Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Tuner (and other pocket PC roundup)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Tuner (and other pocket PC roundup)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichChestmat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: GPS Tuner (and other pocket PC roundup) Reply with quote

Has anyone tried GPS Tuner for the PocketPC? http://www.gpstuner.com

It seems to be easier to use and cheaper than Ozi and comes with a Map Calibration program that is quite easy to use. It also seems to connect to a Microsoft mapping site (not Virtual Earth) and capture pre-calibrated maps in a variety of zooms. The interface is a little unusual but it looks good and does the job I think and as far as I can tell it can export to GPX and KML and can do POI stuff. The POI category icons are very US based and I'm not sure if you can add more.

I've got a week or so left on the demo but I will probably get this unless you guys tell me that it has major issues or that I really ought to be going with product X.

So far I have also tried Efficasoft GPS Utilities which is fast but the map display size is small.
Navio seems good but I've not been able to delve into that one yet.
As I said I found Ozi complicated but maybe I might regret taking that view when I get more comfortable with what I can do.
OutdoorGPS is a lovely program but a little buggy and has no support for any contextual mapping whatsoever.
Roadmap doesn't work at all (shame as it supports OpenStreetmap OSM files).
Nav4All is a bit fussy and I'm not sure about its topographical elements. Potentially a good street route finder until 2008.
Vito SmartNavigator is too tied to it's own map format and doesn't look like it has the functions of some of the above products.
For routing Smart2Go is free and has offline download of all the maps I need - but the licence server is never up so I can't purchase navigation and anyway it seems to have buggy direction detection as tracking my position often has me travelling sideways with forwards being just below the top right corner instead of dead ahead. It is also a street map program only.
Google Maps GMM is still the best route finder and local search for the UK were I don't have roaming data charges to worry about.

Now I've posted in this forum because I'm not sure where this should go so please Mod move as you see fit. I also wonder if the other products deserve their own threads where not otherwise mentioned on this site.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: