Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Luxury Villa at Watersong Davenport, Orlando, Florida for rent
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Tom Tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Tom Tom
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
woodchip
Lifetime Member


Joined: May 15, 2004
Posts: 151
Location: Norfolk UK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: New Tom Tom Reply with quote

I have had a TT Go 700 now for some years and it has served me well but I am getting frustrated with the cost and constant need to update the maps so I am contemplating investing in a new TT which offers free lifetime maps. It also offers free camera alerts but I am used to Pocket GPS World camera alerts and I am a lifetime member so they are free as well but can anybody tell me if the new TT models are supported by Pocket World, thanks.

Last edited by woodchip on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Nov 10, 2011
Posts: 584

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Tom Tom Reply with quote

woodchip wrote:
can anybody tell me if the new TT models are supported by Pocket World, thanks.


Sadly, in a word, no.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Oct 15, 2008
Posts: 1904

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be a few Via 135LM still available. The last of the "good" generation and with lifetime maps.[/list]
_________________
Garmin Nuvi 2599
Android with CamerAlert, OsmAnd+, Waze & TT Europe.
TomTom GO 730, GO 930, GO 940 & Rider2.
SatMap Active 10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hoolahoops
Lifetime Member


Joined: Aug 07, 2007
Posts: 49
Location: Milton Keynes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argos have them (Via 135) for a penny under 80...

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3390470

Thinking of getting one as a spare for when my 950 finally dies...
_________________
Kev

TT Go 950 Live. Fixed Brodit mount
Motorola Moto 4G
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
woodchip
Lifetime Member


Joined: May 15, 2004
Posts: 151
Location: Norfolk UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoolahoops wrote:
Argos have them (Via 135) for a penny under 80...

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3390470

Thinking of getting one as a spare for when my 950 finally dies...


Is this model compatible with Pocket GPS World camera alerts please ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Nov 10, 2011
Posts: 584

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodchip wrote:
hoolahoops wrote:
Argos have them (Via 135) for a penny under 80...

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3390470

Thinking of getting one as a spare for when my 950 finally dies...


Is this model compatible with Pocket GPS World camera alerts please ?


Sadly, in 2 words, "still no" BUT at least you do get "lifetime" maps whatever THAT means to TT!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodchip
Lifetime Member


Joined: May 15, 2004
Posts: 151
Location: Norfolk UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi justbrowsing and thanks for your time but I am a bit confused because I read somewhere that this was the last model that would take the cameralert database but you have probably saved me the trouble of finding out to late
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Nov 10, 2011
Posts: 584

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodchip wrote:
Hi justbrowsing and thanks for your time but I am a bit confused because I read somewhere that this was the last model that would take the cameralert database but you have probably saved me the trouble of finding out to late


I'm open to be corrected but as far as I was aware ANY device that used MyDrive rather than TTHome could not take these and, according to this https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/travel-lounge-154/serial-numbers-uk-devices-names-1014468/index1.html all Via models use MyDrive?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodchip
Lifetime Member


Joined: May 15, 2004
Posts: 151
Location: Norfolk UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbrowsing wrote:
woodchip wrote:
Hi justbrowsing and thanks for your time but I am a bit confused because I read somewhere that this was the last model that would take the cameralert database but you have probably saved me the trouble of finding out to late


I'm open to be corrected but as far as I was aware ANY device that used MyDrive rather than TTHome could not take these and, according to this https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/travel-lounge-154/serial-numbers-uk-devices-names-1014468/index1.html all Via models use MyDrive?


I guess I will just keep paying TT for map updates until my old 700 gives up the ghost
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Dec 08, 2004
Posts: 10597
Location: Suffolk, UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justbrowsing wrote:
I'm open to be corrected but as far as I was aware ANY device that used MyDrive rather than TTHome could not take these ...
According to Via 135 users it is possible.

See this post, among several others that agree
_________________
Richard

TT 910 V7.903 (9183/081205) OS:2344
Europe version 1035.9679
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
justbrowsing
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Nov 10, 2011
Posts: 584

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
justbrowsing wrote:
I'm open to be corrected but as far as I was aware ANY device that used MyDrive rather than TTHome could not take these ...
According to Via 135 users it is possible.

See this post, among several others that agree


Humble pie tastes bloody horrible but thanks for correcting me!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodchip
Lifetime Member


Joined: May 15, 2004
Posts: 151
Location: Norfolk UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys but now I have to choose which way to jump Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Oct 15, 2008
Posts: 1904

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Via135LM does accept PgpsW cameras and it does have lifetime map updates.

However, "lifetime" doesn't mean the same to Tom Tom as it does to the rest of us.
_________________
Garmin Nuvi 2599
Android with CamerAlert, OsmAnd+, Waze & TT Europe.
TomTom GO 730, GO 930, GO 940 & Rider2.
SatMap Active 10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodchip
Lifetime Member


Joined: May 15, 2004
Posts: 151
Location: Norfolk UK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand TT's lifetime is the time they choose to support the model with updates etc not the actual lifetime of the model
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier


Joined: Oct 15, 2008
Posts: 1904

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly that, woodchip.

As the Via 135 is a few years older than the latest models, it is possible that TT may choose to pull the support sooner, who knows?.

As the saying goes - You pays your money and takes your choice.
_________________
Garmin Nuvi 2599
Android with CamerAlert, OsmAnd+, Waze & TT Europe.
TomTom GO 730, GO 930, GO 940 & Rider2.
SatMap Active 10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001 phpBB Group
phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner's phpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4 standalone was developed and tested by:
ArtificialIntel, ChatServ, mikem,
sixonetonoffun and Paul Laudanski (aka Zhen-Xjell).

Version 2.1 by Nuke Cops 2003 http://www.nukecops.com

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
17.103 (16 Oct 19)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping