe, north America and lots of tunnels then the extra £190 must be a bargain.

The old 910 was better than the 710 for many reasons such as:

- 20Gb storage
- Remote
- Text to speach (520 has this now)
- etc.

So why is this coming out?
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: TomTom existing customers Reply with quote

Lots of cynicism out there guys. It would be nice if TomTom rated their existing customers' requirements before trying to flog more products with dubious functionality. Bit of a shambles really! Regular map updates would be nice.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK version of the 920 is NOT the T version and does not come with the TMC receiver. This would have to be purchased seperately. I think TomTom have found TMC to be too unreliable in the UK.

Nick...
john999boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is DennisN going to work in a zoo in Corfu with the bears Laughing
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom existing customers Reply with quote

Rowan29a wrote:
It would be nice if TomTom rated their existing customers' requirements before trying to flog more products with dubious function.

ROFLMAO - the funniest thing I have read this week. And pigs might fly.

This is a classic piece of product segmentation - a textbook example of continually tweaking the same basic product and presenting it as new products to extend its sales reach and shelf life. Different consumers are fooled into thinking something is more tailored to their needs this way, and more likely to buy something that appears to be differentiated for them.

It has NOTHING to do with understanding practical usage and functional need and everything to do with image, segmentation, reach and brand.

TomTom? Think about existing customers? Nah - you must be hallucinating - the only thing this bunch of sharks is interested in is MORE customers, NEW customers and the only risk they run is that bad word of mouth from existing customers might ever influence new punters in the marketplace - and as long as they can sustain the current growth rate and keep up the marketing spend that risk is very very low.

Cynical? Moi? Every reason to be - currently being called a liar by TT cust services who deny what my TT device is telling me, and refuse a measly few euros refund to make me a satisfied customer who is somewhat miffed at being sold a pup (new maps with demonstrably less detail on them than the old ones)

PS Anyone read this month's WHICH magazine? Planning to investigate satnavs being sold in the shops with out of date maps...
(Sorry - gone too far off-topic here.)
smiley1081
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom complete the new GO x20 range, announcing the GO Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
carl_w wrote:
lamplight wrote:

It'll be really handy of course to know not to make a wrong turn when going through a tunnel or going over a bridge Rolling Eyes
Yes, highly amusing Rolling Eyes
I assume you've never driven through a tunnel with junctions in (e.g. the Limehouse Link in Docklands, or the extensive tunnel system in Dusseldorf), or junctions immediately afterwards (Holmesdale and Bell Common tunnels on the M25)

Add to that list Basle, Zurich and Boston, plus many others.

Rome, built on seven hills!
sensei121
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 920 Reply with quote

How disappointing I was expecting a bit more than that from the 920 considering it is supposed to be the flagship model, er won't be going to usa anytime, so maps useless, Europe? yes ok useful, TMC total rubbish does not really work, gyro thingymajig not worth the extra £200 can buy a 720 for about £279.97 from Dixons so already £50 cheaper than last month, will stick to my 910 for now wait for tomtom to release the v7 software for it, bang it on, bobs your uncle, will probably buy a 720 soon have had a play with one could do with tweaking, provided mount bit rubbish as no connections into it, cant rest it on my dash as power cable poorly thought out looks a bit flimsy too, missing poi's for U.K, voice selection hit and miss, doesn't recognise my manly northern accent, bit more for your refined southern estuary accent, hmmm!!! come to think of it might just stick to my 910 after all!!
tunne1rat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Can we find out if the new device employs a gyro with moving parts or is it using a lazer gyro type device or something else as I find this part of the new device of interest, I appreciate the older 700 had a similar system built into it, but times move on.

If it is a lazer device is it fixed or sat on a vibration device as stationary Lazer gyros are known to be poor at slow rate of change, where as gyros that spin don't really lend themselves to a vehicle enviroment - Mike

I suspect it will be a device such as the ADXL330 3 axis accelerometer as used in the Nintendo Wii controller. This solid state device looks like a conventional ic has 16 pin outs and measures 4mm square. The product measures acceleration with a minimum full-scale range of ±3 g. It can measure the static acceleration of gravity in tilt-sensing applications, as well as dynamic acceleration resulting from motion, shock, or vibration.
Can't wait to get my screwdrivers on one!
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom 920 Reply with quote

sensei121 wrote:
How disappointing I was expecting a bit more than that from the 920 hmmm!!! come to think of it might just stick to my 910 after all!!

I have gone back to my trusted TT700 after my long wait for the TT720 which was very disappointing. I was hoping there was a TT920 coming out aswell to keep my dream of a newer model alive, however after reading about whats on offer im not sure what the benefits will be either?

I expect i will still buy one though and have a play.. Confused
astrobhoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have found this website to pre-order for £299. Is that the best place do you think?

http://www.navcity.co.uk/GPS%20Catalogue/Automotive/Dedicated/TomTom/TomTom%20GO%20920%20T___1071.htm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: