Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - pda versus standalone unit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

pda versus standalone unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ijk111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: pda versus standalone unit Reply with quote

Know this question has been asked before but is there a sticky somewhere listing all the pro and cons.

I use my PDA currently with a globastat gps reciever and tom tom 3 software. Been using it for 3 years now and mainly use it for navigation. want to upgrade and considering between a standalone unit or the pda set.
My main problem with the PDA system is
1] If you donot use the PDA unit for long and let the battery drain you have to reset the device lossing all data and needing to reinstall the navigation software.
2] Once the pda is booted up and you start the navigation software say tom tom it takes a good 5 minutes before a satellite sign fix i got.

So should I go for a standalone unit or are the newer PDAs and the newer Compact flash GPS reciver better in overcoming the above mentioned shortcomings i have.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a PDA that is running WM2005 or even WM6 as the operating system they both use persistant storage, that is the device doesn't loose everything when you let the power drain.
Most units these days are loaded with WM2005, some very recent devices are using WM6.
As for the GPS, you could look at the CF GPS but there are not too many around these days as Bluetooth or embeded GPS where the hardware is fitter internal to the PDA - go for a SiRF-III chipset whichever one you choose. For CF have a look at the Holux GR-271 this uses small amounts of power from the host PDA.
If you want to consider an all in one though I would have a close look at the HTC Artemis, decent GPS built in, WiFi, Bluetooth and its a phone - all in a PDA sized package - great device it is supplied running WM2005, there will/ should be an upgrade to WM6 at some point in the near future - Mike
FazerUK
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a PDA and used it for a GPS but it was a pain most of the time, and ended up getting a stand alone myself
Western_Europe-Map v650.1127
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mikealder said losing data is not an issue with the newer WM5 and WM6.
If you do not have any use for a PDA (since you let the battery runs down) then a standalone is sufficient and cheaper and probably easier to use.
If you have any use at all with a PDA, I would also suggest an all in one, or even consider a phone/PDA/GPS in one.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

If you want to consider an all in one though I would have a close look at the HTC Artemis, decent GPS built in, WiFi, Bluetooth and its a phone - all in a PDA sized package - great device it is supplied running WM2005, there will/ should be an upgrade to WM6 at some point in the near future - Mike

Mike
I believe that the WM6 update for the artemis was released on 17/7/07 I have not tried it yet as I dont want to lose the software that I am running in case of incompatabilities(ie TT6).
theripper
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on the WM6 ROM release, but to be honest I probably won't bother with it for a while yet, for a number of reasons:

1/ Data Loss/ re-installation of applications etc.
2/ If it ain't broke don't fix it - WM6 offers no advantage for me.
3/ Having tried WM6 on another device - not much new over WM2005
4/ My unit is stable and performing well - don't want to upset the apple cart and start de-bugging new code - Mike
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Just upgraded my old O2 XDA II for a new O2 XDA Orbit and although the O2 site says WM5.0 it actually arrived with WM6.0. See Sig.
Ordered mid day thursday arrived 09:15 friday.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: