Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hi newbie needs help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi newbie needs help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toytown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ,

Just to say i've figured out how to load the maps but it will only load the folders onto the pda and not the files themselves. I have contacted the people i have bought it off to see if they can sort it out.

Thanks for all your help Darren and anyone else that had an input. I'm sorry i'm just not too up on the subject yet.

Tony
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toytown,

They are refering to windows explorer on your pc -- or whatever file manager you use :

However I think what is happenign is you are tryign to install teh maps to the default location on your pda - you should select the option in tomtom2 which states storage card ie\cf card (after you've selected install to pda).

However, if you wish to install them to the pc select pc (the bottom option"folder on pc" it will then allow you to browse for a folder on your host pc.

You then exit tom tom installation and open the file manger that came with your pc (normally windows explorer but if you don't know what this is clcik on my computer on your desktop)

Find the folder in whcih the new maps have been created copy the whole
'Great_Britain Navigator Map' folder (select it with the mouse right click and select copy)

Then look for an icon in my computer labbeled mobile device - click on this (with your pda in the sync cradle

Then click on my pocket pc

You should see a folder labelled cf card - select this and paste the 'Great_Britain Navigator Map' folder into this folder.

Opening tomtom should now find the map.

Hope this helps.

DinAlt
toytown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DinAlt,

Thanks for the info, i have done that and this is the error message i get everytime i try to copy the files, any ideas.

Thanks Tony

Cannot copy great britain, access denied.

Make sure your mobile device has sufficient memory, and the file is not set as read only, and that you have permission to copy the file type.
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Toytown,

Ok, I've just reread the whole thread - I can see three things that might be wrong.

1. The SD card is faulty - you can check this by transferring a couple of files to and from it via My computer

2. The files have copied themselves from your cd as read only (on the cd they're marked as read only (since you can't actually write to a "finished CD" - if this is so you can reset the properties of the files by right clicking and selecting properties - I don't think this is the problem though

3. I was telling you to copy the files to a compact flash card in my previous post - you need to copy them to your SD card (this might show as SD - I haven't got one in my pda so I'm not sure - but it'll probably be pretty obvious).

4. Just as a thought when you do find the sd card make sure it's not full and if it comes with one the write tab is off (I believe some SD cards have a tab / switch to protect the contents from being overwritten).

Hope this helps Smile

DinAlt
toytown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,
I have just tried to send a picture to the pda and it worked.

I have re-installed tom tom and that went okay, but when i tried to copy the maps it only sent the folder and then stopped installing. The folder has arrived on my storage card but there is no files in it.
Before i re-installed i tried to copy maps off computer but as soon as it started to transfer files it came up with an error message "Drive cannot find sector requested".

Thanks Tony
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,
this is starting to sound more and more like a faulty SD card to me - I'm guessing that one or more portions of it are faulty - I'd contact your supplier and try and get an exchange sorted out.

One last check you can make is to to try and copy a very large file to the sd card from your pc - see if this stalls - try and get a big a file as you can find which is smaller than the storage capacity of the card.

BTW you are leaving the pda in the synch cradle throughtout the transfer I take it - (96 meg the size of the gb file takes several minutes using the cradle).

Also i suppose you could try one of the smaller maps segments just to try and get tomtom working...

DinAlt
toytown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again,

Tried to load a 99mb file onto card and the same error message has come up so i suppose there might be something wrong with the card.

I'll phone up the vendor and see what they say.

Thanks for all the help, i'll let you know what they say.

Once again, thanks for all the help, i dont know what i would of done if i had not found this site, it is a credit to all who run it.

Regards Tony
toytown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

Just wanted to say a proper thank you for all the help you have given me, it has been invaluable. Smile

I recieved a walk through from the company that sold us the sat nav, and it said when i install tom tom a box will open and ask if you want the default directory, click no, and a drop down box will open, choose storage card.

I did this and it said the card is unavailable, the slider on the side of the card was in the position to input data so it was not that. The people i bought it off are going to phone me later on. Lets see what happens next. Laughing

Thanks again
Tony
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your supplier let us know how you get on Smile

DinAlt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: