Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x20 Wishlist, Quirks & Bugs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x20 Wishlist, Quirks & Bugs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
hindsight wrote:
TomTom have promised a fix so patience is the key. Repeatedly taking the unit back to HandTec won't solve anything.
Unfortunately, now that I've taken my new 720 out for real, I have more problems than just Home 2. But Home2 is not necessarily the fix - see other threads and posts wherein some people have perfectly working 720s and Home 2. This is very reminiscent of the x10 mounts problems last year - I had no bother, others were sent new ones.

With my new, second 720, I now have (in addition to Home2 problem)

Bluetooth phone hands free is very bad on this new device - callers can hardly hear me and are getting a serious buzzing or whining.

Text to Speech navigation instructions are terrible quality via the FM transmitter (the prerecorded nav instructions are perfect).

I'm getting bad interference on my radio (listening to MW) - I had thought that "they" were gradually degrading the signal to prepare for switch over to digital, but when I switch off the 720, reception is perfect.

I shall have to contact Handtec again - patience is not an option with a faulty device. My mobile phone is (and has been for the last 8 years) my only means of getting work and people will be reluctant to call me if every call is a serious effort - they'll simply call out somebody else instead.

Sounds like you are having very simmilar problems to to me with this replacement. Mine goes back to Handtec today.......lets just hope you dont get mine and I dont get yours in return .... Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine went back Special Delivery today. I still have the serial numbers of my two. Very Happy

My real problem now is I go away at 3am on Friday - for a replacement before then there's only Thursday left.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
hindsight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Mine went back Special Delivery today. I still have the serial numbers of my two. Very Happy

My real problem now is I go away at 3am on Friday - for a replacement before then there's only Thursday left.

Well I hope your next one's OK. Will there be a point that you give up and get something else? I notice that you have a 710 - was it a problem with that which prompted the purchase of the 720?

I'm on my second 720, but it turned out that the problem was all to do with the Bluetooth Navcore issue and not the actual device so, in fact, they were both actually fine. In retrospect I wish I'd kept the original unit now, because of all the stupid device code issues.

TomTom Go 720 and loving it with Google Earth linkup.
a4000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight wrote:

I'm on my second 720, but it turned out that the problem was all to do with the Bluetooth Navcore issue and not the actual device so, in fact, they were both actually fine.

Could you explain what you mean by the Bluetooth Navcore issue? Is this the handsfree buzzing problem? How did you resolve it?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three weeks ago I had a 700, a 710 and a 720. I was so impressed with the 720 when it came out of the box, I just knew it was the Bee's Knees. Great screen, beautiful case, etc, etc, etc. I wasn't using it with Hands free, because I had that on the 700. I was quickly getting to love it. Because work was very slow this month, I was hardly going out so I didn't use it much, or get to playing with settings, so I had no problems. Then those updates came along and ruined Home. Then I tried hands free, then music, then FM, then it all went pear shaped. That was my second which went back today - even worse.

I got the 720 because I swore I'd never buy a new one until everybody had sorted out the problems, then on 1st August I just forgot all that and received one at 8:20am 2nd August.

Having passed the 700 on to a relative, I've today been out with only ONE device on the front end and Oh Boy did I suffer withdrawal symptoms!! I had to move the 710 to centre screen, away from it's accustomed position by the pillar. So what happened? In Ottershaw I stumbled across a brand new mobile partnership van on the A319, bold as brass, but with my moved 710, I simply couldn't get my fingers in gear to record the damned thing and traffic at 5pm was so heavy I just had to go on with the flow and miss it. Any other day with three, or even just two devices, I'd have nailed it good and proper. Evil or Very Mad

I still like the 720. I still intend to keep it when it gets to be trouble free. I still intend to persevere until I get a good one. I just hope like crazy they don't bring out a 920 too soon!! I just wish they had not released it for a few more months, to get it right. But I'll probably be first in line for a 920 and a x30. Just a sad old swinger at the teenagers' party where everybody smiles behind my back! I do this instead of going out getting drunk and chasing Sabine Women. On reflection, maybe I do hope they bring out a 920 soon, then I can exchange the 720 for a brilliant 920?

technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a4000 wrote:
Could you explain what you mean by the Bluetooth Navcore issue? Is this the handsfree buzzing problem? How did you resolve it?

It's the Home2 problem, with virtual GO not working due to XULRunner.
To resolve, remove your bluetooth phone from the 720

The buzzing handsfree is a hardware fault.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

I think the dealers selling cheap 720's have all the untested stock. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Maybe they all have lead paint on them too. Laughing
teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my replacement yesterday.

Haven't attached it to Home or updated the Navcore. Will give it a full testing today but the volume problems are evident already.

If this one is no better I will ask for a refund.
teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update....

The FM transmitter is much better on this one.....instructions are clear with very little inteference or backgound noise.

Reading text messages on my Nokia 6280 still does not work at all.

Handsfree calling still results in a "buzzing" noise being heard by the person on the other end. This is reduced if the car radio is switched off (as apposed to muted).

Will play around with it a bit more before asking for a refund.....but the latter two issues obviously have nothing to do with the Navcore update as Im using the out-of-the-box version still.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handtec offered me a refund, so I'm back to square one, but with only one GO now, the 710. Can't do anything about a replacement for the time being - will be away for a fortnight. Crying or Very sad Here goes for serious withdrawal symptoms.

teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having persevered with the replacement, I find that, with the exception of the FM transmitter, all the same faults remain. If anything, the quality of the hands free calling is even worse than the first. I will also be requesting a refund.
Outlander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that I had been blessed with a good unit, FM transmitter works well as does most stuff. I do have problems pairing but feel this is down to firmware with phone and possibly the 720 but could live with that as with some patients can get it to work.

But what has let mine down is battery life of around 1h 40m. So it will have to go, excuse the pun.
teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's response:

___

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

We are sorry that you have had to go for a refund, it could quite be possible that the retailer has a faulty batch of TomTom devices in stock

If you are still interested in TomTom products, please view our website:-
http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Language=1

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

___

Yeah, right !!!!
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hate to moan again about my 720 yet again losing it's text to speech speed cam warnings but I'm going to. Last night I had a good play with the unit, moved some POI's, deleted some and added a round about or two using the map share functionality and this morning found that all text to speech speed cam voice warnings had been lost. Clearly something I did last night caused the fault. To say I'm fed up with the continual need to re-type the damm things is an understatement.
Tomtom simply tell me that the third party speed files are not supported so dont use them.
Lord I hope this is resolved soon with a firmware update. Sad
mikeohope1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: TomTom Admission Reply with quote

Hi all newbie here,

Just thought some of you may be interested in this.

My first Go 720 was returned due to the handsfree fault. TomTom support told me the problem was my phone due to out of date firmware. Once Nokia confirmed my firmware was fully up to date TT exchanged the unit. The 2nd one had the same problem. I emailed TT support again and this time got a response admitting there is a fault with some units!!!! I took it back to the retailer who made the usual call to TT in Holland whereupon the TT support agent denied any such prpblem existed. The retailer then referred to the email I had a copy of and lo and behold TT instructed an immediate refund. I do like the unit but do not see why we should all be a guinea pig for a clearly untested product. I may now look at some alternatives. Any opinions on the Garmin models?

Hope this helps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: