Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC aerial connection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC aerial connection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DukeDesmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: TMC aerial connection Reply with quote

I've got a Garmin nuvi 670 with GTM21 TMC receiver. I have installed the nuvi into the lower part of the dash so that it looks neat but the TMC aerial is not good, have received a couple of traffic updates but not much so I've bought a Navilock Din antenna adaptor; http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/671
which takes an aerial feed from the car aerial. It has a small stereo type plug on the lead to plug into a TMC receiver, however my TMC receiver only has a wire exiting from it to use as an aerial.

Am I correct in thinking that I can cut off the plug and solder the wire to the aerial wire? is it only a single core wire?

Any advice welcome. Smile
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

the small black plastic end on the wire will pull off with gentle force (keep it in case you need to replace it to get the unit fixed under warranty!)

You can then strip the cable back as far as you need and away you go.

I have a similar set up (nuvi 660 + GTM21) and find that to get good reception you need to have the power lead plugged into the car power. This will be to get an earth/ground connection made I guess.
DukeDesmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I have fitted a plug to the Garmin lead - after reading some other posts I have connected to the tip of the connector (2.5mm stereo jack headphone style plug) but it doesn't seem to have made any difference to reception.

Do you know which connector(s) in the lead is used for the aerial signal, the base section of the plug goes to ground (the outer 'ring' of the din aerial plug) but not sure which goes to the centre core of aerial cable as it doesn't flash through with a meter (presumably only works when powered/connected)?

I suppose I could cut off the plug to see where it connects to and then replace it but was hoping for a quick fix.

I am using the car power.

Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't give a reading with the meter as there will be a capacitor in line with the center aerial feed, this is fitted to block any DC voltage that might be sent up the aerial cable to a mast head amplifier.

If you are sure of the screen connection being correct I would try connecting the center aerial wire to both the remaining contacts - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did mine I simply stripped about 2 inches from the end of the GARMIN aerial cable and wrapped this around the centre pin of the ISO Y cable splitter I had bought - it worked immediately and I haven't got around to replacing it with a plug/socket arrangement yet - perhaps when I get really bored!

Check the signal levels without any connection to the aerial and then with - you need to get to the 'hidden' pages on the nuvi to do this (see other threads for how to do this and what NOT to do when you get into them.)

Mike is correct about the capacitor - always catches you out the first time you try this sort of thing.

Does your car have an in-built aerial amplfier? Quite a few with the 'bee-sting' roof aerials do - this will give you good reception for TMC - otherwise you should see an improvement - but at the cost of slightly worse 'at the margins' FM radio reception.
DukeDesmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've now connected the aerial to both the centre and tip connector of the plug (shielding goes to base connector) and I can't say I've noticed any difference but how many traffic alerts are there to notice? (did get one today, about slow traffic ahead).

My car (Audi A3) has a rear window aerial, which I presume is amplified - there are 2 aerial connectors on the radio; 1 Din and 1 smaller, thinner squarish connector - the radio will work without the smaller one connected but not if the din plug is out? Radio reception appears unaffected.

In the nuvi settings menu there is a traffic section but it says that I am not yet subscribed and that it will automatically subscribe when the unit receives a traffic alert whilst receiving sattelite info - but I have had a few traffic alerts even when the GTM21 cable was behind the dash and not connected to the plug. is this something different?

How do I get into the hidden signal level page as that would be very useful?

Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your e-mail as I have sent you the POI file that contains the transmitter locations and a user guide on how to use it - that also details how to get at the hidden menu - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DukeDesmo wrote:

My car (Audi A3) has a rear window aerial, which I presume is amplified - there are 2 aerial connectors on the radio; 1 Din and 1 smaller, thinner squarish connector - the radio will work without the smaller one connected but not if the din plug is out? Radio reception appears unaffected.

Do you mean built into the rear window (as in heater) or a rear roof mount? I will have to look at an A3 a bit more carefully. My VWs (GOLFs, PASSATs and BORA over the many years) all had active amplified rear roof aerials - I would have expected similar for the A3.

Does your radio have DAB capability - can't explain two aerial connectors otherwise - especially if they both have cables plugged in.

You will get pop-up notification of delays on the map screen only when they are on a route that you have active. Otherwise, from the main screen, there will be a blue icon showing when messages are being received. Touching this should bring up a large scale map with warning icons on. You should be able to get further details about the delays from this screen. Getting icons (red warning triangles) means you are receiving TMC data and your licence should be activated.
DukeDesmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:

Do you mean built into the rear window (as in heater)

Yes heater elements, no external antenna
philpugh wrote:

Does your radio have DAB capability - can't explain two aerial connectors otherwise - especially if they both have cables plugged in.

No DAB, can't understand it either but the small square one doesn't appear to do anything? at least it doesn't noticeably affect reception if not plugged in.

philpugh wrote:

You will get pop-up notification of delays on the map screen only when they are on a route that you have active. Otherwise, from the main screen, there will be a blue icon showing when messages are being received. Touching this should bring up a large scale map with warning icons on. You should be able to get further details about the delays from this screen. Getting icons (red warning triangles) means you are receiving TMC data and your licence should be activated.

The pop-ups work as does a general Blue warning, one warning was even voice announced as 'traffic alert' but the licence is still not activated?

Question
Vaneo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Re the posts by DukeDesmo and philpugh

I presume the "small" connector was a FAKRA.
My daughters 2005 Peugeot 307cc radio/CD head unit only has one as the aerial connector.

Does anyone know the reasons for the change and the advantages over ISO and DIN.
Size and positive retention must be good on the production line.

FARKA users are ok with this :- http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/540

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaneo wrote:

Does anyone know the reasons for the change and the advantages over ISO and DIN.
Size and positive retention must be good on the production line.

Pure guess - but I would suspect positive retention mechanism is very high on the list
DukeDesmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Check your e-mail as I have sent you the POI file that contains the transmitter locations and a user guide on how to use it - that also details how to get at the hidden menu - Mike

Thanks for this, however the menu options are different on mine and I can't get the hidden menu, that way.

Any ideas?

Smile
Wiglet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DukeDesmo wrote:
Well I've now connected the aerial to both the centre and tip connector of the plug (shielding goes to base connector) and I can't say I've noticed any difference but how many traffic alerts are there to notice? (did get one today, about slow traffic ahead).

In the nuvi settings menu there is a traffic section but it says that I am not yet subscribed and that it will automatically subscribe when the unit receives a traffic alert whilst receiving sattelite info - but I have had a few traffic alerts even when the GTM21 cable was behind the dash and not connected to the plug. is this something different?

How do I get into the hidden signal level page as that would be very useful?

Smile

I to have tried connecting the GTM-21 aerial to the car radio aerials in my volvo V70. The V70 has two aerials, one in the rear bumper and the other in a rear side window. On the face of it I have seen no improvement over the "GTM wire". On the drive way the string locks onto CH145 located about 20 miles away with signal strength 18 with the the car aerial it increases to 22 but still no data.
I also regretably fitted an amplified Shark fin, this again gives signal strength 22 however I need to run coax from the back of the car which
massively attenuates the signal and appears to cause other "errors".

Interestingly I've cut the GTM aerial down to one inch long (enough for a plug) . Now if I connect this direct to any of the car aerials ie. with minimal or no coax, signal strength is pushing 30 and no errors but still no traffic until signal strength hits mid 30's

Has anyone else attempted this mod with the Volvo diversity setup or got any other ideas?

Another interesting observation is take the nuvi and GTM indoors it locks onto CH145 with signal strength 21 and get loads and loads of traffic data!
How annoying is that?

Last edited by Wiglet on Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At home (2 miles south of Jn 10 M56) I get about 27-30 in-car for channel 145 (Galaxy FM) and I am a little further away than you. I get a lock with the car parked in an old 'tin' barn. Before the connection to the aerial I was only getting 15-20 and failed to get any TMC data until I got to Jn 6 M56 or closer.

As you can get it working in your home it would suggest that there is something else going on here. It could be that you are getting electrical interference on the aerial lead. This would have adverse effects on the ability to decode the TMC info at low signal levels.

With the Volvo diversity aerial. Do the two aerials feed the radio separately (i.e. a 'special' Volvo unit) or do they go into a 'box', presenting one aerial feed to the radio? I was wondering if you can connect directly to one of the aerials and disconnect it from the diversity system entirely.
DukeDesmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my radio has 2 aerial plugs (1 Din , 1 Fakra) is this because it uses 2 aerials? (I thought it was just the rear screen - there is no visible aerial).
I get no noticable improvement in TMC reception whilst connected to the din plug, would it be better on the fakra? I'd rather not buy another cable just to try but I don't mind if I know it will work. I suppose I could buy some Din-Fakra converters to try it that way but they would likely cost as much as the Fakra splitter cable.

Any ideas?

Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: