Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI's - in the distance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI's - in the distance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: POI's - in the distance Reply with quote

Often I see reference in a mag or on a forum to a location that might be worth a visit. In the past I have put those onto a pushpin in Autoroute. What I would like is for TomTom to let me know when I am close to this location so that when touring in the MotorHome we can do a detour.

I believe that I can transfer the pushpin files from Autoroute to TT with some suitable software but I don't see how TT could notify me of 'being close' to that location.

I use Checkpoint but , as far as I can see, it only tells me when I am within up to 60 seconds of a POI on my current route. The problem with this is that I want to know when I am perhaps 30 miles away so that I can reroute so Checkpoint doesn't help much in that case.

I appreciate that the map view in TT shows POI's but in the Navigator screen , which we would normally use, the scale doesn't allow us to see anything outside the immediate few hundred metres.

I need something which does what Checkpoint does but also gives me longer distance notification. Is there anything around that would do that for me?

I can understand that this would be difficult to display without changing the map scale but perhaps a simple text alert on screen would be all it would take.

Roy
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy, unfortunately you have hit the nail squarely on the head there.

CoPilot has a feature which customises it's POI detection so you could say if you are within 5 or 10 miles, it would notify you of where it was and then you could add it as a new route quickly, but unfortunately TomTom Navigator 2 doesn't currently have a feature like this, and CheckPOInt can't be configured to notify in large distances.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave - I feared that might be the case.

Any hopes for TomTom 15?

Roy
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom will be announcing their latest version on or prior to CeBit in March, so there may be an option in there, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: