Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - myguide 3100 speed camera warning?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

myguide 3100 speed camera warning?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roo-uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the feedback that im getting from other 3100 users it would appear that there is something wrong with the camera data base!

Whats the use is it installing a data base that only warns you on some of the cameras?

Does anyone with a 3100 have the current data base installed & have it working on the bulk of cameras including mobile?

Its no good thinking "it didnt warn me of that camera i must have been under the speed limit".
After all how many cameras has it missed i mean come on you cant always see a mobile unit especially when its not there on the day you go past its location.
Sad Question
Sphinx-BMW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran a test today.

I manually added 3 cameras a strech of a dual carrage way near me.

1 at 30mph
1 at 40mph
1 at 50mph

I drove down at 30 and it warned me of all 3. (alert and countdown alarm).

This proves that the it doesn't matter what speed you are doing - it does flag them up.

If you manually install a camera on the database it works fine.

If you download the one of here, it shows them on the map, but doesn't pickup gatso's.

However it did pickup the mobile sites for me. (using single file - all cameras)

This tells me that the database on here is wrong and needs to be modified.
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: myguide 3100 speed camera warning? Reply with quote

I have to say that the PGPSW speedcams database is second to none and comes highly recommended by a lot of GPS unit retailers / sat nav reviewers etc.
Also the speedcams alert works for most, if not about 90% of GPS device owners using/ posting on this site.
One unit that has dominated this forum the most in the last week has been Myguide 3100 users of which I am one. The issue has been speed camera warnings or the lack of them.

This then says to me that if other device owners are having no problems with the speedcams database / alerts, the fault must be with the Myguide device.

If it was the database, everyone be it tomtom / garmin / medion owners would be moaning. Truth be known they are not.

Also it is only the myguide device that does not differentiate between types of cameras. They all appear the same.
This I think might be one of the reasons that the device alerts users of one camera type.

So lets not be ungrateful to the site that provides us with this database for £2.00 or £19.00 a year.
roo-uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not trying to say that the database isnt any good however if it doesnt work correctly on the myguide then why is it listed here?

The myguide has the facility to give speed camera alerts so why isnt it working correctly on the myguide?

Im just looking for the answer as to why so many people are having problems with this facility; if you look at the qulaity of the people on this forum surely this can be fixed?

Im no idiot when it comes to computers just sat nav units. Very Happy
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: myguide 3100 speed camera warning? Reply with quote

I will be suprised if this issue is resolved in this forum as it appears to be one of the devices that the satnav experts are least familiar with. I have been trying to contact myguide support for some clarification. They have not responded at all. To be expected, as reviews I have read on other sites has warned about nil customer service support.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sphinx-BMW wrote:
Ran a test today.

1 at 30mph
1 at 40mph
1 at 50mph

This proves that the it doesn't matter what speed you are doing - it does flag them up.

If you download the one of here, it shows them on the map, but doesn't pickup gatso's.

However it did pickup the mobile sites for me. (using single file - all cameras)

Can I suggest that you copy the file with your manual additions and send it to MaFt. He can then compare it with the download. If they are different, he MAY be able to produce a specific download for the device. Bear in mind that without having a device to play with the Team are dependant on the users of a new (or previously unsupported) device to help! In most cases, the documentation leaves a LOT to be desired!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: myguide 3100 speed camera warning? Reply with quote

I am convinced that this must be a myguide compatability problem. I decided to program 3 fictitious speedcam location on my device dotted around where I live and it gave me alerts every time 1 approached at 1mph over the speed limit. Gives you a visual warning and then an audible warning until you have driven past the camera.

I then decided to drive into town to where there were 2 gatso cameras. i drove along that stretch of road 4 times [ to & fro]. The speed limit was 40mph. One camera did not alert me at all even though I was slightly over the limit. The other one gave me a visual, followed by an audible warning first time I drove past it. Hoping it was not a fluke, I drove past it 3 more times and it did not alert me at all.

The inconsistency in providing alerts makes me believe it is a myguide compatibility issue. Also to note, myguide visual warnings are different from those given by PGPSW speedcams.

Lastly, I was returning from chelmsford this afternoon and drove past a redlight, doubling up as a speedcamera. The speed limit was 50mph but the teleatlas maps on the myguide device had the road down as having a 30mph speed limit. On a stretch of road that the map had down as 30mph, it did not alert me until I was at almost 50mph. It only alerts when you are considereably over.

I do not think it should take that long........software
Sphinx-BMW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
Sphinx-BMW wrote:
Ran a test today.

1 at 30mph
1 at 40mph
1 at 50mph

Can I suggest that you copy the file with your manual additions and send it to MaFt. He can then compare it with the download. If they are different, he MAY be able to produce a specific download for the device. Bear in mind that without having a device to play with the Team are dependant on the users of a new (or previously unsupported) device to help! In most cases, the documentation leaves a LOT to be desired!

I believe the manual additions are stored directly into the database. Unless he has some sort of software to decrypt it - it wont be of any use.

As mentioned above MyGuide Support are completely useless. When you ring them it always goes into answer machine, and they do not call you back.

It is a real shame, as I found that the sat nav features are excellent.

I also agree with that is a compatibility issue. The software installed on mine was iGO - and I downloaded the iGO database and tried that, but had the same problem.

either its a software glitch on the unit, as it does import the cameras successfully onto the map, but it doesn't flag them up or the database requies extra field's for my guide support.

I dont think this issue will be easily be resolved.
Sphinx-BMW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: myguide 3100 speed camera warning? Reply with quote

Buffdaddy wrote:

If it was the database, everyone be it tomtom / garmin / medion owners would be moaning. Truth be known they are not

TomTom uses a different type of file format for Speed Cameras.

Although the co-ordinates will be the same, the rest of the layout will different for importing.

On the TomTom you have manually enable the POI (Speed camera) for evey speed limit (i.e. 30mph, 40 etc..)

I think the same applies here to certain extent.

I reckon there has be an extra flag in the database, to enable alerts for the new cameras added.

Confused
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look like there is any difference in the Myguide and iGo speed cam databases. I just did a quick check and the text files are the same.

First 2 lines of Myguide.
X,Y,Type,Speed,DirType,Direction

First 2 line iGo.
X,Y,Type,Speed,DirType,Direction

And so it goes on, line after line. Works fine on my Mio P350 with the PGPSW iGo database, so the database is, as I expected, fine.

There is a difference with where you put the speedcamtxt file in Mio or iGO.

In Mio it goes in the POI folder. iGO has another folder inside the POI one, speedcams, and the txt file goes in there.

Experiment with both, as Myguide may use one or the other.
hyper34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: my gide Reply with quote

hi i have got the camars working but have no vice on the warning just the pop up camar and a bep is this right or should i get a voice
Buffdaddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: myguide Reply with quote

you get no voice with myguide, just a visual on your screen and a beeping sound.
hyper34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: my gide Reply with quote

thanks
paulburrows
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I might have solved this one, after much irritation with the otherwise superb Myguide 3100!

After approaching a speed cam going round a bend I got a warning pop up and audible alert for a second or two, but once going straight again, it stopped.

It seems to me that the direction info which is present in the database for some cameras is perhaps not as accurate as it could be, and for others is not present at all.

If you look at the txt file the last two fields are the ones causing the problem:

DirType:

1 = the camera gets you in one direction only
2 = it gets you in both directions
[empty] = gets you in all directions

Direction:

If 1 or 2 applies above, it looks in this field for the bearing, e.g. 0/90/180/270 for N/E/S/W etc.

By changing the data in the 'dir type' field to [blank] where no direction exists is one way to solve it, the other is to remove the data from both fields, so that all cameras are set to get you in all directions.

By importing the file into excel or openoffice calc (as a comma delimited text file), deleting the data in the last two columns, saving it as a text file and uploading again - it seems to work every time! Just tried it out and cameras which I didn't get a warning for are now popping up every time.

Make sure that the lat/long positions in the first two columns are not being rounded to two decimal places as openoffice seemed to do - else cameras appear out of position on the map!

To upload the database to the unit I find that it is necessary to exit the Myguide software (exit button, bottom right hand side of main menu) delete ALL files from the mygiude/poi/speedcam folder (using activesync), upload the new txt and bmp files and press reset on the back of the unit.

If others find that this works I am sure it will be an easy change for pgpsw to make to the database for Myguide users.

Last edited by paulburrows on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
roo-uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a similar thing happen to me; when i pass a camera it doesnt do anything then when I turn off onto a side street it warns me?

So possibly it is down to direction i will change the direction on three cameras that im having problems with & see what the result is; i will post my findings later.

I have manually added cameras & they work ok so i know its not a faulty sat nav unit.

If this is the case can the database be altered here so that all you need to do is download it and install?

My first months subscription runs out in 2 days & i am not going 2 renew it unless we can find a fix for this problem.

thanx for all of the replies on this topic Laughing Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: