Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x20 Wishlist, Quirks & Bugs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x20 Wishlist, Quirks & Bugs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deep-6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No bugs as yet, but a few wants..

as has been mentioned, the FM transmitter volume is a bit poor, once they sort that out, i'd like to see if possible the x20 series to broadcast the traffic information signal seconds before its about to announce the next instructions.

That way, from my head unit, if I'm listening to CDs but have the Traffic Info feature enabled the head unit would switch to the pre tuned tomtom channel, play the instructions and then eventually switch back to playing CDs.

I'm guessing if you have a bluetooth capable head unit, it would automatically mute the CD sound to play what came over the bluetooth link.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream on - an RDS equipped car unit would never re-tune to the correct frequency fast enough for this to be viable, nice idea but simply not possible IMHO with current technology.

Far better to put your CD's through the PC to create mp3 files and load them to an SD card within the 720, let that sort out the audio feed as it works very well - Mike
Deep-6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy thanks Mike, i figured this would be a pipe dream. My head unit already does play mp3s off of CDs, but of course I would get more storage using an SD card in the 720.

I haven't spent too much time with the FM interface tuning and tweaking, but first impressions are not great. If I can improve the reception then I will certainly go down the route you suggest. I don't think the head unit has an aux in either but I'll need to check on that...

Cheers!
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed a POI problem a few times with my 720, e.g. I connect to home 1.6 and it tells me that there are POI corrections for me to download, I get them and they install to my unit. After they've installed I've exited the home app but re-started it a few mins later. On doing another check for updates it tells me again that the same POI corrections are available for download and I go through the same install procedure again. I'm convinced they are the same ones. Anyone else experience this? Obviously what I don't know is where the fault lies:
1. With me (always possible)
2. With my go 720
3. With tomtom home 1.6

Pete
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been fiddling all day with my 720, on, off, connect, disconnect, Home locking, working, generally giving me the run around. Anyway on at least three occasions, it downloaded "Map Corrections" and I was clever enough to notice that each time the file size was different. I assumed they were map corrections, but I suppose they could just as easily have been POI corrections for the map. We shall never know, because Tom Tom won't tell us!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also have that issue of Home wanting to download and install an older map (one I bought for the 510) and on the first instance it tried to install them but wasn't enough free space and Home (v2) threw a wobbler.

Oddly like the POI issue you reported, it only prompts to download them now and again. Map corrections it almost always downloads - so I guess the filtering of the corrections (i.e. reported by few, etc) are done at the device level???
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skwark wrote:
I guess the filtering of the corrections (i.e. reported by few, etc) are done at the device level???
My guess would be that your device sends its configuration when you login/connect - they'll route it to the appropriate download - no point in gobbling up their resources sending you stuff you don't want.

pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This afternoon I drove a 10 mile round trip to a local supermarket. On getting to my destination I moved some of tomtom's own POI's which I noted were out of place along my route and I added two new ones, a Doctors and a Dentist. The unit was then turned off and I went and gave the Mrs a hand with the shopping ( I'm good like that Razz )
Shopping finished, back in the car, 720 turned on and off home we went. En route I noticed that my text to speech speed cam warnings were not active. I was passing gatso cams and Katie was silent. The text to speech link had been lost. This has happened to me previously but I could never put my finger on exactly what the cause had been. This time I could and it was map corrections. Time to install the latest firmware in the hope this issue is resolved. Surely it can't get any worse.

Last edited by pete1336 on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quarter of an hour ago, I fired up Home and it downloaded Map Corrections of 26Kb. It also sneakily downloaded the latest Home application, which I hope it didn't install!
Ten minutes ago I connected again and it downloaded an update for GO520, GO720 software, 23.8Mb. I already had an identical update entry which I'm not sure if I had installed. This one shows a difference - not v7.000, it's now v7.010.

pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
This one shows a difference - not v7.000, it's now v7.010.

DennisN,
Same here, I take it now your numbers are the same as those in my sig?
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just mentioned this in another thread, but Home 2 has gone "gold" as they say (ie. out of beta) and now stands at version 2.0.0.370.

Also Dennis, your tip about the "read aloud messages" option solved the problem of it not reading my messages despite offering to.. still seems flaky though as first attempt it got bored half way through reading the mobile number and stopped, second attempt it read the whole thing. Just had a response from TT about it - which was a complete waste of time as they just said "it won't work unless you select a computer voice". Really? No! Well they seemed to conveniently miss the fact I stated I WAS using a computer voice in the first place.... Confused
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:
DennisN wrote:
This one shows a difference - not v7.000, it's now v7.010.

DennisN,
Same here, I take it now your numbers are the same as those in my sig?

Spot on (it hasn't crashed yet or anything - I'm keeping my head down).

And TT Home DIDN'T install whatever version it downloaded (because I said NO), so it's still 1.6. I'm going to fire it up now and see what happens.

Skwark Glad it worked. Mine gets cut off mid sentence during nav instructions - if the next nav instruction is due before she's finished telling me this one, she'll choke and start on the next. Here in Keynsham there are two mini roundabouts some 150 yards apart and she gets through the first, then gets partway through telling me about what to do at the next one, when she needs to tell me I'm at it and have to take whatever. You've got to feel sorry for the poor lass!

pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:
PaulBt wrote:
Bugs:
3. Computer voices are deactivated when an SD card is inserted.
Cheers
Paul

So that's what causes that eh? It's happened to me several times and until reading your post I couldn't identify what was causing it. It's dammed annoying isn't it, here's to looking forward to the first firmware release.

I've just checked, with the new firmware ver 7.010 this issue seems to have been resolved for me. This afternoon I took my sd card out and put it back in and the computer voice and my text to speech speed cam warnings were all still present. Can anyone else confirm?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:
I've just checked, with the new firmware ver 7.010 this issue seems to have been resolved for me.
Yesssss!! That means I can now leave my softy pants MP3 SD card in the hole permanently and not take it out when I switch off - I was just about to redesign my suspend splash (antitheftw.bmp) to include an SD card to remind me to unload it, saved me the trouble.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
And TT Home DIDN'T install whatever version it downloaded (because I said NO), so it's still 1.6. I'm going to fire it up now and see what happens.

Well, that's torn it!! I allowed it to install the all-singing, all-dancing new TT Home and now I understand what everybody else seems to be saying about it and why I didn't dare install it earlier.

It won't go!!! The new interface (which is a copy of the GO screen - six silly menu pictures, including an arrow to go to the next one - I've got a 21" flat LCD screen for gosh sakes, I can fit the titanic on it!) when I click the menu button to "operate my GO" it says "To start operating your device, TT Home needs to download a new file (why, for gosh sakes? doesn't it make sense to be allowed to operate the damned thing by simply clicking the damned button!!). Do you want to download this file now?" Well, what do you think I want to do? Choices are simple, even for me - YES or NO. So I click YES and it downloads and the downloading bar fills up from left to right, as it gets nearly finished, the window changes to an image of the GO with black screen and red hands. Then stops. And a nice window comes up saying "XULRunner has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for any inconvenience caused" and would I like to report it to Microsoft? No I flamin' wouldn't!! So it all just closes down. And I'm left looking at my blank Desktop and a GO half connected to the computer. Knowing that GOs don't like to be taken off the PC without going through the proper disconnect procedure, how can I disconnect without a button for disconnect?? So I fire up Explorer and go to the drive and select Eject, which does the job.

So now what?? I've lost the old version of Home which worked and gave me MapShare updates. Tried firing Home up again and doing the "operate the GO" and downloading the file it needs - three more times - and each repeat it did the same thing.

So now I have to go see what the other guys did about it, which I suspect is contact the deaf, inarticulate TT Support centre!! GRRR!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: