Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new voices for garmin nuvi 310D
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new voices for garmin nuvi 310D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w2w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: new voices for garmin nuvi 310D Reply with quote

After much trawling the www [this forum mainly] I've bought the Garmin [I initially thought that tomtom was the best bet but I [hope] I've seen sense]

I'm fairly happy, but the user screen isn't as good as tomtom [IMHO] but my main gripe is the voice.

Can I change the UK voice to something other than the annoying woman?
w2w
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and another thing..Have I been a wally spending my hard earned £250 on this because it had traffic and bluetooth?

Was there a better system out there for London driving? [which I've found TT mobile to be poor]

edited by for language by PaulB2005
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pick any of the voices provided on the unit - but there aren't any 3rd party voices available (AFAIK.)

As or your second question Laughing

Bluetooth is very good if you have BT mobile phone and no car kit - you now have one. Traffic (TMC) is a moot point. Lots of discussion about useability in UK (poor FM signal levels are genrally held to blame.) I would recommend connecting the TMC unit's aerial to an extrnal aerial (can use your car aerial) and I would recommend an in-line amplifier before splitting into your radio and nuvi.
DukeDesmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Traffic (TMC) is a moot point. Lots of discussion about useability in UK (poor FM signal levels are genrally held to blame.) I would recommend connecting the TMC unit's aerial to an extrnal aerial (can use your car aerial) and I would recommend an in-line amplifier before splitting into your radio and nuvi.

Interesting, care to elaborate on how to connect the TMC aerial to car aerial? what kind of amp etc, I have a Garmin 670 (in an Audi A3) which has the (GTM21) TMC aerial (actually got a warning of delays on Friday around Manchester) but as I have mounted the garmin low down in the dash the aerial is entirely behind the dash and only a little bit reaches near the top of the dash, so I think not ideally placed?

Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a start get the cable out from behind the dash and give the device a chance, with the cable hidden in the mannor you have I am surprised it works at all.

For connection to the car aerial you need to obtain a splitter cable that fits the back of your car stereo, the idea being to split the existing signal cable into two seperate feeds something like This , aerial amplifiers can be fitted prior to the splitter for a whole host of links to various amplifiers have a read through This Thread - Mike
DukeDesmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and the link to the discussion, very interesting, I'm going to try the splitter/amplifier thing as I don't want any visible wires.

I believe my radio aerial is amplified? (Audi A3 rear window aerial) does this cause any problems? also there seems to be 2 aerial type connectors, 1 standard round plug and a smaller more square plug, not sure why.

Presumably I can just solder a connector to the GTM21 aerial wire to plug into the split?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to this and want to do the job right first time.

Smile
adrian_anastas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w2w wrote:
Oh and another thing..Have I been a wally spending my hard earned £250 on this because it had traffic and bluetooth?

Was there a better system out there for London driving? [which I've found TT mobile to be poor]

edited by for language by PaulB2005

I've been using Garmin's (GPS V, I3, Nuvi 350) in London for a few years now. I find that the navigation is for the most part good, but I do have a couple of gripes:

1: Doesn't always recognize islands/barricades that prevent you from turning right on a major A road (finchley road is the worst culprit I've found).
2. GPS signal issues (with GPS V and I3) in central London around tall buildings/narrow streets. Nuvi is much better at this
3. Out of date maps (Even with the latest V9 set).
4. No TMC messages (Nuvi, but I think the TMC receiver is broken as it's never worked).

I've trialled a TT to see if it's any better, and I have to say it's all much of a muchness, but I do prefer the Garmins.

BTW: I'm wondering what PaulB2005 edited
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1: Doesn't always recognize islands/barricades that prevent you from turning right on a major A road (finchley road is the worst culprit I've found).

True but all mapping has faults like this.

Quote:
2. GPS signal issues (with GPS V and I3) in central London around tall buildings/narrow streets. Nuvi is much better at this

Even with an antenna? Don't have any problems with mine now i have an antenna.

Quote:
3. Out of date maps (Even with the latest V9 set).

You've just made me glad i didn't update!!

Quote:
BTW: I'm wondering what PaulB2005 edited

A naughty word has been replaced. That's all.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be aware that most cars that use the rear window heater element also employ a powered amplifier to boost the signal, these are often powered by sending 12V DC up the centre core of the coax cable, connect this to your Garmin and it will most probably damage it beyond repair.
There is an addapter cable (probably mentioned in thread I linked to earlier) that is available if your car uses the Fakra connector, This contains the vital capacitor needed to de-couple the sgnal from the DC thus preventiing any possible damage.

Personally I am not a great fan of aerials that use the rear window heater elements as their front end, they just don't offer the same levels of performance that a true aerial can give, and RDS-TMC needs every last drop of signal you can give it to work - Mike
DukeDesmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There is an addapter cable (probably mentioned in thread I linked to earlier) that is available if your car uses the Fakra connector, This contains the vital capacitor needed to de-couple the sgnal from the DC thus preventiing any possible damage.

I've seen this cable in the post; https://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/shop/consumer/accessories/26/universal/751 Is the Fakra connector the small square one next to the round aerial plug? if so then my car has both, is this the best one to connect to? does it do the same as the round one?

I understand that rear window aerials aren't the greatest but I don't really want to be drilling bodywork etc and I'd rather keep the aerial-free look anyway if possible.

Thanks.

Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: