Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Powering GPS antenna
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Powering GPS antenna
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cantaloupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v sockets Reply with quote

Pc-Mobile wrote:

It should power/charge the PDA as well as the GPS.
You have to supect that it (the GPS cable set) may be faulty.

I added 4 more batteries so now there are 12. 12.6v.

NOTHING

I connected the cigarette lighter adapter to a separate 12v line from my car and it works (the flashing orange charging light). I thought it might be the adapter. When I reconnect the adapter to the battery pack.

NOTHING

The red LED on the powered mount and on the GPS receiver both work. So it is not the cable, the mount, the adapter, or the plug.

Its the battery pack. I can't understand what could be the problem.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the iPAQ fully charged when you are trying this? - as this could be why the device is not illuminating the charge LED - mine does it from time to time try the following:
Go to Settings/ Power_ Advanced Tab select the on battery power timer to turn the device off after 1 min, and uncheck the On AC power "Turn the device off after" check box.
Plug the unit in to the Battery pod and power it up - don't run the GPS program as this will muddle this test, see if the device powers down after 1 min or stays switched on.

If it stays on I would say it is detecting the external pack and using it, as the battery in the iPAQ depletes the charge lght will probably come on, if it powers down it is not seeing the battery pack, if it powers down can you measure the voltage output of the battery pack with a meter as it could be down to a defective cell - Mike
Cantaloupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is 55% charged. I removed the battery and connected it to the mount/battery pack but nothing

I tried what you suggested and it went off after 1 min.

I don't have a meter but the USB outlet on the powered mount attached to the battery pack powered up a laser mouse and an MP3 player also the battery pack itself powered a 12v car light.

When I plug the iPAQ into the computer's USB it tries to recharge.
Cantaloupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some kind of reaction from the iPAQ to being connected to the battery pack.

When I power it on without the pack (on its battery), it comes on and works---before shutting down after for 1 minute without use.

When I try to power it on connected to the pack it won't power on at all.

Once I also got a crazy, battery low message with 51% remaining after it was connected to the powered mount.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the pos and neg terminals are the correct way around in the battery pack? - the centre pin of the ciggy socket should be +, the outer barrel is the - terminal, I cannot think of much else that would cause what you are seeing - Mike
Cantaloupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is the right way around. The iPAQ just refuses to accept power from the battery pack It will absolutely not power on when connected to the pack as it will with the other power sources that I've tried. Crying or Very sad
Cantaloupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the battery pack to the electronics store and I was told what the problem was and why the battery pack wouldn't power power the iPAQ.

I was connecting the battery holders in parallel (all of the red wires together and all of the black wires together) not in series, before then connecting them to the cigarette lighter socket.

Now it works as it should.

Big thanks to everybody for their help and suggestions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: