Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom ONE v3 Announced
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom ONE v3 Announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the Third Edition you will have two choices as far as I can see, return the device as "Unfit for purpose" as it cannot do what the manual states it can, although I should add you can put custom POI on the device and set up warnings its just not possible to manipulate or add to any custom POI files as supplied.

or

Enable the menu options that TomTom don't want you to see or use (they do work once switched on) - the downside is you loose the Map Share functions in way of sending updates, but if you configure the device for map share BEFORE installing a custom menu you will at least get the TomTom updates when connected to Home, it just means you cannot add to the pool of information by adding updates on the device, I have detailed enabling the full menu structure at the end of This Thread - Mike
tonytol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mike. I'm still not sure about poi's but there's a specific thread about this on the forum, so I'll jump in there.
Cabbie1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: POIs Reply with quote

I was amazed to discover the 3rd edition in its 'out of the box state' does not support the add/edit/delete personal POI function that is, i believe, present in all other models.

It is possible to drag & drop user created POI categories/files from another device/memory card into the map folder and they will will work fine on the 3rd edition but this is of little use if you intend to expand your POI collection further.

The 2nd edition has all the options you would expect and with the latest update you get everything except 'map-share'

Ken
thestarsshine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't go through the previous 5 pages, but 'Itinerary' planning was dropped as well.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestarsshine - can you explain why these features were dropped from the 3rd Edition ONE please?
clay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just gone for the One XL from Amazon for £132.36 when you sign up for there dvd rental service ( cancel after first week ).
Scirocco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Scirocco - let us know of any problems in use. There is another thread from new users about 3rd Edition units freezing so hopefully these are isolated cases not not a general fault.

Just an update on a previous post I made on this thread I have to inform that my V3 also resets itself while in use. When it does reboot it is hit and miss as to weather it remembers the route or not. I asked tomtom support for advice and they replied by telling me on how to remove certain files to force a reinstall of the software (this is the cause they say). All they succeded in doing was rendering the unit inoperable. Had to install the back up I made earlier just to get it to work again!! Sorry but it is a big thumbs down from me and it is going back under the '28 days and not fit for purpose' gambit. Shame really as the unit is a compact and smart piece of kit that had all the things I wanted and none of the frippery that costs and never gets used. Right, where to get a Garmin from?..............
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said no such thing, I guess you somehow miss quoted another post that did contain a true quote Cool - easy done, but it took some time to find it, I couldn't remember typing what you had put though! - Mike

For the true context:

Snudge wrote:
mikealder wrote:
If you want the very latest map available go for the One Third Edition,

I'm at the point where I would definitely like the ONE but from the comments made I think I would like to have Itinerary planning. I don't know if I want the latest maps though?
My question is - how much different are they to the previous release and are the differences noticeable?
Scirocco - let us know of any problems in use. There is another thread from new users about 3rd Edition units freezing so hopefully these are isolated cases not not a general fault.
If I don't make my mind up soon all the Edition 2s will be sold and I will have to have an Edition 3 anyway. Smile
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scirocco, thanks for update and as Mike has said it was me who asked you if you got any problems.
I still want a ONE but not sure about the 3rd Edition now, so is the problem likely to be a hardware fault or just a software bug which an update from TomTom will fix?
Scirocco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys! No offence intended. Over edited a previous quote and lost the plot Embarassed Laughing
Cutietrol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning all.

I've just picked up a Third Edition One (Europe) and as far as I can see all the functionality is there. I can do itinerary planning, create my own POI's, use other people's POI, all that sort of thing. As this is my first Satnav you can rest assured that this is out of the box performance, as I wouldn't dare go messing about with menu structures or anything at this point - although I did download the alternative UK map colouring so that roads are the correct colour.

It's not all been plain sailing of course, I have found it less straightforward than I had imagined to get registered on tomtom's site, it took ages to find the correct place to enter the mapshare/camera update code from the green card (which seems to do nothing anyway). The latest map check didn't give me an option for the One Third Edition so I had to use best guess and pick another model that was running the Western Europe maps...

I downloaded the Tomtom Home software and it claims I have a GO attached not a one, and despite having mapshare turned on nothing appears to happen when I connect to tomtom home. The onscreen prompt claims updates will be downloaded automatically, but if they are then there's no notification of this, always "No updates found".

The unit itself is good, navigates correctly as far as I can tell and recalulates almost invisibly, but I from a new user perspective the rest of the software (and indeed, website) could use some attention to make them a bit more friendly. Oh, and I'm puzzled as to why no house numbers are available on my home street's postcode - it's not a new road or anything.

EDITED TO ADD - Of course, as soon as I'd posted to say that I can perform all of these "missing" functions without difficulty I realised that that was only by using the TomTom Home software for itinerary planning, managing POI's, etc. and that I can't do it from the unit standalone... Still, I can work around it in the meantime by either manual destinations or registry edit (though I doubt I want to as yet), but I can see that it's pretty annoying to not have that functionality from the outset. Anyone care to speculate how likely it is that TomTom will come out with a software update to correct this?
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Cutietrol.

Welcome to the forum Smile

What version of Home are you using?
The mapshare menu became available for me after upgrading from home v1.5 to v2.

See my post related to similar issue.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=59603&highlight=

Regards
Paul
CamerAlert on Galaxy S2
Wife 4 backup
Cutietrol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that Minidish.

Yes, it appears I was using version 1.5. As a new user I thought I'd go to the TomTom website, go to TomTom home and choose "Download the latest version". Clearly what I should have done was do a Support search for home to get to this page http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=home&FID=7602 and download version 2...

Version two recognises that I have a One. Hurrah. It has updated some things, which is also good. On the down side it's made my Operate my One match exactly with the unit itself, so I no longer have the ability to create custom pois, itinerary planning, etc. 2 steps forward, one step back...

It wouldn't be such an issue if the POIs that came with it were up to scratch, but sadly when I ask it to find the nearest vet to me it suggests the closest as being in Norway or similar...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not making ANY excuses for TomTom's decision to cripple the functionality, you CAN still add third-party POI categories (like the ones from here) by pasting the .ov2 and .bmp files into the map folder, and they will work. What you can't do (with the menu as provided) is add/delete/edit them on screen.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems TomTom have been listening. I bought a One XL yesterday, upgraded the software and have version 7.12 with mapshare, itinerary planning, POI management and some new optons including being able to view Navigator view with North up, which I find a useful option. Now I just want the ability to disable automatic zooming, map follows gps in map view and edit itinerary names. Please......

Does anyone know how to use a sd card in the One XL? When I insert it I get a little diagram indicating I have to remove the card. So what is the point in having a sd slot?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: