Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW: TomTom One 3rd Edition, out soon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW: TomTom One 3rd Edition, out soon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gromit62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhyslewis13 wrote:
Im working wednesday so ill try and get a few photos.

Yes please

Thank you
tscavetti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: I have the 3rd Edition Reply with quote

I walked into Walmart yesterday (19th) looking for a TomTom ONE. I knew nothing about the "editions" but could not find a ONE on the shelf. I asked the sales associate (who seemed very clueless, and she said they didn't have the ONE in the store....but there were a few behind the counter; she just unpacked them, and didn't know if they were for sale, or if they would ring up. I asked her to try, and it rang up at $240, so she sold it to me Smile It was later that I found out that it was a 3rd Edition.

It does not have an SD card slot, but it does have 1G of internal memory.

My dilemma? I'm not sure if I should keep this edition, or order the older edition online so I can expand the memory with a new SD card? I had originally believed it had an SD slot so I could expand, so was slightly disappointed to see it didn't. What the advantages of this new edition?
rhyslewis13
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

advantages are the latest maps, fm traffic reciever jack in the bottom and application 7 software.

If you backup the contents to your computer, you should be able to remove the data from the tom tom and install new maps for different countries in its place. You could then restore the original data when necessary.

I do however believe its a step backwards by tom tom as it does reduce the ease of expandability. Obviously, they are trying to get customers to upgrade to the one xl, if they want the SD slot.

PS halfords now have the go 520's in stock. 720's seem a bit rarer at the moment!

Rusty
customdetailers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anymore info??

Graham
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty reckons it's a bacwards step to not have the SD slot so I will appreciate further comments about this both from Rusty or anyone else. I am about to buy my first sat nav so don't know much but have got TomTom One and Gamin Nuvi 200 on short list.
Garmin was winning from what others say about good customer service but there are comments about 'lag' regarding vehicle position on Nuvi which is making me consider TomTom One.
Obviously there will be some stock of units available for a period with the SD slot so anyone like me needs to make a decision soon.

So - is this mod really a backward step and a cost cutting move to make TomTom One more competitive at the lower end of the market or does it have any benefits in performance or reliability?
rhyslewis13
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i took photos but havent had time to upload so that will be done tomorrow now.

The lack of the sd card slot is a cheap shot at trying to make people upgrade to more expensive models. If you are going to use your satnav anywhere other than the region it covers when you initially purchase it, i wouldnt advise getting the new tom tom one.

The nuvi 200 is a very good unit, i have a tom tom one and a nuvi 200. The garmin aftersales support is excellent and often results in a new unit for the customer when experiencing a fault. Tom tom ask for units to be sent back for repair.

Tom tom warranty = 2 years
Garmin = 1 Year

If you know anyone that works for halfords there are some staff offers on at the mo. I had my nuvi 200 for £99.99, and they are also selling 720's to staff for £199.99 instead of £329.99.

I will add the photos 2mro.

Rusty
miatastu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a 3rd edition by accident (did not know there WAS a 3rd edition) from Walmart in Delray Beach Florida on Friday 8/17 for $250.

To me, the most important change is that the warranty is only one year, with shipping charges applicable after 180 days. The previous Tomtom One has a 2 year warranty with no mention of return shipping charges.

I returned the unit and found an "older" version at Office Depot- same price.

Other "negatives" (positives follow).

No bluetooth
No slot for the SD card.
No FM converter available at this time.
Website is not supporting this product yet (includes Tomtom HOME).
A call to customer service suggested that I return the unit and get an older version which is what I did.

Positives:
I think the 3rd edition had a sharper screen.
There was a menu option on the unit to correct errors on the maps- I stress that I don't know how or if it really works.
You could set an alarm to go off (many tones available) if you get near a school, church, and others POIs.
You could set an alarm (I did not try this) if you exceed a preset speed or the speed limit.
There were more "safety related" functions (like the alarms) available in the menus.

Other observations:
Shipped with no CD. The software is in the internal memory- at least enough to launch a download from the website.
Shipped with an adhesive "plate" (disk) to attach the suction cup to the dashboard if you don't/can't use the windshield.

The new version had enough positives going for it that I would have probably kept it had it not been for the warranty change. That and no sign of the unit on the web site angered me. Because of the large number of reconditioned ONEs being offered on Ebay and Amazon, I believe that a lot have been returned for repair- hence I wanted the 2 year warranty.

Ironically, the newer version "got it wrong" navigating to a nearby restaurant vs the older one having it correct. By "wrong" I mean it would not take me where the POI (correct address) said it was. It took me about 3 blocks away. That was the only mistake in 250 miles and 14 destinations over the weekend.

I am very pleased with the older edition, btw. Have only had it 3 days but I do use it to navigate for business.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good points to consider from Rusty and miatastu there. I think the UK regional maps are ok for me so perhaps lack of SD slot is not an issue. The Nuvi is very tempting but a lot of people say the positional accuracy is better on the TOMTOM and if you drive past the turn because the map says you haven’t got there yet is a big minus.
Miatastu mentions menu option on the unit to correct errors on the maps so is this the ‘mapshare’ feature that the TomTom site says is available on 520 and 720? This sounds a great idea if it works ok so Rusty, could you have a play with the display model and report on this feature please?
rhyslewis13
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the mapshare is the same as that one the 520 and 720. Seems good!

The screen on the old and new tom tom one is identical, you probably had different brightness settings set up.

As far as I am aware, Tom tom offer a 2 year warranty with all products sold in the EU.

Photos to follow later today!

Rusty
rhyslewis13
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK HERE ARE THE PHOTOS SORRY FOR THE WAIT!

In some of these photos a tom tom 2nd edition can be seen to compare with the new 3rd edition. the third edition is the silver one (without the sd slot).

Enjoy!
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos.

I'm off to Halfords in Bristol to see if they have the 3rd edition in stock.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks from me as well Rusty - I think the Mapshare facility has persuaded me to buy this version.
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this today.

Sounds like a backward step to me:-

http://www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/ click on the "what's the differnce"
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find! The site mentions that V2 devices will be able to download the latest maps and mapshare capabilities/software. Is this true? Do you think it will be a free upgrade?
rhyslewis13
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice find, duno how accurate it is though cos i think they both have the surfIII chipset.....

Shame about the warranty decrease if thats true....a definate backward step by tom tom.....

I believe the v7 software including mapshare will be available for the v2 shortly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: