Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fortuna BT Clip-On battery charge
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fortuna BT Clip-On battery charge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Fortuna BT Clip-On battery charge Reply with quote

Does anyone know how long the battery needs to charge for until it's full?

Many thanks
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 3.5 hours.
I, thinking mobile phone battery put mine on initial charge overnight expecting light to change to green............wrong!!
Fortunately removing battery resets GPS and you can eventually get
back to proper charging cycle.

Cheers
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Don't quite understand: do you mean that leaving it to charge for a long period is bad for the battery? How does the charging affect the GPS?

Thanks again
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont ask me Question Confused
I had charging probs at start, contacted Fortuna support and indications given were that I should not have charged battery prior to use.
Removing battery seemed to get things back on track........for a while.
Changed to XT mode, fine until I tried to change back to ST.Thought it
was in off position when I changed but again problems until such times as
I removed battery, reinserted and let it drain itself.
Think what is really required from experts is dummies guide to battery useage with BT GPS units.

cheers
CheshireCat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Battery charge indication Reply with quote

After leaving my Clip-On to charge for a while, the orange light goes out completely (not changed to green). Of course, it could always be faulty...
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does the same, but then if you disconnect and reconnect the charger, the orange light comes on again.

I don't think there's a perfect GPS unit out there. But the Clip-On seems very good all round. I'm going to check out the 3.5 hours charge and see how long that gives me.

Love the little plastic clip case.
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on how long the charge lasted for?
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that this is one of those GPSs that actually delivers what it says on the box. The charge lasted for approx 8.5 hours. It's too difficult to find out exactly how long recharging takes, but I think it's about 4 hours. As far as I'm concerned, this is a brilliant unit.
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too agree that this unit is great. I've only been using it for a week and not been disappointed yet.

Tomorrow I plan to use it for a little hillwalking using GPS Tuner.

So I hope the battery lasts the 8hrs or I could be stuck towards the end !!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hijacker wrote:
Tomorrow I plan to use it for a little hillwalking using GPS Tuner.

So I hope the battery lasts the 8hrs or I could be stuck towards the end !!

I'm sure this goes without saying anyway, and that your comment was meant largely in jest (or at least saying that you weren't planning to rely on the GPS setup for your safety), but this seems a good place for a safety reminder.

It's highly unlikely your Pocket PC batteries will last 8 hours. I can get about five out of my setup with the backlight turned down low and Bluetooth off. I don't think there's any Pocket PCs that will manage much more than that - at least not without a special high capacity battery or external battery fitted.

More generally, it is important not to rely on technology when outdoors.

I believe anyone who is walking should carry an appropriate map (which should really be laminated and/or in a proper map case) and compass as a backup to any GPS based setup. Further - you need to know how to use these things!

GPS is not 100% accurate (relying on it as a your primary navigation aid in bad weather in mountainous terrain could prove fatal because of the possibility of positional inaccuracy). There are occasions when you can't get a GPS fix, or the one you can get is of very poor quality. There's always the possibility of some kind of system crash or even hardware damage to the GPS system if it's dropped or gets wet.

The same is even more true of communications systems when outdoors. Do not rely on a mobile phone as the sole means of communication, particularly in emergency situations. This is especially true of terrain and weather conditions that really require you to be carrying survival gear.

With a mobile phone, it's too easy to find yourself out of coverage, or with a flat battery (particularly if you've been in areas of marginal coverage). There are stories where people have managed to send a text message on a marginal signal with dying batteries - but don't rely on it.

Indeed, no radio technology is guaranteed to work when outdoors. I could take my amateur 2m/70cm handheld with me (I hold a Full Amateur licence), but there's no guarantee anyone is listening and even at the VHF 2m frequencies the terrain can cause problems. The same is even more true of those little PMR446 UHF sets - which are limited to a very low transmit power by the regulations. CB on 27MHz might be the most use of all of the radio systems you could carry that don't require you to pass licence exams - but you're still relying on you managing to get your signal to someone who is listening.

One of the most reliable systems to get help to you if problems occur in terrain where there is a degree of risk is a trustworthy person or group of people who are aware of your plans (including route and timing details) and will contact the authorities if you are overdue.

It's always foolhardy to venture outdoors without appropriate equipment - and do check your batteries (ideally taking spares for key equipment). Getting stuck outside at this time of the year with the light fading, then finding that the only torch you have has flat batteries or a blown bulb could leave you in a rather perilous situation.

For me, the outdoors is a place I can't really get now - you're a bit limited when you're a power chair user, and it's many years since I've been able to walk anywhere. I certainly wouldn't rely on me for safety advice. In any case, most that venture outdoors are well aware of what equipment and training they require.

All I wanted to do was to remind everyone that our wonderful technological gadgets have limitations, particularly in outdoors situations. If you look at the manuals for many of our devices (including, I believe, the Microsoft licence for Pocket PC), they will often tell you that performance is not guaranteed in "safety of life" situations or similar.

David
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your concern Dave but don't worry I'll be taking my usual OS Map and compass with me !!

After all when it starts raining the Ipaq wouldn't be much use either!! Smile
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good sense.

In an attempt to stave off disaster I've got a spare battery for the Fortuna Clip-On, a recharging zinc-air pack for the Ipaq and a waterproof case for same. But my aim is more to embarass my wife than depend too much on the technology Smile
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guessed you would be taking your trusty map and compass - I leave that post as a warning about the limitations of the technology. It would be so needless if someone, through ignorance, pushes the limits of the technology too far and land up hurt or even dead.

There are ways to waterproof your setup - such as the use of the Aquapac products. There's other, more expensive, products available that provide protection against knocks and drops - have a look amongst the reviews particularly for those of the Otter products (which I can't find, trying to look for them to give you a link).

Meanwhile, I hope the weather smiles on you and you get to try out your new equipment. Enjoy!

David
hijacker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the orange light on your Clip-On go off when the battery charge is complete?

Mine's been on charge for over 6hrs and it's still on !! 8O

Does anyone know if these devices have any safety features built-in to stop the battery from being cooked Question
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orange light on mine seems to go off *before* it's fully charged. Or, if it *is* fully charged, then it reaches that state in only about 2 to 3 hours. This is the one area where the unit could really be improved.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: