Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I run Navigator 5 and 6 on the same PDA?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I run Navigator 5 and 6 on the same PDA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazybones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Can I run Navigator 5 and 6 on the same PDA? Reply with quote

A bit of advice please.

I will shortly be spending a week in France and ideally want to use the Western European Maps which came with Navigator 5 (the maps are version 5.xx).

I now run Naviagator 6 on my PDA and I have read in the FAQ that I can't use Nav 5 maps with Nav 6, so I wondered whether it's possible to load the Navigator 5 application on my PDA as well as 6, to use the older Western European maps?

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I can't find this topic being previously mentioned.
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK you can't run 2 different Navigator versions on PDA.
At least some of the software is installed on the internal memory so would clash.
Your other problem is that those maps are quite old and, unlike UK, France has been opening several major new roads over the last couple of years.
So you could find yourself e.g. driving on a slow old road with a gleaming new autoroute off to the side. This happened to me in 2006 with Navman maps which were supposed to be only 6 months old.
The new TT 6.75 WE_CE map was very good last month in France.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have Sprite Back up on the PDA? - I think this could allow you to do what you want, install Sprite and create a full self installing back-up of the device with TomTom 6 installed, remove the TT6 application and install TomTom version 5 create a second self installing back-up.

To switch the applications simply hard reset the device then install one of the self executing back-up made by Sprite, the back up you install will contain all your data with either TTN5 or TTN6 depending upon your selection of back-up file - not the easiest, but this is better than re-naming files and folders every time you want to switch apps and maps - Mike
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good idea. My sprite backups from a PDA packed with applications are only around 20Mbyte so could be easily stored on the relevant SD card.
crazybones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I was trying to avoid paying out £40 for a new set of maps for a weeks use, but I take the point about the TT5 maps being rather ancient. I wish I'd paid attention when Halfords were selling off the maps cheap!

I like the idea Mike of using Sprite. That's what I will probably do.

Many thanks.
hope68
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works if u have TT6 installed on ur device and if u have TT5 completly installed on ur Memory-Card.

A user in the german pocketnavigation-forum is using his TT5-maps from the States with TT5 on SD-Card and TT6 running with the europe maps.

cu Peter
OldFartAtPlay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not that complicated. I have both 5 and 6 installed and running fine on the internal memory of my Dell Axim: just rename the TTN5 folder to something like TTN5 before installing TTN6 (and update any shortcuts to the new folder name). The two installations are completely independent and all I need to do is put in one of two SD cards, with either the TTN5 or TTN6 maps on, and run the appropriate version(I do this because I occasionally visit Poland, which is on the TTN5 Europe maps but not on the TTN6 version without paying extra) Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: