Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What is best software for adding POIs to my NUVI 660?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What is best software for adding POIs to my NUVI 660?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: What is best software for adding POIs to my NUVI 660? Reply with quote

I am looking for some software facility to aid me in finding and adding POIs to my Garmin 660. What are most people using? I found that it was a bear to add POIs to my NAVMAN 550 using their Smart(?) ST software so I would like something that actually works properly.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only tool set to use is POILoader which is available from Garmin for free (just click the link) - you might want to explore the other utility programs that Ash has made available for the speed camera installation which can be found on the forum, but for POI's the Loader app is what you need

As for finding POI files to install why not take a look at the POI Downloads page on this web site, the files are avalable in Garmin format, just click the dropdown box that by default is set to TomTom and you will get the option to select Garmin, there are hundreds of categories to choose from containing hundreds of thousands of individual locations (there is a link to the left of this page Points of interest - Down load POI's) - Mike
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikealder,

Thank you for the information. I have downloaded the POI Loader. I also downloaded some POIs from where you suggested. However, Winzip Pro does not recognize the downloaded file as a valid archive. I am running XP so I do not think that the note regarding the need to use the stuffit application should apply. I also noted that the page returned to TomTom whenever I did a refresh. I then selected Garmin but am not sure whether I am actually getting the files in Garmin format.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check to see if you have the correct file types, the Tomtom ones end in .ov2 and the Garmin one .csv. You'll get files ending in .bmp with both downloads, these are the icons that display on your satnav.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, Winzip Pro does not recognize the downloaded file as a valid archive.

Try the Show Link option - this is a common problem.

Quote:
I also noted that the page returned to TomTom whenever I did a refresh. I then selected Garmin but am not sure whether I am actually getting the files in Garmin format.

I use a Garmin i3 and don't hit the refresh button. I only do that if the country needs to be changed, then i select Garmin and it downloads the correct csv files.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not need to go anywhere near the Stuff-it application as that is for a Mac based device, Wndows Explorer is quite capable of opening the downloads from this site, try again bearing in mind the tips the others have offered above - Mike
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clicking on the Show Links box solved the problem of getting a valid archive downloaded. I just picked up a 2gb SD card. My computer has a slot for an SD card so I would presume that I can use POILoader to download the POIs directly to the card without having to involve the Garmin at all. I'll give iy a go and see what happens. I do appreciate the help from everyone.
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clicking on the Show Links box solved the problem of getting a valid archive downloaded. I just picked up a 2gb SD card. My computer has a slot for an SD card so I would presume that I can use POILoader to download the POIs directly to the card without having to involve the Garmin at all. I'll give iy a go and see what happens. I do appreciate the help from everyone.
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about posts showing up twice. Seems to be some problem with my browser sometimes sending twice. I am looking into the problem. Again, sorry.
RobertV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the POIs onto the SD card and plugged the card into the NUVI. It asked whether I wanted to copy the new data to the NUVI and I said yes. Hope I did the right thing as I could not find any mention of this message in the manual. Everything seems to be working ok. I am assuming that I will get the same message again when I make any changes on the SD card. Because the POIs have been copied to the NUVI will it still see them if I were to remove the card? Or is it now doing an automatic copy each time that I turn on the NUVI?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a copy of the POI data on both the device and the SD card so if you remove the memory card the POI files will still be available on the device - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: