Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia 6110 Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia 6110 Navigator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Nokia 6110 Navigator Reply with quote

Not sure whether this is the right place Sad but has anyone hereabouts had any experience of Route 66 on the Nokia Navigator?

Looks an interesting piece of kit as a backup to TT5.21 on PDA, but have done a search here and can't find very much. I'd be interested in opinions on the phone as much as the satnav, esp. as Route 66 appears to have had a mixed reception.

Any views welcomed Thumbs Up
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Route 66 is a very capable program and I still use it but I have no experience with it on the hardware you are intending using it on, I use the PDA version and have no problems with it IIRC you cannot use speed camera warnings on the software running on the Nokia OS though - Mike
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I was sorta hoping that someone out there had used this combination in earnest, speed cameras or no speed cameras (we don't break the limits, do we? Laughing ) and could provide feedback on just how well it works before I shell out the moolah on a nice-to-have rather than an essential item.

Maybe I'll just wait a while, as I'm of the view that satnav on mobiles is an up and coming item. Maybe someone else will do it better than Nokia.

Cheers
911man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm not a Nokia fan, but I own a Nokia 6110 navigator and it's probably one of the best phones I've owned, I change phones every couple of months so you probably get the drift.
The route 66 and and gps reception for me has been faultless, in the car pick up is fast, and it even works indoors after a few minutes. I would prefer tomtom on the phone when it comes available with the inbuilt receiver, but until then it will do fine, the voice prompts are loud even in a noisey car and work well in advance even at breakneck speeds without problem.
I have route 66 on several other phones, and this appears to be a seperate version just for the Nokia navigator as the layout is different from all the other versions, it's listed on the phone as navigator8.......
I had a nokia n95 prior to this and loaded route 66 onto that, and although it worked with the inbuilt receiver, it was quite a bit slower than the dedicated version on the 6110 navigator, or perhaps the phone was just slower, although nokia claim this is not so.
Honest opinion, great phone and the satnav is excellent even though it's not tomtom.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrocompass wrote:
Maybe I'll just wait a while, as I'm of the view that satnav on mobiles is an up and coming item. Maybe someone else will do it better than Nokia.

You should take a look at the HTC Artemis or its derivatives (the T-Mobile MDA Compact - III which doesn't have WiFi) or the O2 XDA-Orbit which is a direct copy of the Artemis, in a black case).

The Artemis is a cracking device with a decent size screen, built in GPS as well as all the other functionality needed for being truly mobile - its not that large either considering it is a full blown PDA based phone, it runs Route 66 very well and being PPC based you can use Speed Cameras from this site with spoken warnings - well worth considering if you want a phone with built in GPS - Mike
911man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you actually tried a nokia 6110 navigator, I've got an orbit, yes lovely but big and touch screen, fine if you like that sort of thing but not practical for the average person that likes to text and find their way round their phones, and believe me if you like the stereo up a bit or have lots of exhaust note, then it really isn't loud enough even on full level, I had to channel mine through the bluetooth visor kit to hear it. It's a far better spec than the navigator, but I thought the original question was asking about experience with a nokia navigator????? Sorry not trying to be awkward, but posted an answer to the question asked, and the other joy with the nokia is its small in your pocket and very user friendly.......................oh and the sat receiver is far faster getting a fix on the nokia navigator if we're getting down to comparisons
Cheers G
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks G

Glad you've found the 6110 useful. I'm dithering about buying a sim free version partly to replace my current phone (Sony Ericsson 800i, which I love to bits) and partly as an alternative to TT5 on a PDA.

Mike - hear what you say about the Artemis, and when I get round to replacing my trusty 2210's, then that'll be a strong contender. But at the end of the day, it's a PDA first in form at least and a phone second. What I'm looking for is a phone that has decent satnav, and the Navigator seems to fit the bill.

I like the idea that it's small, decent volume, sensible voice instruction (not sure I could see the screen whilst driving!) and with apparently good routing software (which I'd like to try out as an alternative to TT). It's just that there's some contradictory experiences of the 6110 on the net, and I'd like to hear from folks on this forum - so thanks, G - before I committ. Is the phone any good - audible? No lag between dialling and connecting, or pressing the Receive button and hearing a voice? Any other issues?

Here's an offer - if I get one, then I'll use it for a while and then write a review!

Thanks for the input - anyone else got a view?
richandtina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Nokia 6110 Navigator Reply with quote

The 6110 is a great phone & the screen can be seen clearly in the car. Voices are very loud. GPS fix is very quick.

My only problem so far is getting the damn thing to avoid toll roads. I don't know what the software classes as a toll road. I have mine set to avoid them (being a tight Yorkshireman). So far I have been routed over the humber bridge, on the M6 toll road & into the congestion charge zone in London. It could at least warn you like Tomtom does to give you the option of changing the route

It is very good for finding your way if you are walking though.
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks richandtina for the input.

Not really bothered about toll roads - the M6 toll is cheap enough and a good deal (plus no speed cams heh heh heh Very Happy ), the Humber Bridge I'd be happy to pay for just for the experience, and I don't drive into London.

Think I've pretty much decided to go for this, if only to experience Route 66 and satnav on a phone. Really looking forward to it, but will wait until I'm back from leave at the end of Sep. Thanks to all for your input, I do appreciate it. Might even write a review....... Thumbs Up

astro
peter9000uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post on here so please be gentle, I am also totally new to the Sat Nav world and am finding all these terms you guys use somewhat confusing! Anyway to the reason for my post

I have been living with a 6110 Navigator for around a week now and must say I have been impressed. It has succesfully navigated me to work and home again! A few points they may be of interest

1. It will not get a satellite lock indoors, not really a problem but would be handy for preplanning routes before you go to the car

2. The battery life when using the Sat Nav function is awful, probably around 2 hours so will have to remain plugged in whilst driving

3. It can be used as just a sat nav, there is no need to install a sim card

4. As this is my first sat nav unit I was a little anxious but I have found it very easy to use and once you have a sat lock it calculates the route to destination very quickly

5. The voice is very loud!

6. Difficult to say as I have no other benchmark but I feel it is a little slow when you first turn it on getting a lock, probably 2-3 mins.

7. Very quick at recalculating reroutes if you stray off you instructed route (done on purpose to see what happened!)

8. According to the paperwork I can download speed cameras for an extra fee, haven't got round to it yet but no doubt will.

9. No doubt more will become apparent as I use it but some of the POI's are rather out of date. For instance there is apparently a Murco garage 0.4 miles from my house which I couldn't for the life of me remember. I selected it to bring its location up on a map (nice touch) and all of a sudden I knew it..... It was knocked down 6 years ago! Not really a fault of the unit more of a software issue I realise.

10. First real gripe, no cradle or in car charger with the package. I know they are available from Nokia but as it's intended to be car based it wouldn't have hurt to include these in the package. Did however get Route 66 DVD and USB lead.

Hope the above is of some help
Pete
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete

Thanks for the info.

Shame about the inability to be able to preplan routes - that's a really useful piece of functionality I get with TT5, but maybe it'll get a lock - or at least enough of a lock - for me to preplan from "almost" outside.

Time to First Fix seems variable - you expect it to take a while on the very first fix you do, but to get better thereafter. Having said that, the BT338 I use with TT5 can sometimes take a while, especially if I haven't used it for a few weeks.

I wouldn't expect the battery life to be any better than that. About the same as with the iPaq.

On the whole, you've confirmed my determination to go ahead and buy this - will let all know how I get on in due course.

Cheers

Postscript - and welcome to the Forums, btw!
peter9000uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate, I will post another update tomorrow as I am giving using it for its first real test tonight travelling from Heathrow to a house just outside Salisbury that I've never been to before. Only real played with it until now on routes/journeys I already know. First time it took me on some odd routes until I found the "navigate to" setting was set to shortest route instead of quickest. The menus are very straightforward for a novice to use. I have been busy setting up out of the way places I go fishing as landmarks on the memory. Nice touch as you can set them from the GPS position rather than needing an address or post code. A touchscreen would be nice but you can't really expect that with such a small screen, which BTW is very clear and has the facility to zoom in. I haven't got a holder for the dash as yet and have been mostly relying on the voice commands which have been pretty good and just glancing at the screen to confirm what I thought they meant.
sidtheparrot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just upgraded to one of these little beauties and I must say I'm very impressed.
The mapping doesn't seem to be as up to date as the 6.75 tomtom maps, but the voice prompts and interface are quite good.
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any software that would let you use the internal GPS of the 6110 as a Bluetooth GPS, so I can leave my Bluetooth GPS at home when using the larger screen of my Nokia E61.
Off topic again, but has anyone tried tomtom on the 6110. I used my last activation on this device (6110) and it works great, the only problem being a slight but annoying part repeated word after each voice prompt.

Cheers

Chris
Rami
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. Bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and would have to say it's the best phone I have every had.
Mine came with the nokia car holder which I would recommend if you are planning on using it in the car although the voice directions are loud enough that I have used it simply lying in the console.
The last week I have been listening to podcasts on the way to and from work , the media player/music library works really well.

Anyway, on to the navigation software...
mikealder wrote:
IIRC you cannot use speed camera warnings on the software running on the Nokia OS though - Mike

I have loaded all speed camera locations for my state (NSW, Australia) into the software as landmarks and have a soundfile alarm play when I get close to them. I used instructions from this site: http://danielkwood.googlepages.com/convertingtolmxfiles
He had camera files already in the right format but there is a link there to poiedit software which might work for you.

peter9000uk wrote:

1. It will not get a satellite lock indoors, not really a problem but would be handy for preplanning routes before you go to the car

6. Difficult to say as I have no other benchmark but I feel it is a little slow when you first turn it on getting a lock, probably 2-3 mins.

That's just GPS recievers for you. They need to lock on to at least 3 satellites to get a location and line-of-site works best. If it has been a long time since last fix or if you have moved a long distance from last fix it will take longer as well. You can get a lock inside near windows or from reflected signals from buildings etc but the accuracy will suffer and it takes longer. If you are just wanting to play around you might find if you take it outside to get a fix it might be able to maintain it when you do take it inside. Some mobile phone carriers support Assisted-GPS for this phone. This is sending location data to the phone through the network (WAAS in the USA has a similar purpose) to get a quicker more accurate location. You will be charged by your carrier for this though.

Also to astrocompass, you can preplan a route. In the navigator software select options - trips - plan new route. You select a departure and destination and can "simulate route" to run it through with voice command and all. Handy to test your speedcamera landmarks once you get them loaded.

peter9000uk wrote:

2. The battery life when using the Sat Nav function is awful, probably around 2 hours so will have to remain plugged in whilst driving

Battery life is the complaint I have seen most for the 6110. I think it can be attributed to two things. (Or three if I count ignorance Razz Not aimed at you Peter, just been browsing some other forums.) The default setting for the Navigator is for the backlight to be always on.
Owners are excited with their nifty new toy (I know I am!) and want to use the cool GPS feature. The large backlit screen chews through the power and sucks the battery dry quick-smart because they don't have a car charger! Options are switch off the backlight or select only during instructions. Or get a car charger! Options - settings - general - backlight.

Secondly, the 6110 can multitask. Sometimes it's possible to inadvertantly leave a program running in the background when you switch to something else. If this happens to be the navigator program the gps will still be running also. Hold the menu button down and if anything is listed apart from Standby, select and close it.

Lastly, the Route 66 maps for my area are quite good. There has been a couple of times it's told me to turn right at a no right turn and down a now closed off street. I have been giving feedback to Navteq so they can improve future maps. Navteq Map Reporter
Hope this has been of help.
Matchstick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any software that would let you use the internal GPS of the 6110 as a Bluetooth GPS, so I can leave my Bluetooth GPS at home when using the larger screen of my Nokia E61.

The latest version of Navicore aparently now supports the internal GPS in the 6110, E90 & N95 though I've only personally tried it on the E90 (where it seems to work fine).

http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer/NewsEvents/news/en_GB/2007-4_announce/

The latest versions of Viewranger support nokia internal GPS as well if you have any hankering after topographical maps.

http://www.viewranger.co.uk/support.htm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: