Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 910 - a few questions from the beginner
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 910 - a few questions from the beginner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrzej123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 910 - a few questions from the beginner Reply with quote

Hi Friends,
I have bought TomTom Go 910 version 6.525.
1. I did not do a first backup and I lost some datas. Where can I get new "fresh partition image" - just like Tomtom right out of the box has?
2.I can't see my POI category. I can add them but I can see them afterwards on the list. Maybe any file is corrupted or something?
3.Why in TomTom 910 I have not voice warning when I drive over the speed limit? My colleague has got Bluemedia 6380 and it has this feature?
4. Sometimes when I driving in the villige or town I can see the sign - speed limit 30. My TomTom does not recognise it and says that limit is for example 60. Is is possible to correct it?

I would be very grateful if somebody could help me, please.
Regards
Andrzej123
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You say you have lost some 'data' and you need the software, but later on you describe it working. Could you please clarify this.

The only way to get it to a 'straight out of the box' state would have been with a Full Backup.

You can get the software from TT, using HOME, and it is free.

2. You say that you can add POI categories but can't see them, presumably to use them. How are you adding them? Where are you putting them?

3. TomTom don't use an audible warning when you drive over a speed that it thinks is correct for that road. You can only set an Audible Warning for the POIs.

4. Do you mean that you see a 30 sign on the TT or on the roadside? If TT thinks that there is a 60 limit on that road, which is actually 30, this is due to inaccurate Map Data. This is something that most users complain about.

There is no way that it can be user amended.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
andrzej123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for reply.

1. I have difficulties do add new category of POI. It says it is stored but I can't see it on the POI list ( it is not diplayed).

2. Where Favourities and Recent destinations are stored? What is the name of this file? I am asking because if I must transfer my Favourities and Recent destinations -to another Tomtom how can I find it, please?

3. Does Tomtom Go 710 have this feature that can warn when I am driving over the speed limit?
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. in the file MapSetting.cfg file
3. Not really. There is some embedded speed data in the maps and if you are displaying speed, it will flash red in the bottom RH corner when you exceed that.
The problem is the data is often wrong
andrzej123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
2. So should I just copy MapSetting.cfg file and my Recent destinations and also Favourities will be transfered?

Which sat-nav model has best accuracy with maps and speed alerts?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2. So should I just copy MapSetting.cfg file and my Recent destinations and also Favourities will be transfered?

Yes but it will overwrite any Favourites already on that device.

Quote:
Which sat-nav model has best accuracy with maps and speed alerts?

It's play catch-up. One will be better until another is updated. They all appear to have various problems, getting better but I don't think you'll ever get perfection, unless no new roads are built or alterered.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new (at time of writing yet to be released) TomTom version 7 software offers a quite innovative approach to out of date maps, the user can add/ change certain attributes, these can then be shared with other users.
This should sort out the speed limit issue where it wrong in a very fast way, other additions such as new roads, or junctions/ roundabouts etc I am not too sure about to be honest, but this is a major step in the right direction for up to date information IF policed and used correctly - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This should sort out the speed limit issue where it wrong in a very fast way, other additions such as new roads, or junctions/ roundabouts etc I am not too sure about to be honest, but this is a major step in the right direction for up to date information IF policed and used correctly - Mike
So it looks like there could be another PGPSW database on the horizon.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see the connection to be honest - the PGPSW speed camera database is establised and proven to contain good valid data, the TT maps contain speed limit information that is very poor in places, having hundreds/ thousands of users updating the mistakes should sort this issue out (I hope).
For example Southbound from North Lakes earlier today I was nagged by a red flashing speed limit even when travelling at 70MPH - the whole stretch is still wrong! - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I fail to see the connection to be honest

Quote:
IF policed and used correctly

I was thinking, especially in view of the success of the PGPSW Safety Camera database, that if incorrect information could be sent to PGPSW and verified, everyone would benefit from everyone elses input, as with the camera database. I'm not sure if it could be done but it was the first thing I thought of. Not that it would affect me as I've moved away from TT. :D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
if incorrect information could be sent to PGPSW and verified, everyone would benefit from everyone elses input, as with the camera database.

As far as I know, TomTom are going to keep a tight hold on this data. you can send it to them, and you can download it from them (with various options of how much verification is done). There's no way we can share it except through them (although that looks pretty good).

It's not even certain that they are going to share it with TeleAtlas!
andrzej123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much to ALL of You for replies and Your time.

As MikeAlder said:

mikealder wrote:
The new (at time of writing yet to be released) TomTom version 7 software offers a quite innovative approach to out of date maps, the user can add/ change certain attributes, these can then be shared with other users.

Is it (or will be) accessible this Software version 7 for TomTom Go 910 ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually.
It will be released on the new 520 and 720 models first, but should be made available for all the older models sometime later (before Xmas is my guess).
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure if it could be done but it was the first thing I thought of

Quote:
As far as I know, TomTom are going to keep a tight hold on this data. you can send it to them, and you can download it from them (with various options of how much verification is done). There's no way we can share it except through them (although that looks pretty good).

I should have guessed or read all the details. Stop it!
andrzej123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed POICapture on my Go 910. When I want to add a camera I receive message:"Failed to add POI".
Any suggestions , please.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: