Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x20 Wishlist, Quirks & Bugs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x20 Wishlist, Quirks & Bugs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teecee90
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
It doesn't look like the sort of place that would be open at weekends, or indeed ever to public callers.

I drove past it the other day and it has a "sort of" shop front......anyway, I wont go without checking first.

By the way....is your new one any better?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teecee90 wrote:
By the way....is your new one any better?
I don't know ...

A. I haven't had any work to go out trying it with (everybody say Aaaah).
B. I haven't decided whether I dare switch it on, in case I shatter all my dreams.

I have switched it on attached to the PC and allowed it to receive Mapshare updates. But I declined gently, the offer to update any software. I've installed the cameras and allegedly warned them via Home (it's just that it was connected and I'm mouse-competent). I have not paired it with my phone - I've re-paired my 710 for hands free at the moment - just hope it (710) works decently this time, because it didn't last (poor speaker quality and volume).

So, put in a good word for me with somebody who wants something delivering somewhere and perhaps I'll get some work to both give it a trial run and earn a few coppers towards the Corfu holiday in just over a week's time. Watch this space.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
everybody say Aaaah...somebody who wants something delivering somewhere

I know someone who wants something delivered on the 17th Sept Laughing but you have to keep quiet its top secret Cool

Cheers
Paul
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been away on holiday for a week, 1000 mile round trip. During this on two occassions my unit failed to retain my text to speech voice cam warnings. I've put the loss down to doing two things with the unit, the first was either loading or deleting a trip itinary and the second was listening to an audio book and fast fowarding book chapters (they were in mp3 format). It was quite annoying. I also noticed that my bluetooth connection to my samsung d600 was at times quite flakey.
On coming back I had a reply from tomtom about the loss of the text to speech speed cam link, they simply stated that the speed cam files were third party software, not supported by them and I should uninstall them as my warranty was invalid when using them.
What a cop out.
I did hope a new firmware might have been released which resolved this issue but I see not.
I will point out that during the 1000 mile trip, I was quite impressed with tomtom traffic.
e61
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
DennisN wrote:
And TT Home DIDN'T install whatever version it downloaded (because I said NO), so it's still 1.6. I'm going to fire it up now and see what happens.

Well, that's torn it!! I allowed it to install the all-singing, all-dancing new TT Home and now I understand what everybody else seems to be saying about it and why I didn't dare install it earlier.

It won't go!!! The new interface (which is a copy of the GO screen - six silly menu pictures, including an arrow to go to the next one - I've got a 21" flat LCD screen for gosh sakes, I can fit the titanic on it!) when I click the menu button to "operate my GO" it says "To start operating your device, TT Home needs to download a new file (why, for gosh sakes? doesn't it make sense to be allowed to operate the damned thing by simply clicking the damned button!!). Do you want to download this file now?" Well, what do you think I want to do? Choices are simple, even for me - YES or NO. So I click YES and it downloads and the downloading bar fills up from left to right, as it gets nearly finished, the window changes to an image of the GO with black screen and red hands. Then stops. And a nice window comes up saying "XULRunner has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for any inconvenience caused" and would I like to report it to Microsoft? No I flamin' wouldn't!! So it all just closes down. And I'm left looking at my blank Desktop and a GO half connected to the computer. Knowing that GOs don't like to be taken off the PC without going through the proper disconnect procedure, how can I disconnect without a button for disconnect?? So I fire up Explorer and go to the drive and select Eject, which does the job.

So now what?? I've lost the old version of Home which worked and gave me MapShare updates. Tried firing Home up again and doing the "operate the GO" and downloading the file it needs - three more times - and each repeat it did the same thing.

So now I have to go see what the other guys did about it, which I suspect is contact the deaf, inarticulate TT Support centre!! GRRR!

Ok, to avoid XUL error, disable bluetooth before docking, then Home V2 will work perfectly...

TT is aware of this problem.
hindsight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
[So now what?? I've lost the old version of Home which worked and gave me MapShare updates.

The old version of Home (1.6) is on the CD that came with your 720. As long as you disable Bluetooth on the 720 just before you connect to Home you will absolutely no problems with either Version 1.6 or version 2. It is also best to stay on the latest Navcore software (7.01.8290) as it is more stable

TomTom have promised a fix so patience is the key. Repeatedly taking the unit back to HandTec won't solve anything.

This question repeatedly keeps coming up. Could you (DennisN), as a moderator, at least make the post I made about TTs reply into a sticky so that others don't get their twist in a knickers about it. The post in question is here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=58845

TomTom Go 720 and loving it with Google Earth linkup.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight wrote:
TomTom have promised a fix so patience is the key. Repeatedly taking the unit back to HandTec won't solve anything.
Unfortunately, now that I've taken my new 720 out for real, I have more problems than just Home 2. But Home2 is not necessarily the fix - see other threads and posts wherein some people have perfectly working 720s and Home 2. This is very reminiscent of the x10 mounts problems last year - I had no bother, others were sent new ones.

With my new, second 720, I now have (in addition to Home2 problem)

Bluetooth phone hands free is very bad on this new device - callers can hardly hear me and are getting a serious buzzing or whining.

Text to Speech navigation instructions are terrible quality via the FM transmitter (the prerecorded nav instructions are perfect).

I'm getting bad interference on my radio (listening to MW) - I had thought that "they" were gradually degrading the signal to prepare for switch over to digital, but when I switch off the 720, reception is perfect.

I shall have to contact Handtec again - patience is not an option with a faulty device. My mobile phone is (and has been for the last 8 years) my only means of getting work and people will be reluctant to call me if every call is a serious effort - they'll simply call out somebody else instead.

technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, sorry to hear about your replacement 720 from Handtec.

I think I made the right choice in getting a refund from Handtec, and buying locally in Argos.

Apart from Home2, I have no serious problems.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bug if you use ogg files for speed camera or any other POI warning on a device using version 7 software:

When configuring the Warn Wen Near POI if you answer NO to the question about ''Use this sound'' the device displays a message about no photo's found and locks up, the only way out of this situation is to reset the device with a paperclip or pin.

Answer Yes to the question (even though the device doesn't play any sound at all) and it will pick up the associated ogg file and use the it correctly.

Please don't try this unless you know how to reset the device, as powering it off and back on will only return you to the no photos found message, I have posted this as both a warning to users of vs7 software, and in the hope that TomTom might be tracking this thread for known issues with the x20 devices - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Dennis, sorry to hear about your replacement 720 from Handtec.

I think I made the right choice in getting a refund from Handtec, and buying locally in Argos.

Apart from Home2, I have no serious problems.
Well, I've got no problem with Handtec at the moment (fingers crossed for future!) - they have twice delivered "next day before 9:30am" as promised, my nearest Argos doesn't open that early and if you had ever tried driving into Cribbs Causeway out of town shopping mall, you'd hesitate to try again!
At present, my only worry is that it's bank holiday weekend/monday tomorrow, so I don't suppose they'll be there to see my email until Tuesday, and I go off on a fortnight's holiday on Thursday night - not the biggest of exchange delivery windows! We'll see. This is my first significant internet buy - I can't blame them for it being faulty, I can take comfort from the way they've handled it so far.

stevesco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: audio muting Reply with quote

I have the mp3 route to go to the fm transmitter, and the sat nav instructions to go through the internal speaker. Each time a sat nav instruction is give, the fm transmitter audio mutes for the duration of the navigation instruction.
Is this how its supposed to be? or am i missing something. I don't really want my audio to be interuppted each time i turn a corner or approaching a turn, or confront a POI.

cheers

steve
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: audio muting Reply with quote

stevesco wrote:
Each time a sat nav instruction is give, the fm transmitter audio mutes for the duration of the navigation instruction.
Is this how its supposed to be? or am i missing something.
That's how it's supposed to be Steve, otherwise you would be missing something, namely the navigation instructions - primary function = Satnav, secondary = MP3 player.

Try and sing the missing lyrics whilst the nav instructions are interrupting, see if you get to the same place when the music comes back on. Good Game, Good Game! Clap Clap Very Happy

stevesco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: audio Reply with quote

thanks for the reply.
I think, this should have been an option in the software. I understand that its primary a sat nav, but why bother including the mp3 option if its crippled with interuptions? anyway maybe one day TT may change it.. Laughing Laughing

cheers

Steve
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevesco,

I love the FM transmitter. In the same way as you I have the mp3/audiobooks through the car radio and the instructions through the TomTom. If I know where I'm going I just turn off the sound, which mutes all sound, then start the audiobook/music and only that plays through the radio and no interuptions for speadcameras or directions.

Cheers
Paul
stevesco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh I did that, but at first i had the voice set to "computer kate", and she's a right b*t*h Wink , she just wouldn't shut up.... i wonder who it reminded me of Laughing ... anyway, changed that and got the mans voice on and he knew when to button it.....

cheers anyway

steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: