Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps of Ireland for Garmin 350
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps of Ireland for Garmin 350
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Maps of Ireland for Garmin 350 Reply with quote

I saw one thread on this forum back in may of 2006 asking the same question. The answer back then was 9 months from now a suspected release of complete mapping of the south of Ireland. Does anyone know if this is true and if so where can I purchase a SD card of this complete map.

I searched Garmin site and they still have the old version with Blackrock, Bray, Cahereiveen, Cork, Count Kerry, Dublin, Galway, Glenageary, Greystones, Kilarney, Limerick, Lucan, Malahide, Waterford, and Wichlow.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Navteq have released much more complete mapping data of Ireland, but I do not know whether or not the Garmin v9 mapping includes that data or not. If it doesn't, it will still be a few months away before we see it.
Paddywack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that the v9 mapping in Ireland is significantly better than the previous version and is close to full coverage - no mapping is ever 100% mainly due to the delay in getting new roads mapped and tested. Ireland is bundled with the UK when sold on a SD card.
chapster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for this info. I saw this site.
Has a DVD of all of Europe V9 for pretty cheep price $222 it's $299 on Garmin. Do you need to unlock it when you buy it or can I just transfer it over to an SD card and pop it into my Nuvi 350 and it will work.
If I have to unlock it does this the unlock code come with the DVD when you buy it.

I just don't want to buy it and not be able to use it.
Thanks for your help
Edit once to sort out hyper-link - mikealder
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapster,

Garmin sent me the CD of Mapsource Europe v9 Upgrade and I got an upgraded (v7 to v9) unlock key from Garmin for about £50.

They claim 100% coverage of the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. From what I can see of the map detail in remote areas I know well, their claim is correct, though I haven't driven extensively in Ireland since I got v9.

I'm not sure if you need to buy the maps on a card or if you can buy the Mapsource CD Upgrade and then install the maps you want using your PC. Maybe someone here will know or you can write to Garmin and ask them.
chapster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone bought the DVD from anywhere else but Garmin. It's much cheeper from This Site

but the problem is i'm not sure if I need to unlock it and if the unlock code comes with the DVD.
Edit Once to sort out hyper link text - MikeAlder
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapster wrote:
Has anyone bought the DVD from anywhere else but Garmin. It's much cheeper from this site . . . .

How is it cheaper on that site, at $221.99, than a free DVD + £50 for the unlock code from Garmin? Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
Paddywack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How is it cheaper on that site, at $221.99, than a free DVD + £50 for the unlock code from Garmin?

I wonder what postage would cost - it seems that they don't do Europe?
Customs may also be payable if the package is inspected on arrival into the EU Sad

If you are based "across the big pond" Idea I would ignore all of these comments as you would have to buy the mapping from somewhere.
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that V9 (Navteq Q2 2006 maps) has every Irish road I have driven on including some very obscure 'boreens' or dirt tracks.

It has all the 1000s of hamlets and townlands that are dotted across the island.

It's not 100% but then again it never will be.

Garmin customer service has put V10 being released around the end of the year although historically this has only been on new Nuvis – there is usually a three month wait for the actual Map DVDs to be released.
chapster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita if you are in the United States and you don't already have the Europe maps installed then you can't do the upgrade. You have to buy the entire City Navigator NT Europe V9 and then install that on your Garmin or on your external SD card. If you happen to live in Europe and bought your Garmin about a year ago then you would have Navigator NT Europe V8 already installed and you would just have to do the upgrade which you mentioned was 50 poundes if you are in the UK.

The full version DVD on the Garmin site is $299.99
The full version on the site I posted is $221.99
This is clearly cheaper by $78
Again this is if you are in the US.

So my question again is to all US folk did anyone every purchase from this site http://www.beachaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=100095&GCID=C12585x003&GTKW=0101088700&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=100095&utm_content=AD_ID&utm_campaign=froogle
If so did they get an unlocked code with the DVD or does it need one?

Thanks to everyone for there input on how detailed the V9 maps are. They sound great. Smile
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, chapster. Didn't know you were in the United States. There's no location in your profile, and you haven't mentioned it in any of your posts.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Sorry, chapster. Didn't know you were in the United States.

Sorry Chapster I presumed you were in the EU too. Confused Click the link that says Profile and you can enter a location so you don't confuse us! Wink
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can positively confirm that SW Ireland mapping on V9 is complete and accurate as far as my own recent trip is concerned. The trip covered Rosslare to Cork, the Beara, Ring of Kerry and Dingle peninsulas. As has been mentioned elsewhere in these forums some of the routing (for a truck as the nearest to a 6m long, 3m high, 2.5m wide motorhome!) was bizarre and we travelled many roads where we took the full road width. As far as I could see almost all of the roads that we saw were mapped.

On both quickest and shortest routing options the 660 has a tendency to take you off from a main road onto a side road if it will save 10 metres. In Ireland I could discern no difference between quickest and shortest.

After the first few hours of travelling ETA's became very accurate, showing that it acquires "experience" of average speeds. Curiously on return to Wales and England ETA's remained accurate using M4.

Hope this info helps.
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspiredron,

AFAIK the choice of vehicle types has nothing to do with road sizes; vehicle types relate to ETA times for the GPS.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevmac YTY wrote:
Inspiredron,

AFAIK the choice of vehicle types has nothing to do with road sizes; vehicle types relate to ETA times for the GPS.

Sorry if I was not clear. I am aware that vehicle type only affects ETA and was using the example to reinforce the bizarreness that there is no inbuilt preference within the software for wider or more major roads for Trucks and buses. Others have expressed surprise that the units will try to take you off a main road onto a side road to save a very short distance, even in quickest route mode. All this is surprising since road category and some information on road width is (within very broad limits) part of the maps because the unit shows road width graphically on the display! I do appreciate that this is probably based on "class" of road rather than actual road width but the two are reasonably well (but not invariably) correlated. One might hope that a software update could address this - either directly or by introducing routing preference options.

I have also noted that the "off road" option draws a straight line from current position to destination. I really question the value of that!

But, despite these drawbacks, the units are really pretty good!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: