Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need LOTS of advice please......
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need LOTS of advice please......
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noobiest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Need LOTS of advice please...... Reply with quote

Hello,

I am going to be travelling around mainland Europe with my TTone ( mainly a swing down through France, hit Portugal, around the costas in Spain and then back? ) We will be leaving in the first week of September and be abroad for about 6 weeks.

I am Canadian, and have NO clue of what to expect about anything so I would really appreciate any tips as far as driving, what to see, where to stay etc etc. There are three of us, my daughter is 15.

In order to cut costs we will bring a tent and sleeping bags to stay the nights that we are in between places we intend to stay at for a week at a time, but will not be camping as such.

I also have some specific questions....

What will my TT One europe do for me as far as mapping? How accurate will it be and to what extent? Street level?

Should I purchase travel insurance for medical ?

Toll roads...are they costly/worth it?

Family hostels/ Do they exist?

Are there any specific databases I can/should download? (campsites for example )

There is probably lots more but that will do for now.

Please dont hesitate to make any suggestions as the fact of the matter is I have NO clue as to what I am getting myself in for.

Thanks for your help:)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a wide subject! I'll start the ball rolling...
I don't think you will be coming up against any serious national holidays during that time (accommodation, traffic problems).

When I did something similar, I started out with the very firm statement that we would NEVER be lost, NEVER take a wrong turning, quite simply because we made no firm itinerary and we would be going to wherever the car was pointing when we set off in the morning!

With a Satnav you can be much more accurate of course, but I'd suggest you choose to navigate "Avoid Motorways" whenever you have no great rush - that way you'll get to see more of the countryside rather than rush along the main arteries. You'll also avoid most tolls. You'll find Europe much smaller - our next door neighbours are mostly a few feet away (I once met a Canadian who said hers were two hours drive away). Roads may be slower than yours, I really don't know, but you should get quite some distance in a day unless you are dawdling. You could dawdle from top of France to Spain in three days very comfortably. Motels on German and Austrian Autobahns are excellent - good quality food (self service choice) good rooms, private and self contained. Austrian and Swiss Autobahns/motorways require you to purchase a carnet to use them, then there are no further tolls.

A good idea would be to resolve to start looking for a motel/hotel at about 5pm daily and you should get a reasonable room for up to 100 Euros, perhaps including breakfast.

I've never been to Spain or Portugal, deliberately, because I've heard bad things about their motoring and accidents and insurance. Italian drivers are maniacs who own the road so get out of their way!!

Yes, do get insurance for anything you can think of - medical, breakdown, you name it. It shouldn't cost a fortune and will only be needed on an occasion when the lack of it would cost you a fortune.

No toll roads in Germany, Austria (except carnet mentioned above) Switzerland (carnet again). I always managed to avoid them in France and Italy (except when I made a mistake).

My TT Europe (not a ONE) was very good, street level for all the countries - yours needs to be the Europe one. Give it a try - see if you can Navigate to Paris, Rue De Malte, and Barcelona, Carrer Del Comte D'urgell.

Unless you will already have an itinerary, a paper road atlas would also be useful for choosing a destination town.

Things you may or may not be interested to see in northern France:
    Bayeux Tapestry
    D Day beaches
    War graves
    Calvados
    Cider
    Schlumberger museum!

Best for you to tell folk here the sort of things you like before you get any more daft suggestions!!

Good luck and watch this space for all the people who can really offer some useful information and advice.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my bit.

Quote:
What will my TT One europe do for me as far as mapping? How accurate will it be and to what extent? Street level?

If you have the France, or France plus, map then you'll find Street level excellent. Although many villages/hamlets won't have house numbers but you'll find the street/road OK.

Quote:
Should I purchase travel insurance for medical ?

Yes, don't go without it.

Quote:
Toll roads...are they costly/worth it?

Yes they are worth it if you want to get A to B quickly. The Toll (Peage) Roads have a 130 kph speed limit and most of the time they are virtually empty, except during the morning and evenings when passing large towns/cities and people are going to and from work, when it can become a bit hair raising. Most heavy goods vehicles are banned from French Roads on Sundays and it certainly makes a difference.

Quote:
Family hostels/ Do they exist?

Google Campanile Hotels, they usually cost arround €35-40 per room per night (sleeps two). You pay for the evening meal but breakfast, eat all you like, is no extra charge.

Quote:
Are there any specific databases I can/should download? (campsites for example )

Google viaMichelin where you may find what you want. You should at least be able to get a list and save some as favourites.

Three things you will have to look out for are

1. The roundabouts are mostly give way to vehicles already on the roundabout, although there are still some where you give way to vehicles entering the roundabout, I believe these are now few and far between.

2. Priority right. In France it used to be you had to give way to any vehicle appearing from roads on your right but that has changed and is now found mainly in Cities/Towns/Hamlets. The sign to watch for is a Yellow Diamond, edged in white, which means you have the priority. However, should the same sign have a black diagonal line crossing it, you do not have the priority and must give way to traffic appearing from roads on your right. Slow down and keep alert because they can, and do, drive straight out into your path. Should there be an accident it will be YOUR fault.

3. Autoroutes are usually 130 kph but this is reduced to 110 kph when raining and the road is wet. Non toll motorways are usually 110 kph. On most other roads there is a 90 kph limit. Towns/Hamlets have a speed limit of 50 kph but there will be no 50 signs. As you enter a town/hamlet the name sign tells you it's 50 kph, as you leave the town/hamlet there will be another name sign with a black diagonal line crosssing it, this tells you the speed limit is once again 90 kph. All the above is true except for a few occasions where the limit is lower, but there will be signs showing this.

There is a site I've found for Americans in France, LOOK HERE but it will also be OK for you.

One last thing. If you are overtaking in the outside lane, keep your indicator on until you plan to move back over a lane or two. If you switch it off too early they will think you are moving over and accelerate and your rear view mirror will be filled with a Peugeot, Citroen or Renault. :P

Enjoy your trip.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Toll roads...are they costly/worth it?

[i]Yes they are worth it if you want to get A to B quickly. The Toll (Peage) Roads have a 130 kph speed limit and most of the time they are virtually empty, except during the morning and evenings when passing large towns/cities and people are going to and from work, when it can become a bit hair raising. Most heavy goods vehicles are banned from French Roads on Sundays and it certainly makes a difference."

Well - try driving down the A7 any summer day!

But if you want to explore France, stay on the extensive D road network - they really are relatively empty except near large towns, and you will see so much more of the real France.

I have used TomTom One Europe extensively in France, and the coverage is excellent. The latest maps covering Portugal are also pretty good. I am told that coverage in Spain is virtually complete.

If you don't have a specific deadline, the best advice is to potter around during the day, stopping to explore wherever your fancy takes you. Then, mid afternoon, decide where you want to stay the next night and enter it into TomTom to navigate you there.

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second the view on the French peage. Well worth the fee.
We too used to camp overnight for the odd stopover but now favour the inexpensive motels like Mr Bed.

For a non-EU resident medical insurance is essential.

One thing thats caught us out more than once is the long French lunch break. Non-motorway petrol stations mostly close for 2 hours.
There are 24 hour automatic ones, but mostly they don't seem take non-French creditcards.

We found the current TomTom Western & Central Europe v675 map far superior to the others during our recent euro trip.
Do take paper maps too.
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Noobiest,

It looks like you already have quite a few good bits of advice here, but I’ll just add mine as well…

We drove to the South of France in the summer of 1998 and it was one of the best holidays of my life. Here are a few things we picked up along the way to remember in case we ever did it again:

The main roads are quite long, straight and boring so, especially with a teenager in the car, you may want to take regular stops. There are rest areas along the roads – look out for ‘Aire de Repos’ or ‘Aire de Services.’ These can range from quite basic to good. If you are in the most basic ones, watch out for the toilets…

If you order any burgers or steak or meat in France (particularly at the roadside services), expect it to be quite pink if you don’t state that you want it well done.

Be aware that when you get to a certain point along the route, the heat will hit you. I am not 100% sure what it will be like in September but in August we experienced the hottest temperatures we’d ever experienced. Mind you, considering we had repeatedly been to Newquay (Cornwall, UK) for our summer holidays previous to this trip, that isn’t saying much! You WILL need suncream and a hat.

Keep change handy for the toll roads if you use them. If you have the exact money ready you can go through the express aisles and just throw the change into a net. If you don’t have the correct money and need change, you will need to queue up behind the other drivers to be served by a human being.

Have a go at speaking French if you can, even if it’s only the odd few words. The shop owners (particularly if you avoid the supermarchés and visit the out-of-the-way boutiques) will appreciate it and will probably speak to you in French anyway.

I can’t vouch for tents and campsites along the route as we stayed in the Campanile Motels as previously mentioned in this thread. We found them to be very reasonable in terms of cost and comfort and the all-you-can-eat Continental breakfast was superb!

We stayed at a Eurocamp site in St. Raphael for our main holiday, which was excellent for families and teenagers – plenty to do. We visited St. Tropez, Cannes and Monte Carlo during our stay. These places are well worth a visit if you can fit them into your schedule.

Lastly, I would always recommend taking out the appropriate insurance, medical and otherwise. Chances are that the one time you don’t bother with it, you will need it!

Bon Voyage! CoPilot

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Noobiest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys....keep it coming.

I should have also said that we are British residents,so we are covered by the recipricol health agreement. Does that help?

Also, what do you suggest as far as money matters?

Again, please speak to me as though I am a child because I seem to lack some of the "common knowledge" things that the average Brit might posess.

I looked up "Campanile Hotels". They look reasonable, quoted me at 64 Euro a night. Mr Bed has limited hotels. Please pass on any cheap hotels that you know of as this will be our major expense.

We have absolutely ZERO itinerary as we have no idea what is worth seeing.The D-day beaches were all we came up with, and once we get down to the south of Spain we will use this website

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/index.htm and book some last minute accomodation week by week as we work our way up and around Spain towards Barcelona.

If all goes well maybe head as far up as Germany for Octoberfest?

Thanks people, this has been very usefull to us already....
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well - try driving down the A7 any summer day!

Have done on several occasions on route to Grasse and apart from when passing Marseilles, where it did get busy, the rest was fine. Same when passing Lyon.

Quote:
But if you want to explore France, stay on the extensive D road network - they really are relatively empty except near large towns, and you will see so much more of the real France.

Have to agree there but if you want to get from A to B quickly, the autoroutes are the way to go.

Formule 1 is similar to Campanile and I believe slightly cheaper but they are more basic.

Quote:
There are rest areas along the roads – look out for ‘Aire de Repos’ or ‘Aire de Services.’ These can range from quite basic to good. If you are in the most basic ones, watch out for the toilets…
They appear every 12 or 15 miles and usually alternate between those with petrol/diesl and a restaurant and those with picnic areas and toilets. As BoPeep said, watch the toilets, they are a 'hole in the floor' type. We usually use the disabled toilet as it as a 'proper' toilet.

Quote:
If you order any burgers or steak or meat in France (particularly at the roadside services), expect it to be quite pink if you don’t state that you want it well done.
Be aware that you may order 'horse' by mistake when ordering a steak, which is basically popped in the pan for about 30 seconds each side and when you cut it blood oozes out everywhere. If horse is cooked to medium or well done it becomes like eating 'old boots'. Done properly it is very tender and tasty, it was the blood on the plate which put me off.

Quote:
We visited St. Tropez, Cannes and Monte Carlo during our stay. These places are well worth a visit if you can fit them into your schedule.
If you do get that far down you could divert off the A8 and have a look at Nice, on route to Monaco and Monte Carlo. It's also worth visiting Grasse, just north of Cannes, to visit 'Fragonard le grand parfumeur de Grasse', where you can have a tour and learn how perfume is made. Some of the basic contents smell awful. About 8 miles East from Grasse is Gourdon, a village sitting nearly 2000 feet up where there is a viewpoint not to be missed. Another worth a visit is Gorge du Verdon, at Les Salles sur Verdon, the Grand Canyon of France.

Quote:
I should have also said that we are British residents,so we are covered by the recipricol health agreement. Does that help?
Recipricol as in 'one way only'. There are certain treatments which come under this but in most cases you would be liable for half or more.

As British residents you will probably be entitled to apply for the E111 medical card. It used to be a piece of paper from the post office but that has changed. Pop in to a post office and check if they still have the forms.

It's also worth taking out breakdown cover on your car. We usually go via the Tunnel and use their insurance cover. And don't foget your 'Green Card' for your car insurance.

A couple of other thing come to mind. You need a Red Triangle in the event of a breakdown, hazard lights are acceptable in France now but if they stop working, or are damaged because of a collision, you must have the triangle. You must also carry a set of spare bulbs in your car.

A fire extinguisher and a first aid kit are also recommened. The first aid kit is a good idea in France as you are obliged to assist anyone injured in an acccident.

I haven't been to Spain but I seem to recall reading you must wear a yellow/orange high visibilty vest when leaving your vehicle whilst on a motorway, one for each person. Keep them in the car not the boot because if you get out of the car to retrieve it from the boot, you have broken the law. (I'm not 100% certain with this but no doubt someone will confirm one way or the other).
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with driving in France and Spain.

Campaniles are cheap and have a pretty good restaurant on site (Friday night will need booking in the restaurant)

Try also the Logis de France hotels. These are restaurants with rooms and are private hotels with a central booking organisation and standards. A bit more expensive than Campanile. Avoid Formule 1 unless desperate!! The basic facilities attract "basic" clients...

Try adding the www.scdb.info/en/ speed cameras to your TomTom

All of Europe (except UK and some Scandinavian countries) use the Euro. We take a few with us and get more from the cash machines as needed. They take a debit card or a credit card. We top up the current account before we go and use the debit card. The UK based Nationwide Building Society has a bank that is the cheapest for drawing money overseas - no commission!!

Toll roads will take debit or credit cards. DO NOT use foreign cards in the CB Carte Bancaire lanes, they only work with local cards. Just hand your card to the person at the cash kiosk, they will swipe it and hand it back with a receipt. Some in Spain need a PIN.

Spain needs anyone getting out of a car on an Autovia or Autopista to wear a yellow hi-vis jacket. Keep it in the car. The police will fine you if you leave the car without it, even to get it from the boot/trunk. If you need spectacles for driving, you need a spare pair in the car in Spain. Also a second red warning triangle.

Use the PoIs on this site to download the supermarket locations to the ONE. Buying fuel anywhere else is throwing money away.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of good advice above so I won't repeat it .. Smile

another source of POI's is GPS Pasion - French equivalent(ish) of PGPSW:

Speed cameras - free - ( 6000 + cameras in France)

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7759

Speed cameras "plus" - you have to join and pay ...

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=157

shopping, including hypermarkets that do fuel :

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5644

France is a great place with warm and friendly folks, once you get out of the cities - won't tell you my opinion on Parisiennes - they will appreciate your trying to speak French and will correct you slowly and nicely if you try.

If you do the "speak english but louder" trick you will just be faced with gallic shrugs even though they probably understand you ... what would you do if someone shouted at you in a foriegn language back home ??

As to driving .. French drivers are very "positive".. they hate folks who don't know where they are going or what they are doing, if you ARE positive and do what you intend without "faffing" then driving in France is easy and relaxing, with one very important exception... signposts !!

It is rare for a turning in France to have more than one signpost, and that is ON the turn, not before, if you drive past the sign you have passed the turn 90% of the time !! They also often indicate "straight ahead" with a sign at about 30 degrees offset, looks like a slight turn but is not !! Once you get used to these it is not a problem, but for the first few .. watch out !!

We go to France for 2 weeks every year, and have done for 12 years ! We leave in 2 weeks, and we love the place.

Enjoy your holiday ... Bon Vacance
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noobiest wrote:

Also, what do you suggest as far as money matters?

Then you each need to get a European Health Insurance Card
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandguidance/Healthadvicefortravellers/index.htm

Usually we take 2-300 Euro cash and get any extra from cash machines, also pay for many things using card as in UK. Haven't used travellers cheques for years.

One warning, beware of waistline expansion due to 4 course menus.

For really good cheap blowout look for Routiers where truckers go.
Usually just off Autoroute sometimes with motel attached.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noobiest wrote:

The E111 form which used to provide evidence of health cover has been replaced by the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) which is now a plastic credit style card. You can apply on-line HERE if you are entitled but this should never replace travel insurance. if you are badly injured you'll be treated but matters such as repatriation etc are not covered so get travel insurance.

You don't say if you are hiring a car or driving your own, if your won, get European break down insurance. You'll also need to obey the peculiarities of our European cousins traffic laws, e.g. You must carry a breakdown triangle, have dipped headlamp converters, carry a fluorescent jacket, spare bulbs etc. In Spain you must also carry a spare pair of glasses in the car if you wear them for driving.
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
... e.g. You must carry a breakdown triangle, have dipped headlamp converters, carry a fluorescent jacket, spare bulbs etc. In Spain you must also carry a spare pair of glasses in the car if you wear them for driving.

All accurate, but does anyone actually follow these anymore? Even the French guys I know don't bother.
Has anybody ever seen european drivers using headlamp convertors in UK?

Mostly driving in euroland is pretty safe except for Italy where we saw accidents most days.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
All accurate, but does anyone actually follow these anymore? Even the French guys I know don't bother.
Has anybody ever seen european drivers using headlamp convertors in UK?.

I was stopped and fined for not having headlamp deflectors some years back and was warned for not having a GB Sticker!

Apparently only the UK have headlamps which 'dip' to the nearside, on the continent headlamps (so I'm informed) dip straight ahead so this issue is unique to us.

I'm off to France tomorrow morning as it happens and have just affixed my fancy headlamp deflectors and GB Sticker although I since discovered that the new EU number plates are sufficient these days! I also have first aid kit, warning triangle, spare bulbs, HV Vest and spare glasses so this time I hope to get away without a chat from the Gendarmerie or Police Nationale Smile
Noobiest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dipped headlamps?

Embarassed

Please explain.

Where do I find a Gb sticker?

Extra bulbs? For my turn signals?

I dont have a lot of time tonight but I assure you I will be taking notes on your experience in the morning. You guys are really a lot of help. Thank you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: