Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should we always drive with headlights on?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should we always drive with headlights on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we always drive with headlights on?
Yes
32%
 32%  [ 16 ]
No
68%
 68%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 50

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the exact contents of the discussion where this subject was raised.

Personally, I find auto headlights more of a distraction then having a car/bus/lorry behind with headlights on constantly.

It's interesting seeing some comments so far:

a trucker who thinks it's a good idea - but only for trucks in built-up areas

a biker - but only for bikes

..and a few mixed responses

Lost_Property wrote:
the bus company in North Kent adopted the idea of dipped lights at all times

This is interesting because my local bus company (First) also suddenly introduced a dipped headlights policy - I wonder if this is some kind of nationwide policy

I pass the local bus depot and bus headlights in my mirros(s) don't seem to bother me that much.

A few more votes and comments would be interesting to see...

...I'm waiting to see what DennisN or 999Tommo may have to say about this becuase I'm not sure which side of fence these guys might be sitting on
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:

The poll is about 50-50 at present, it would be interesting to see the different voting pattern between male and female, different age groups and length of time driving.

Male.
58 years young.
Driving for aprox 38 years.
Always been high mileage, must be well over a million miles.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS

I said yes to lights.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ovlov has Auto headlights but they only bring on the Dim Dip setting for the headlights when the ambient lighting levels falls to a pre-assigned level.

I will always switch on dipped headlights when the conditions deteriorate to a point where I feel they are needed; this is irrespective of the location, road, speed or time of day.

Fogs (Front and rear) are only ever employed when the conditions dictate they should be used. This is one thing that is often overlooked the idiots driving with them on when they shouldn't be or worse still (in my opinion) not used when they should be.
The Police should take a much stronger line with drivers who break the law through improper use of vehicle lighting, only yesterday a marked up Police vehicle passed me with rear fogs switched on - it was early morning and sunny, so even they cannot set a standard to aim for - Mike
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted earleier but someone move this thread and lost my responce. Evil or Very Mad

I am for this as I have been driving with my lights on during the day for a few years now, and mainly for the reasons that Gps-Fan pointed out. I don't do it for the benifit of others but for my benifit. That one day will be a hot sun drenched day on a tree lined road where an oncoming over taking car can't see ME. When you are driving in these conditions it is suprising how little you can see in the shadows, and what a difference it makes when you use your lights. If you don't drive with your lights on during the day, at least consider it on tree lined roads, as it could save your life.

Some of you may have noticed that new cars have to be made now with Day Time Runnig Lights/LEDs which don't run the tail lights. They are normally a little dimmer than normal head lights and I think you can turn them off if you want??

Providing that the lights are not too bright I can't see the problem, and as the point is the subtle flash of headlight to catch your attention I doubt you could ever 'get accustomed to it'. As for this should only be for bikes suggestion, if you are riding and filtering where appropriate, and not slicing through every concevable gap then there isn't an issue about having your light on or not. As most accident after rear enders, are people pulling out on cars, bikes, vans, and lorries then a lighting policy should apply to all vehicles.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is interesting because my local bus company (First) also suddenly introduced a dipped headlights policy - I wonder if this is some kind of nationwide policy
Maybe a policy with the larger companies e.g. Arriva in my area but the other smaller operators and the large King's Ferry Coaches here don't.

You'll notice I said earlier it would be interesting to see a poll which included length of time driving. I said this because when I started driving and lived in London, it was the norm to drive around town on side lights, whcih were quite dim compared to todays lighting. I realise there was less traffic then but if you think about it, it would be less dangerous now as the speeds are much slower than then, what used to be a 5 or 6 minute run from the Elephant and Castle to Greenwich park would probably take nearer 20 minutes or more now.

I remember when compulsory use of dipped lights came into force, many drivers didn't like all the extra glare but over time became used to it. I suppose the same would happen with daylight dipped headlights. Maybe if 'dim dipped' was fitted to vehicles for daylight use it would be more acceptable. I wonder if it would be a £60 fine and 3 points for those who forgot to switch on during the day. Probably!

My thoughts are it's not about road safety, if the 'powers that be' were really interested in road safety, they would get rid of 'man made' chicans and 'slow bumps', many of which are hard to see if the sun is in your eyes and which daytime dipped headlights would be of no use whatsoever. I haven't managed to hit the kerb of a chicane (yet) but I've seen others do it and it does the tyre, rim and suspension no good. Oh no, I can feel yet another £60 fine and 3 points coming for driving into the sun.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
I posted earleier but someone move this thread and lost my responce. Evil or Very Mad

Has it moved?? I thought it had always been in the "Lost Satellite" section
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Has it moved?? I thought it had always been in the "Lost Satellite" section

Well somthing happened! I wrote it, I previewed it, I submitted it, I checked it, I lost it? Wink

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should have had my lights on. Idea

GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
....................Fogs (Front and rear) are only ever employed when the conditions dictate they should be used. This is one thing that is often overlooked the idiots driving with them on when they shouldn't be or worse still (in my opinion) not used when they should be.
The Police should take a much stronger line with drivers who break the law through improper use of vehicle lighting, only yesterday a marked up Police vehicle passed me with rear fogs switched on - it was early morning and sunny, so even they cannot set a standard to aim for - Mike

If more countries took up the use of lights as in Scandinavia, i would have thought that car manufacturers would put more advances into lighting.

I would have thought that technology today could very easily improve on car lighting to identify whether it is foggy or not and work the lights to adjust to the conditions.

Except for Halogen, car lighting doesn't seem to have advanced a lot over the years, even to sticking silly bits of card and plastic to the lens when changing from right to left hand driving in Europe, which never seems to be that accurate. Some drivers have to drive to Europe and back every week.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Male.
58 years young.
Driving for aprox 38 years.
Always been high mileage, must be well over a million miles.

Male
64 years not quite as young
Driving for 47 years
Average 10000 per year
+ approx 240000 miles bus driving.

I said No (but could change my mind)

That makes it 50-50 for males over 50. Very Happy

Quote:
must be well over a million miles

Out of interest, how many of your daylight miles have you used dipped headlights and how many accidents with and without? You may just swing me to a possible yes.

Quote:
I will always switch on dipped headlights when the conditions deteriorate to a point where I feel they are needed; this is irrespective of the location, road, speed or time of day.

Fogs (Front and rear) are only ever employed when the conditions dictate they should be used. This is one thing that is often overlooked the idiots driving with them on when they shouldn't be or worse still (in my opinion) not used when they should be.
The Police should take a much stronger line with drivers who break the law through improper use of vehicle lighting,

Couldn't agree more.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
Except for Halogen, car lighting doesn't seem to have advanced a lot over the years, even to sticking silly bits of card and plastic to the lens when changing from right to left hand driving in Europe, which never seems to be that accurate. Some drivers have to drive to Europe and back every week.

[Rant on] on my second audi they implemented a switching system into the elliptical headlights to convert to continental driving. Mavelous I thought, which was one reason I went for audi number three.
So they have now dropped the switching system and gone for clear plastic diffusers to put on the lights, these are so bad I complaind to audi with no responce. However, as it is a nessesity the relitive £12 was not too painful, that is untill I went to buy another set! £45 - Ouch. And as you're not supposed to use the silly black stickers on elliptical headlights, I now am mothing the aging originals. [Rant off]

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero accidents with or without so I guess that won't change your mind much Wink I did vote NO as compulsory use of lights all the time would not be a good idea IMHO, they should only be used when needed, or in the case of motorbikes if the driver feels the need to use them for their own safety - Mike
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
...mothering the ageing originals.

ARRGGGHHHH. Damn this evil Keyboard! Evil or Very Mad

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
approx 240000 miles bus driving

aahh, so you are (or have been) a bus driver perhaps?

Does your bus company have a policy on dipped headlights during the day?

What is your company's policy on a driver making stops, where there is no designated bus stop, to allow passengers on or off or even sit for several minutes chatting to a passenger they're dropping off holding up all the other traffic, but not at a designated bus stop?

....most bus drivers are OK - just the odd one, like everything else, and I have to pass the local bus depot (usually around shift change time)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: