Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mitac Mio168 running TomTom5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mitac Mio168 running TomTom5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnwarner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Mitac Mio168 running TomTom5 Reply with quote

Hi there GPSers. I have a Mitac Mio168 on which I have successfully run TomTom 5 for some time. I have done this without a Speed Camera Database and software but I must get up-to-date. Would anybody please inform me as to the files to download from Pocketgpsworld and method of installing. I tried the the current download for tt5+ but the PDA froze completely until I uninstalled all files connected with this program. Would value and appreciate your help 8) Embarassed
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the TomTom .ov2 speed zoned files, unzip the folder and from the newly created folder copy and paste all the .ov2 and .bmp files into your Great Britain or Great Britain plus map folder.

Set up all your warnings for each camera.

e.g. 200 yards at 20 mph for a 20 second warning, 300 yards at 30 mph for a 30 second warning etc. For mobiles you need a miniumum of 440 yards and many people choose 880 yards.

Next time you download you only need to copy the .ov2 files over as the .bmp's will be the same, as will the warning set up.

The first time will take maybe 10 minutes but after that a couple and it's all done.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, you say you installed an "Application" this is most probably the POICapture utility for recording the position of cameras and is not the actual camera database.
First off you need to be a subscribed member of the site in order to access the downloads page - Mike
johnwarner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Download the TomTom .ov2 speed zoned files, unzip the folder and from the newly created folder copy and paste all the .ov2 and .bmp files into your Great Britain or Great Britain plus map folder.

Set up all your warnings for each camera.

e.g. 200 yards at 20 mph for a 20 second warning, 300 yards at 30 mph for a 30 second warning etc. For mobiles you need a miniumum of 440 yards and many people choose 880 yards.

Next time you download you only need to copy the .ov2 files over as the .bmp's will be the same, as will the warning set up.

The first time will take maybe 10 minutes but after that a couple and it's all done.

Many, many thanks Lost_Property for the time you have taken to make a very full and prompt explanation. I shall carry this out and let you know if I achieve the goal. Whilst cooking, I have been known to make a mess of cornflakes Smile
johnwarner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
John, you say you installed an "Application" this is most probably the POICapture utility for recording the position of cameras and is not the actual camera database.
First off you need to be a subscribed member of the site in order to access the downloads page - Mike

Thanks Mike, I am a subscribed member and I downloaded the POICapture utility in error due to my incompetance. The TomTom version is the early 5 therefore the utility would not work with it.
Thanks again
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The TomTom version is the early 5
I believe you can still get the free update to 5.21 software from the TT site.
johnwarner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
The TomTom version is the early 5
I believe you can still get the free update to 5.21 software from the TT site.

Absulutely correct and I did. Thanks again :D
johnwarner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thanks to Lost-Property and all others who have helped with my initial request. I have just returned home from an interesting day at the Hampton Court Flower Show, my updated Mio168 took me there with no problems, even letting me know about the POI's en-route so my goal was achieved.
Edit once Mike Alder - see final post in thread
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further info for John Warner:If i remember you cannot use The ogg voice files on ttn5 only on ttn6, I think you have to use the new Data.chk voice files and rename old data.chk files to something like data.chk.old to preserve it. It does work quite well on the Mio 168.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj you remembered incorrectly Sad

The ogg file voice warnings work on TomTom Navigator version 5,0 5,1 and 5,21 its only the TomTom Mobile 5 platform and some Palm devices it doesn't work with Wink

Have a read of This Thread from the FAQ page which details the ogg file installation, set-up and test - Mike
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Mike, you get to a certain age and your thoughts perhaps overtake your memory, but thanks I have gone past the data.chk stage now, but still usefull to others.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a fair bit of editing the false accusations, calls for apologies and such like have been removed, I would like to keep this thread open so that John can further benefit from the experienced forum users. - Mike
johnwarner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
After a fair bit of editing the false accusations, calls for apologies and such like have been removed, I would like to keep this thread open so that John can further benefit from the experienced forum users. - Mike

Thanks Mike, there is so much wisdom to be drawn on in the Forum that I appreciate and welcome your decision to keep my topic open at least for a while, a time during which other 'Beginners' could take advantage of the excellent advice that I have received. I would like to forget the unpleasantness of certain replies and move on.
Thanks again
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Many thanks for being understanding of the position - I just think this thread needed to move on so to speak.

Have you had a read of the FAQ link in my previous reply, one of the entries details the Spoken POI alerts - well worth considering - Mike
johnwarner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
John, Many thanks for being understanding of the position - I just think this thread needed to move on so to speak.

Have you had a read of the FAQ link in my previous reply, one of the entries details the Spoken POI alerts - well worth considering - Mike

Mike, yes thanks, I did look at the FAQ link as suggested. I downloaded and installed the 'Spoken POI Alerts'(.ogg files) successfully and quite easily. Perhaps I am thinking a little more clearly. Just a word about te Forum; I am quite amazed at the speed of response to posts and of course, grateful for the advice therein. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: