Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Backing up help....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Backing up help....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliseMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Backing up help.... Reply with quote

Had my first PDA (ipaq 2210) for nearly a week, bought it as a NAV bundle from Holux, all working fine, no real problems so far. This is way I want it to stay....For my PC I use Norton Ghost to back my entire C:\ to another physical drive, this includes Windows & all the programs that I have intstalled, no files, no pictures, no MP3, just programs. If I have a problem I can just restore the previous backup, works perfect, quite happy with this....What I want to know is:

Is there something similar for my PDA? Bought it all preconfigured with Tomtom 2 loaded & all ready to go, evidentally the ipaq backup with revert to this spec if I need it too. I'd like to leave that the way it is. What I want to do is back the whole system up on my PC so if the ipaq has a problem I can restore knowing that I have a full working copy of everything I have/will be loading. Can this be done for the ipaq's built in memory & also from my SD card(s)? Can the 2 be done indepently & can they be done together & how :D

Dave
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your iPAQ comes with a built in back up program. It allows you to save the contents of the RAM (including all programs and the registry settings) onto a storage card. You can direct the output either to the SD card or to the CF card if you have one.

Backing up the SD card itself is not really necessary, unless you really want to be on the safe side (you could copy it's whole contents to the hard disk of your PC).

Configure your 2210 so that it does everything you want it to do, then do a backup onto the SD card. Now if you run out of battery or for whatever other reason are forced to do a hard reset, all you need to do is to restore your backup from the SD card, and you can continue to use your machine.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
EliseMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply lutz, will it only back the data up to the card though? Does it leave the programs on the iPAQ i.e Tomtom? So if I do a hard reset I will have to load Tomtom again from scratch, then restore the data which is safely on the card....

Cheers

Dave
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you can select to backup both data and programs that are in RAM.
The restore program is in the ROM, so it doesn't get lost during a hard reset.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Data Backup

help file

Quote:
About Data Backup

Data Backup is an integrated Pocket PC
program. The user can back up all data
on the Pocket PC or selectively back up
PIM (Personal Information Manager)
databases including Contacts, Calender,
Notes, Tasks, and Inbox.

Back up all data
Back up PIM databases only

I chose Back up all data to: SD Card

If I now were to have to hard reset, losing all my Sat Nav progs, would a Restore from SD card bring back my Axim to health with all my Sat Nav progs back and working? I'm worried it will only restore data but not programs.

Otherwise why would programs like Sprite Backup Premium Edition which you have to pay for be popular 3rd party applications for these kinds of restores? I'm told this Sprite will backup all of PDA data including progs to SD/CF card but also not sure about it.

Also if it is possible, is there any reason why a person shouldn't put the backup on the same SD card where the maps are stored?

Thanks if you can give guidance.
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops - I came to this thread via the search facility.

Hadn't noticed it was Pocket PC 2003 Support.

I'm on Pocket PC 2002 so perhaps there will be a difference with this backup issue?
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well being unsure if the inbuilt backup would restore progs I went for the Sprite Backup Premium Edition

Its $29.95 and you can use it for free on a 10 day trial.

Backed up my pda to sd card... and if I want to restore settings after say a hard-reset, then navigate to SD card, find the Sprite file and click, as its a self-executing file on the SD card.[/url]
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd put in another recommendation for Sprite Backup (at least unless you're using an XDA 2 - there's some issues in the current version with that device, though a fixed version should be out shortly).

You don't need Premium Edition for basic backup - unless you want the add-ons or the ability to back up to your PC.

Do make sure, though, that you create a self-executing backup file on non-volatile storage (a storage card is best), otherwise you're stuck after a hard reset. Don't write-protect the card when trying to restore the self-executing backup, otherwise it won't work.

If you have the space, it's best to use the option to rotate two backup files (I think it's under Manage Backup Files or similar), so that if one backup fails, you've still got a viable backup file still on your storage card.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: