Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM GO 710 Custom POI Issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM GO 710 Custom POI Issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get te POI files from? - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaskel wrote:
what more do you want me to tell you, all is ok, filenames are correct, files are all in!! not much more I can really do.
Like I said before "Magic Word"? Stop it! plain simple and honestly spoken. I used to have a wife like that - three (magic) words she NEVER used - Please, Thankyou and Sorry. All the help these guys gave you and all they get from you is almost monosyllabic crypto speak!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jaskel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Now back on topic thanks;

Mike, I got them from a site that is local here, a few of my mates have the same files from the same site and they alkll work fine., i think it is my tom tom
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaskel wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Mike, I got them from a site that is local here, a few of my mates have the same files from the same site and they alkll work fine., i think it is my tom tom
Back on topic, but still monosyllabic and not on song! Looking at your signature (as opposed to your profile location which is blank), might we guess that "local here" isn't here, but there? You got the POIs from Joe's corner POI shop in Alice Springs, not the internet? These guys are really trying but they can't wring information out of you.

Download drivez from here and do them a dump of what you've got in your map folder, then they can inspect it minutely and find your problem.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaskel wrote:
mikealder wrote:

Which, incidently, was one of the questions I asked on Monday.
Good luck Mike.
jaskel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look, Andy, please keep your comments constructive or dont post at all. I have helped people on here before and I have been helped and appreciated it 150%.

I dont mean to be rude but im sorta over hearing shoulda woulda coulda....i admit i missed that question but i am trying to fix it.

Dennis,

I will get the tom tom from outta the car tomorrow as it is nearly snowing and close to midnight so ill wait ;) Laughing Out Loud

but thanks again for yall help thus far ;)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go digging at Andy. He's one of the most helpful people on this site and from a comparison of number of posts, you'll maybe guess he's done a fair bit more of it than you!!

Remember, when somebody asks, give them the answer - I may stand to be corrected, but as far as I can remember, the only question you've answered so far is putting your location in your profile. Even that is not very valuable - we have other equally helpful members down under and they'll all volunteer to call round tonight to sort it for you. They all live in Down Under, a town pretty close to down under I believe.

Don't you have the Abominable Snowman in down under - I was glad I didn't leave my satnav in the car overnight, or he'd have pinched it a couple of weeks ago. Advice from a horrible old man - Don't leave your satnav out in the car overnight unless you are confident the nearest living thing within 200 miles is called Skippy.

jaskel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well yes he is but taking digs at me doesnt help..all I want to do is keep this on topic ok!

geez lets all chill and help each other..

as for what have I done on this site..well certainly helped alot when drivesmart went a ss up and they will vouch for that.

As for taking a dig at Australia..i wouldnt say too much, UK has turned into a mini belfast ...Laughing Out Loud
jaskel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys, i finally got a screen capture...here it is;

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few P & Q's wouldn't g a miss (hint hint)
To get to the bottom of this try posting a screen shot of the actual map folder as this will give us a better clue/ view of what is wrong -Mike
jaskel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here ya go...its the Aussie map folder, let me know if there is anything else u need me to post up

cheers

Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtually all your .bmp files have a different name to the corresponding .ov2 file. E.g. Ampol_Fuel.ov2 and Ampol_Fuel[1].bmp. First of all, edit the names of the .bmp files to remove the [1] (i.e. to Ampol_Fuel.bmp).

Some of your .ov2 files don't have a corresponding .bmp at all (e.g. Red_Light_Cameras.ov2. Where is Red_Light_Cameras.bmp?)

I'm not sure whether this will have any impact or not, but I notice that some of your speed cam .bmp files have australia spelled in lower case, but the corresponding .ov2 have Australia with a capital A. It might be worth ensuring that these are consistent to help remove any doubt.

I assume the files such as Safety_Cam_90_Australiaov2..., which is listed as a VER file, were just part of the download from the website you obtained the files from in the first place. I believe these particular files are unnecessary.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, you've got it WRONG, at least in SOME places.
I DID ask you to provide file information by using DRIVEZ, which does a proper job whereas your screen dumps are almost illegible!!

Anyway, I notice the following relevant bits.

1. You have a certain number of files with .ver extension. That is normally the extension added to one of the set of cameras issued preloaded by Tom Tom - you get three files per camera type e.g.
safetycam_australia_70.bmp,
safetycam_australia_70.ov2,
safetycam_australia_70.ver.
So for starters, it looks like you have the pre-installed Tom Tom cameras for Australia, and those cameras are NOT configurable as far as bings, bongs or any other warning sound ALSO the warning distance is not configurable either. However, the files don't look right to me, because it is normal that the filename must be identical, with the differences being only the extensions bmp, ov2 and ver. But in each case that I can barely read, the bmp file has lower case "a" for Australia, whereas the other two files have upper case "A". I'm no expert with Tom Tom cameras, but I would normally assume that such a difference would mean the camera Icon would not show up.

2. You have some other POIs. For example Shellfuel.ov2, for which the .bmp file appears to be called Shellfuel(1).bmp (that's a different name also). Looking at all of them, so far as I can see, you really have a complete mess of POIs in there.

Now, your best bet is to delete every single POI you have in there, including the similar .ov2, .bmp and .ver where appropriate and start all over again (but this might lose the Tom Tom cameras for you) downloading afresh.

You might be better off, BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER WITH DELETING AND FUMBLING AROUND if you looked back along this thread to where I posted you a link to DriveZ and used that to show us properly the contents of you Australia map folder - I'm going squint-eyed trying to read what you've got in those screen dumps.

jaskel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well ill start off by again saying thank you, I renamed the files and added a few and what do you know...all work fine now, I cant understand why even the preloaded tomtom speed camera files wer wrong...top marks for tomtom there

So again thanks guys, all working now and fine.

Cheers

Jason

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: