Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cannot install v675 Central_Western Map to GO 700 - Help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot install v675 Central_Western Map to GO 700 - Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_marsden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Cannot install v675 Central_Western Map to GO 700 - Help! Reply with quote

Hi all, first post so go easy please :D !

Have a Go 700 running 6.52 software and previously had v568 of Euro may that originally cam e with device. Am off to Spain in a week and thought i'd "treat myself" so the new all encompassing map.

Downloaded map through Home and due to size of map and the 2.3 Gb limit on hard drive deleted old maps (backed up first thank goodness!)

When I come to install any map I get an error messgae in Home alluding to the file being corrupt. Bizarrely I get this with the phone database update as well!

Tomtom support have been very helpful and have provided a couple of alternatives including copying direct to hard drive using winzip etc. Winzip tells me the file is corrupted.

I have uninstalled and redownloaded Home and am stuck as to what to do next.

Apologies for the verbosity of the post but any help / ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Paul
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot install v675 Central_Western Map to GO 700 - Help Reply with quote

paul_marsden wrote:
Tomtom support have been very helpful and have provided a couple of alternatives including copying direct to hard drive using winzip etc. Winzip tells me the file is corrupted.

It does seem the download is corrupt so you probably have no alternative but to redownload it, but will TT allow you to do that?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say TomTom have given you a couple of alternatives, bo you mean that they have actually sent you the map again by a different method?
If not, and you're still struggling with the same download, then it certainly seems to be a corrupt download. I thought you should be able to download again with Home for a year or so though?

If they've sent you the map again, and it's still a problem, it sounds like your computer might be the problem? Is it a PC or Mac? Have you tried disabling any Firewalls and virus checkers?
I'm afraid I haven't got any better thoughts, but if you can supply as much info as you can about exactly what kit you've got, what steps you did and where it went wrong, it might jog someone's memory, or light a mental lightbulb somewhere!

I think the most important question is whether you can download again.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you delete the old map? I found insufficient room on my 700 doing the same thing. The problem was that the hard disc is seen as a separate drive by my computer - a Mac. On the Mac each drive has a separate Trash (Recycle Bin on windows). So just deleting the map sent it to the Trash which was still taking up room on the drive. Once the Trash was emptied (with the GO connected to the computer, so it was seen), all went well.

But you still might have a corrupt download, but less likely if you get corruption with other stuff.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to redownload from TT website, you need to get rid of TT Home's record of the download which hasn't worked - at present, it will be thinking you've downloaded the new map, so you won't get the opportunity to download it again.

Using Windows Explorer, you should be able to achieve this safely by temporarily (in case I'm talking BS!!) renaming the map download.

On my computer, it is :-
C\Documents & Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Tom Tom\HOME\Downloads\Western_and_Central_Europe.cab

I suggest you rename this by simply adding an extra W before Western, or change cab to crab.
Do similar renaming (same location) with
great_britain_postal_teleatlas_701.cab AND
nederland_postal_teleatlas_701.cab

Then go try downloading again. If you get new downloads that work, you can later delete the renamed files above.

I suggest you wait a little while for somebody else to agree that this could be a solution - I may be a useless old man!

Back up everything first, before you move, using Windows Explorer to copy everything off your 700 into a directory on you PC - it takes quite a while, so make sure you've got it plugged into power.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
paul_marsden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys and thanks for the responses.

To answer some of the questions posed.
To reload the map I found the folder where the tomtom downloads where
(MyDocuments/TomTom/HOME/Downloads and deleted the entire folder. I would suggest you back this up before you do this! - Tom Tom support talked me through this.

I am using a PC so deleting the original map was relatively easy. Back it all up first. Quick format the drive this should remove everything.

I have requested the map to be sent to me via cd / dvd but Tom Tom support have just sent me the same set of notes advising to uninstall and reinstall HOME, download map and try to manually apply it to the Go 700.

I have tried this and winzip tells me that it is corrupt. Interestingly (!) my computer wouldn't auto extract the file (it didn't seem to recognise it as compressed) so i had a search around the web for .cab files and it seems that it is possible that my computer will not auto expand them (some registry setting). I have changed my registry and my pc tells me that i have succeeded. It was then very late so I haven't re-tried yet, but wil do so today.

Have managed to restore my old map so at least I am able to drive around Spain on my hols in a weeks time!

Thanks again all. This is a great forum.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Home will extract the map you don't need to unzip it first, I am not too sure this is what you are doing but you did mention unzipping a download? - Mike
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound bizzare doesn't it?
winzip will open the downloaded .cab files but as you say there is normally no need to do that. Unless TomTom support have instructed otherwise.
paul_marsden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the info that TT support set:

1. Open TomTom HOME
2. Go To ‘File’, ‘Preferences’, ‘Advanced’. Here you will see the link to the HOME downloads folder where all your downloads are stored.
3. Copy the link next to ‘Downloads’ (select the link, right-click and select ‘copy’)
4. Open a new internet browser window
5. Paste the link in the Address bar (click in the Address bar, right-click and select ‘paste’). Then click ‘Enter’. This will open the HOME download folder.
6. Select ‘View’, ‘details’ to see the file extensions. Search for the .cab file associated with your map.
7. Create a new empty folder on your desktop: right click on your desktop and select ‘New’, ‘Folder’. A new,empty folder is created on your desktop.
8. Right click the new folder and select ‘rename’ from the menu.
9. Name this folder the same as the .cab file.
10. Open this cabinet file with the default ZIP program installed on your pc, for example WinZip or WinRar, by double-clicking on the file.
11. Select all files and Extract all files from the .cab file to the new folder on your desktop.
12. Copy the folder to your SD-card/Hard drive. (Right-click the folder and select ‘copy’, then go to ‘My Computer’ where you will find the TomTom as an external removable drive. Double-click the drive to see the content and right-click on an empty spot in its folder and select ‘paste’.)
13. Now the map is installed on your device

Everything was going swimmingly until point 10.

When I tried to install through Home I was informed by Home that there was a problem uncompressing the file (first noticed this when doing the phone updates.

Voices and postcodes for Netherlands and British ISles has uploaded successfully - need to find some more time to re-try the map:!:

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: