Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New here -C510d, does it come with speed cam database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New here -C510d, does it come with speed cam database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddw86
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: New here -C510d, does it come with speed cam database? Reply with quote

Hey, well today i purchased my first Sat Nav system - Garmin Streetpilot c510 Deluxe

Now the guy in the store said it came with speed cameras, and on the box it also says this. However after a little delving i cant seem to find this anywere on the device. i think i can get speed cameras but only for a 90 day trial and then have to pay. Is this correct?

So am i being stupid and missing it, or missing how to install it or have i been missold?

Please respond as i need the speed camera database importantly as moving and working in a whole new area hundreds of miles away and dont want to be caught out in unfamiliar roads, speed limits etc. Sad

Thanks.
highlander317
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the same unit back in Feb this year. Mine did not have the speed cams installed but like you say you can have 90 days free subscription of the garmin database but when i compared this to the database available from this site the garmin info is really out of date. I get speed warnings on roads that are 40 limit and the last time any cams were on this part of the road was about 9-10 years ago bloody annoying when you travel up this road a few times a day. I also found the traffic info a waste of time to get any info i have to travel best part of 30 miles to get anything and just yesterday i got stuck near lakeside thurrock, essex on the A13 M25 junction for about an hour and never got a signal there either. Overall ive found it a reliable unit with the pocket gpsworld speed cams and with the addition of other poi's like BP garages and maccy d's.
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: new here-c510d does it come with speed cam database ? Reply with quote

Hi, I've had a c510 since Feb. this year, I took the 90 day free trial, but almost immediately joined this site for £19 a year, downloaded the speed zoned set and after asking a few questions on these forums and getting good advice I get good results and find it very easy to download updates,so why pay £40 or whatever for the Garmin cameras. The only thing I could not do was put voices on, I don't think they work on the c510, but after thinking about it I don't think I want them anyway, the warning bleeps are adequate. The only minor problem I find is that I can't find a way to alter warning distance, it is too far for gatsos although for other types I suppose it is better to know in time.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: new here-c510d does it come with speed cam database ? Reply with quote

chrisb80 wrote:
... The only thing I could not do was put voices on, I don't think they work on the c510, but after thinking about it I don't think I want them anyway, the warning bleeps are adequate...The only minor problem I find is that I can't find a way to alter warning distance...

See this thread or this thread for ways to alter the warning distances.

Also, see this Webpage for details of how to add the Text-to-Speech voices to your C510 (you may have to 'downgrade' your firmware). You can't however, use anything other than the built-in 'bleeps' with your alerts - this requires the MP3 player functionality, and no-one's managed to unlock that yet.
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: New here-c510d does it come with speed cam database? Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Phil, will give it a try.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: