Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 720 and SD cards
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 720 and SD cards
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: TT 720 and SD cards Reply with quote

well it didn't take long for issues to arise !!!

I have previously used a 512 MB SD card (Dane-Elec) with my TT ONE NE. I have removed all the old files off it and put it into my new 720 (paln was to put all (MP3's on it) of course the 720 displays the remove card amimation ... and it does not work ... any ideas ??

I also note that TT Home on Vista just keepes freezing .... sigh ...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On everything PRIOR to the 520/720 that had internal flash memory as the main storage, the SD card could only be used if it had EVERYTHING on it (system software, maps etc.) as the TT would boot to either the internal memory OR the SD card.
The review on here of a pre-retail version of the 520 said that was no longer the case - you could use the memory for the main functions and the card just for extras.

Quote:
PaulBt wrote:
Looking at the info on the TomTom site, am I correct in thinking that the maps supplied with the unit are in the internal memory and that the SD is only required for additional storage and is not required?

That is correct, however unlike the ONE with internal storage, you can have maps on both internal and removable storage and maps internally and .mp3's etc on the SD.
Quote:
How much room is spare on the internal memory, for POIs, music, voices, shared documents, vehicle icons, etc?

We haven't had a 720 yet so cannot say, the memory in our test device is not representative of a retail device so cannot be compared. However, it's cheap and easy to add an SD card to expand memory for such things.

Maybe that's changed for the final retail versions, I think Darren was going to check.

Alternatively, could it be something as simple as it needing a re-format?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope it's not changed, with the x20's you can use the memory card for .mp3's etc without having to replicate the files stored internally.

I'd suggest a format of the card and retest.
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used HOME to put some MP3s onto a SD card. Looking at the card it only has the mp3 folder and three files in the root directory that I remember start with tt (I don't have way to read it at the moment).

It is completly transparent when using the unit as to where the files are held.

Cheers
Paul
Pads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. I reformatted the card (FAT 32) and tried to ranfer some mp3's onto the card via HOME. Card now shows the following folders

mp3
ttgo.bif
tthome.biff

however when I restart the device it shows the remove SD amimation still ??
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Same here, a 4Gb SanDisk Extreme III that worked perfectly with the x10 has exactly the same problem, and I think it is now the cause of my problems.

Ever since using the SD card I've been loosing my setup and getting an error message saying that my 720 has been unable to save my settings. Luckily I had taken a full back before I did anything but even this does not work. I have formatted the internal disk and restored the files and still problems saving the settings. This was also TomTom's recommendation to format the disk, but instead restoring the back they suggested using Home, either way neither solution is working...
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think we may have a problem with SD cards, I'm now on my fourth card all different makes, all worked on previous models. With the card in the 720 displays a 'X' when booting the device requesting that its removed.

Ever since this has happened the Startup routing kick's in asking for country, left right hand drive, time etc and at the voice selection the @Unable to Store settings , file access error' is displayed. The 720 then work OK, you can configure the device, change setting etc etc. All is OK until it next locks up, a reset is then required, all setting are lost and the startup routine kicks in again.

A real pain, as all the bluetooth settings etc are also lost.

All of this is after a format, and a complete restore of the original backup.
Pads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to TT who of course really didn't have a clue. Were supposed to call me back with a solution ... good job I am not holding my breath !!

They said that I should ignore the 'remove SD card' animation since the unit would soon book from the internal memory ... this is true and it does .. except that in my case the unit then powers off ... so I am still without the ability to use an SD card .... and as usual TT customer service/technical support scores a resounding 0 /10. I guess we ar eon our own as usual to try and find a solution ...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does appear to be a problem, the device boots then powers down with an SD card loaded with mp3 files via Home, the same SD card works fine in the One XL, the mp3 files are all where home put them in the mp3 folder on a fresh formatted card - the same mp3 files work on the 910.

The unit will only boot and work with a blank SD card installed - Mike
i235rider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried this and have had no problem.

Loaded MP3 through home and all played fine and no problem with 720.

It's even a transflash in a SD adaptor

Cheers
Phil
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I've just tested with a 2GB Sandisk UltraII and it worked both when manually creating the folder and files and when using HOME to do the same.
Pads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ... have managed to make this work using a 1GB mini SD card ??!! who knows ..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried 9 different cards of various makes (including a TomTom supplied GO card) - only the last one worked - an unbranded 256MB that came with a Garmin 310D, same files on each card - go figure.....

Strange thing though, as the device booted with the unbranded card I got the red X over the SD card image on the screen, but this time it completed the boot sequence and found the songs on the card which it is quite happy to play - Mike
Jibbsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also having the same problem with both a Sandisk and Toshiba SD card.
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a similar problem here when I inserted a UK SD Map Card (genuine) into a 720,it found the map and ran ok but when I reverted back to Western Europe I had lost the computer voice Kate in the change voice options.Had to dock the 720 into the docking station and reboot to get it back.
Something weird going on here with sd cards

If you load the same map onto internal memory there is no problem.

DracUK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: